Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens IDs in serial number database

As some of you may know, lenses that are capable of electronic communication have a unique ID number (such as 7-222 for DA L 18-55mm and 7-216 for DA L 55-300mm), stored in the Exif data of pictures taken with a particular lens. In order to facilitate identification of lenses used in pictures from Exif data, I feel that it would be a good idea to include the lens ID for each lens that supports this feature. Any thoughts?

--DragonLord

Edit: To get started, you can use this list of lens IDs, part of the open-source ExifTool package: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Pentax.html#LensType. Just make sure the developer of the software is credited appropriately.

Last edited by bwDraco; 06-19-2011 at 01:45 PM.
06-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If exiftool can print out complete serialized exif data, then it sounds like it's better than the program we're currently using (jhead) which is limited to 20 or so tags!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Edit- I've got it to work! It looks like the tool has the database built in. I can quickly integrate lens data into our albums/attachment EXIF reader, and the gallery as well, but it'll take a bit longer as I didn't write it

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2011, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My idea is that the lens ID should be given at the top of each lens page. Besides, I've realized that the IDs should be listed in the lens review database, not the serial number database. Doh!

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 06-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.
06-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm not sure how much help that would be for non-programmers, as exiftool automatically interprets the codes.

However, I've now incorporated exiftool into our exif reading system, and the lens model will be displayed as the last entry in the table. Rep points to you for the link!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Adam

06-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you!

--DragonLord