Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am not affiliated with these in either way. I like the early version of the Sigma, plus it would work on my af film body. I think the 24/1.8 is ~ 375. The 2.4 to 1.8 is about a full stop difference. The difference in 2.4 and 2 is half a stop or 50% more light getting to the sensor.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/147346-sale-s...worldwide.html

Edit: The 24/1.8 is a relatively large lens as is the successor to the above 28/1.8. This early version is relatively compact.
Good suggestion. f1.8 would likely be not particularly useful for full scenes, but would be helpful for close-focus images in low light.

I think I would prefer the 35mm f2.4 for the smaller size and lack of need of f1.8 for this sort of shooting, but others would find the aperture indispensable.

06-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Good suggestion. f1.8 would likely be not particularly useful for full scenes, but would be helpful for close-focus images in low light.
Depends on the scene and where you're focusing; the DOF for a 28mm on crop (at f/1.8) isn't really that narrow.

For a scene/subject at a distance of 10 feet, you'd have a DOF of 3 feet.
For a scene/subject at a distance of 25 feet, you'd have a DOF of 20 feet.
For a scene/subject at a distance of 50 feet, you'd have a DOF of 132 feet.
06-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
For a scene/subject at a distance of 10 feet, you'd have a DOF of 3 feet.
For a scene/subject at a distance of 25 feet, you'd have a DOF of 20 feet.
For a scene/subject at a distance of 50 feet, you'd have a DOF of 132 feet.
This is true. I suppose the 28 is a lens worth looking into... would you suggest that it's better than the DA L 35 in general? The FA 35 2.0 is a pretty highly rated lens, and the DA L 35 is pretty much identical except for that 1/2 stop aperture.

I just think people underrate what a deal the 35mm is, just because it's 2.4, when the K5 easily makes up for that difference and then some!

Similar experience with the FA 77 1.8. Sure, in the darkest scenarios, that extra stop of light helped... but the lens also had a large amount of CA, and it often looked better to stop it down to about f2.5 and bump the ISO anyways.

For portraits, the CA was very acceptable and the DOF control was welcome, but for scenes, the lens wide open was not really worth the price of admission.

And this is a highly, highly regarded lens.
06-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This is true. I suppose the 28 is a lens worth looking into... would you suggest that it's better than the DA L 35 in general? The FA 35 2.0 is a pretty highly rated lens, and the DA L 35 is pretty much identical except for that 1/2 stop aperture.

I just think people underrate what a deal the 35mm is, just because it's 2.4, when the K5 easily makes up for that difference and then some!
I think the DAL35/2.4 is an excellent value and would not hesitate to recommend it to just about anyone. Same goes for the FA35/2, which is one of my favorite lenses. I only sold the FA35/2 because I picked up the 31 and I didn't see the need to have both. I actually bought the DAL35/2.4 recently so that my son could use it as I was a little too nervous letting my 4 year-old use my 31 But I've also tried the 35/2.4 myself and feel it's a great lens and for <$200 an excellent value as well.

06-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I could blather about my (mostly) cheap fast manual-focus primes (24-28-35-85 f/2, 50-55 f/1.4), but my lens thoughts boil down to: 35mm isn't really quite right for my type of low-light street shooting -- I prefer wider (24-28) for more scope, or longer (50-55-85) for more selection. Have you shot a lot at 35mm and found that it's a good focal length for you? And do you *need* AF?

Your candidate 35/2.4 on APS-C is roughly equivalent in AoV and DoF to a 55/3.5 on 135/FF -- a bit long and a bit slow, with moderate DoF. My 24/2 is (roughly) like a 35/3.5, and I use it for that thicker DoF and wider AoV. Focusing with thin DoF doesn't bother me because I mostly use CIF (catch-in-focus) with my manual primes.

Of course, besides fast glass, the other ways to deal with low light are 1) tripod, 2) flash, and 3) boost ISO. Have you tried higher ISO? Have you determined your comfort level with noise? Viewers can accept much more noise in people-shots than in thing-shots, mostly. Boosting ISO is much cheaper than buying fast AF lenses!

