Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had both for a while, and the DA was excellent up close while the sigma had some blur up close. The pentax worked excellent with the 1.7x afa, but other tc's would hunt. The sigma/ 1.7x afa had some compatibility issues on mine and with a kenko 1.5x it worked good, but the SR would not be set optimally for the focal length. I liked both lenses a lot and didn't want to sell either, but finally decided to sell the pentax first. Too bad there isn't a nice TC that would work well with sdm and screw drive. I don't think either one would disappoint.

06-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
My guess without having owned either of the two lenses is

1. bokeh
2. WR
3. weight/size

I've noticed most of the birders here have the DA*300 which is probably better wide open and has a better bokeh. But I am wondering - has anyone looked carefully at both of those lenses and is there really much going for DA* 300 apart from size/weight?
personally, I would rather get the Sigma for versatility. both are great lenses but I hate to carry some considerable weight and long lens along with me. if I was so anal about IQ, I'd definitely choose the Sigma. as of the moment, I'm pretty much happy on using my 55-300. the lens may not be as good as the other two lenses, but boy, it's IQ is more than enough to get a good image of the subject. the other perks that I like about that lens is it can go low at 55mm which is really handy, lesser MFD distance which is another plus, and is shorter and lighter than the other two lenses. lastly, it is 3-4x cheaper.
06-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I wasn't really happy with the 55-300 at 300mm but maybe that was my lack of skill or unreasonable expectations. I found images to be fairly flat and lacking in detail. Sure it is very very handy for its size and range.
06-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I wasn't really happy with the 55-300 at 300mm but maybe that was my lack of skill or unreasonable expectations. I found images to be fairly flat and lacking in detail. Sure it is very very handy for its size and range.
I didn't say it can perform miracles. I just said that it is enough to produce a good image (especially at the far end of the focal length) which doesn't mean spectacular. as I said, if one is really into details and great resolution, the other two lenses are the choice to go for. personally, I would choose the Sigma. anyway, had you gotten yourself a copy already?

06-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I forgot another downside to the sigma is no full time manual focus, you have to move the focus ring back and forth. Not a real big deal, but something else to fool with especially if you like to AF with the back button.
06-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I.m in the market for an AF long lens. I currently own an M300/4 and it is incredibly sharp,even wide open. From all I've heard about the DA 300, it is even better so it would be hard to argue against it. Having the versatility of a long zoom is pretty much something I have got used to so if I had to make a choice of either/or, I would probably opt for the zoom. The M fits my needs actually pretty well as I do most of my bird and wildlife shooting from a kayak and always have brush, grass, and other obstructions in the way that play havoc with auto focus. My current inclination is to keep the M and get a Tamron or Sigma 70-200/2.8 for an AF zoom.
06-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Sigma 100-300 for Nikon mount. I have had, and hope to have again the Pentax DA*300. My non scientific observations are that the DA has better IQ than the Sigma at 300mm -- better bokeh by a noticeable amount, and the DA has better sharpness and contrast by a little.

The zoom range of the sigma is terribly convienent, especially since the IQ is so good through the whole range.

However the size and weight of the lenses makes a difference to me too. When part of a 2 person zone defense to multiple children at the zoo, the DA is much more pleasant to carry around.

06-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The older I get, the more I appreciate savings in size and weight--even over some speed.
06-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The older I get, the more I appreciate savings in size and weight--even over some speed.
how about cost?
06-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

That was pretty much my feelings, as well. The 55-300 is an outrageous bargain of a lens and better than it has any right to be for it's price and size, but ultimately, it left me wanting at the long end. I made the just-in-time decision to get the Sigma (when they were discontinued) and have been happy with it ever since, even though it means more of a commitment of both money and carrying weight. I found it to be worth it to me.
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
how about cost?
Other than this last year, getting older has actually improved my ability to afford things I don't need.
06-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Other than this last year, getting older has actually improved my ability to afford things I don't need.
how I envy thou. my ability to afford things was much better last year. I can't remember exactly how many good deals I let slip by this year due to important financial commitments. I just wished those deals were offered last year and had been able to get them. eventhough I could buy them, I just couldn't right now.