Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens for pro Soccer Game

Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to photograph a Chicago Fire game, and was wanting advise on shotting, lens etc.

I have a kx with a 70-200 2.8 lens, is that enough for what I need? Im not looking for the cover of SI, but would like to get as close as possible .

Do I need a teleconvertor, or wait till the players get closer, etc.

A monopod is a must I believe!

Please let me have all your thoughts!!

Thanks, George

06-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geoles2 Quote
or wait till the players get closer, etc.
Dont forget that upto a point, cropping the picture in software can give you decent results. Its kind of like a digital zoom. Works pretty well with the higher megapixels on a K5; not sure about the Kr.

If I had to use one lens that was not too long, I would camp out close to the oppositions goal and try to take most of my shots of the Chicago Fire attacking the goal. I would not worry about getting shots at the other end.
06-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the field is large, so forget about the other site and just concentrate on the part in the corner or site where you are. When players are little dwarfs in your image, don't even bother to push the button. Pro-photographers are next to the field with 400mm lenses and often use a 1,4x TC.
06-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will you have a press pass to get to field level? If so your lens should be fine. If you can get behind the goal you'll have the best chances at good action shots. Corner kicks and other set pieces are great opportunities for high action shots. Decide beforehand though whether you are going to follow a player or the ball and pre-focus where you think the action should be, don't count on autofocus unless it's very fast. Night or day game? If it's a day game you should be fine with hand holding. Even at night I would think you would have a chance with the kx, and Toyota Park would have excellent lighting. I've shot a lot of club and high school games and you don't need tons of reach behind the goal lines. But night games were different, I never had fast enough lenses. But professional stadiums have excellent lighting. I've had my camera at several games in Columbus Crew Stadium but not at field level. Even sitting in the stands you can get decent shots from behind the goal, even at night. But move to the sideline seats and you suffer. So closer is always better. Maybe use a TC if you want shots of the GK at the other end of the field. Whatever you do, good luck and show us some of the photos!

06-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If it's a day game, you might even take along a 300mm zoom and get some good shots with that. Most of the 300mm zooms are fairly light and compact, so it wouldn't add too much to your kit.
06-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Borrow or rent a second body, maybe a Kr or K5. Stick a 500mm mirror on it. Use as needed.