Oh yeah: Getting the Vivitar-Komine Close-Focus 28/2 for US$20 was one of my best deals ever! Just a superior sharp fast wide-normal lens!
06-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with you on the hood thing, but if I was shooting a 3d scene, f1.4 is not going to cut it no matter how sharp the in focus portions of the image are. Most of the scene will be soft.

With this focal length, f2 would be the minimum one would be able to get anything useful out of, IMHO.

However, for street scenes, my feeling is that a 35mm lens would generally be more useful than a 50. The 35 is sharp wide open, and the shorter focal lengths also enable lower shutter speeds, which help in low light.

The difference is primarily focal length, and while the 50 is a great portrait lens, the 35 is going to be better suited to street scenes.

Of course, the OP can determine which focal length works better for him/her by simply trying them out with his/her zoom.
I understand the difference between 35 and 50mm for shooting different scenes and that is why I own each lens. However, the tests I have seen at three difference sites do not support your assertion that the 35/2.4 is sharp wide open. It is very nice but sharpens up, just as the 50/1.4 does, a bit up at f3.2.
06-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Oh yeah: Getting the Vivitar-Komine Close-Focus 28/2 for US$20 was one of my best deals ever! Just a superior sharp fast wide-normal lens!
Bragging again I see

06-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have seen at three difference sites do not support your assertion that the 35/2.4 is sharp wide open
Define sharp...

---
06-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Bragging again I see
My Super Tak's and Vivitar-Komine glass has always been my greatest assets for glass. My only zoom that I use on real shoots is my 70~210 Viv'ee S1 V3 2.8. I will put that lens up against any other lens in its zoom range it it will compete - that is a guarantee! And don't get me on film with that lens, IMO, it will crush any film lens in its focal range...

---
06-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies and insight.I think I will pick one up and see how it goes.If I don't like it I can always get rid of it on CL.
06-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rockyram Quote
Thanks for all the replies and insight.I think I will pick one up and see how it goes.If I don't like it I can always get rid of it on CL.
That's the spirit

Pretty much what I've been doing for the past two years; buy, try, sell, repeat
06-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Pretty much what I've been doing for the past two years; buy, try, sell, repeat
If you do it well enough you can play with toys for free .
06-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If you do it well enough you can play with toys for free .
Which is the only reason I'm "allowed" to have this many toys
06-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Which is the only reason I'm "allowed" to have this many toys
I've mentioned this before: I have no disposable income. If I want to buy stuff, I must first sell stuff. That's why I'm an eBay lens trader. Buy some stuff; play with some of it; keep some of it; sell the rest of it; buy more stuff. Repeat forever, hopefully. Hmmm, I wonder what I can get for that Tascam ministudio?

BTW dgaies, I'm back home and I made it to the PO and the C-PK adapter is just fine, thanks! Now I just need a camera for it. More stuff...
06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I've mentioned this before: I have no disposable income. If I want to buy stuff, I must first sell stuff. That's why I'm an eBay lens trader. Buy some stuff; play with some of it; keep some of it; sell the rest of it; buy more stuff. Repeat forever, hopefully. Hmmm, I wonder what I can get for that Tascam ministudio?
I have pretty much the same policy; if I want to buy a new lens (or body), I have to first raise the fund by selling another lens (or body). I'll extend myself "credit" (so to speak) if I see something I want to buy and haven't yet sold something to fund it, but at the end of the day I do make sure (the Pentax gear) balance sheet is in the black

BTW dgaies, I'm back home and I made it to the PO and the C-PK adapter is just fine, thanks! Now I just need a camera for it. More stuff...
I had almost forgotten about that, glad it arrived safely. That was one of those items I got bundled with something else and frankly couldn't see myself needing it now or down the road, so I figured it was best to give it to someone who might (eventually) get some use out of it.