Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Still thinking about the lenses, I really want to reduce the lens changes so I may save up my pennies for a DA 12-24 and get her to take that my FA31 and the 55-300.
I was hedging on the 18-135 but it just isnt wide enough and I just want the coverage 'just in case'.
The 24mm of the wide will pass as on ok standard to walk around and the 55-300 isnt wide but she will know in advance when she will need it (eg Bird Colonies) so should be minimal lens changes, using the FA31 mostly for lower light indoors.
Actually come to think of it if I get her a backup K10 she can take both lenses out if necessary, wonder if she will be keen to do that!

06-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #32
Inactive Account

You sure put a lot of effort into what your wife will bring hehe. Did you ask her what she want to bring?
07-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah better leave some room for warm clothes I guess, need to saty warm to take more photos lol
07-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Yeah better leave some room for warm clothes I guess, need to saty warm to take more photos lol
My wife and I went to the Ross Sea area of Antarctica in 2009, on Aurora Expeditions.
On the coldest day of the trip it was -15C with a strong wind, so with wind chill factor it felt like -30C. The DSLRs shooters were having major battery issues; you might want to take a film camera as a backup. I only shot film and had no issues. Leave your gear in the camera bag for an hour when you get back on the ship after a landing, while they warm up to room temperature. Have a few silica gel packs in the bag to absorb any moisture, if you don’t your gear will fog up badly. Wear a light pair of photo gloves under you water proof gloves. Take off the outer gloves while shooting; also bring some hand warmer gel packs.

My advice is to take at least two bodies and multiply lenses. Leave one body/lens on the ship as backups. Also watch out for water damage, as a zodiac got swamped one day and a few people/cameras got drenched. Also get a water proof camera bag. If the ship has a helicopter make sure you have a polarizer for shooting through the plastic windows.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 07-02-2011 at 12:58 AM.
07-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow cool images Phil (excuse the pun) , just bought a film body so might be a good backup to take.