Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Helios 44-2 Reverse Aperture Ring Markingss

So I bought a Helios 44-2, and aside from me sucking with manual focus, I like it a lot. The weird thing is the markings are reversed. If I have it wide open the red dot indicates I'm at f/16 instead of f/2 so it's impossible to tell the exact aperture other than at the extreme ends. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue? Was it a mistake with the early lenses fixed in the later models?

06-18-2011, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have this version of the lens, but I seem to remember reading that it has an unusual implementation for aperture setting.

Aren't there 2 rings, one which has click stops and is used to set the desired operating aperture, and another one which is infinitely variable, which sets the actual aperture. It's just a (rather clever) way of implementing a preset aperture: you use the one with click stops to set your target aperture, you open the lens wide with the other one for focusing, then you turn it as far as it's allowed to go and shoot.
06-18-2011, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have helios 44m-3, which is a preset lens, has 2 aperture ring, one chooses the stop but stay open at 2 for composition, focusing etc. and i use the other to just close down to aperture before i take the picture. i hope i'm not wrong
06-18-2011, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

StepOne is right, i have the Jupiter 9 85mm f2, and it's exactly the same way of working. On the ring farest to the Body, you chose aperture. the other ring close or open the iris.

06-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'd have never figured that out. It is pretty slick!
06-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the world of Russian presets

Depending on your style/habits, this may not be of any help, but I set the click ring to f/8 and then use the numbers as a "reverse" guide for the smooth ring. On a wide angle like my 37mm Mir-1 I don't really use f/11 or 16.

f/8 indicated = wide open
f/5.6 indicated = f/4

And so on. Think backwards...f/stops are always enumerated the same I never touch the click ring unless I want f/11 or 16.

Probably darn near everyone (myself included) were intially mystified and confused by the layout
06-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the preset a lot. You choose the f-stop you want, than turn the small ring back to wide open for focussing, turn it back for exposure and do the shot.