Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
35 mm macro limited failed me

The autofocus works from two inches to nine feet, beyond that the green light in the viewfinder blinks indicating it can't focus and it won't let me take the photo. The only way to take the photo is to take it off auto, manually focus and take the picture. The lens is two years old and my favorite. Anyone have this experience?

06-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clem Quote
The autofocus works from two inches to nine feet, beyond that the green light in the viewfinder blinks indicating it can't focus and it won't let me take the photo. The only way to take the photo is to take it off auto, manually focus and take the picture. The lens is two years old and my favorite. Anyone have this experience?
Something similar is going on with my F 70-210, but I don't have any idea what is causing it.
06-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
Interesting. If you understand your camera. Not you only. First you understand your full camera then get good glass. Smile.
that is just maddeningly unhelpful.

I have had a similar issue with my FA77 some time ago, something got caught in the gears that turn the focusing ring and prevented it for focusing at longer distances, I repaired it myself*. Since your lens is a DA series lens with quick shift I surmise the same thing has happened to the AF gears but thankfully it hasn't affected the gearing for the quick shift feature - so you can still manually focus. I recommend you get your lens looked at by a qualified repairer.

* It goes without saying that I don't recommend repairing lenses on one's own, unless you really know what you are doing.
06-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't had this problem with my 35 ltd. I wonder if it is the body's screw drive motor/gear acting up. I would have to do something though because that is my favorite LTD lens of the 4 I have anyway.

06-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
I am wondering how much it will cost and how long it will take Pentax to fix it? Needless to say, I expected the lens to be trouble free for more than two years. I grew up with a Pentax ME which still works. I love the glass and the pictures are remarkable but the reliability, in my opinion, is another black eye for Pentax.

Last edited by clem; 06-22-2011 at 08:49 AM.
06-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I haven't had this problem with my 35 ltd. I wonder if it is the body's screw drive motor/gear acting up. I would have to do something though because that is my favorite LTD lens of the 4 I have anyway.
Tried the lens on two camera bodies, same problem. It is the lens.
06-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clem Quote
Tried the lens on two camera bodies, same problem. It is the lens.
You may want to contact Eric Hendrickson since it is a LTD construction and screw drive and see what he says.

06-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
that is just maddeningly unhelpful.

I have had a similar issue with my FA77 some time ago, something got caught in the gears that turn the focusing ring and prevented it for focusing at longer distances, I repaired it myself*. Since your lens is a DA series lens with quick shift I surmise the same thing has happened to the AF gears but thankfully it hasn't affected the gearing for the quick shift feature - so you can still manually focus. I recommend you get your lens looked at by a qualified repairer.

* It goes without saying that I don't recommend repairing lenses on one's own, unless you really know what you are doing.
What was the problem with your 77mm lens?
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

I had an issue with my DA35 Ltd, which has since been satisfactorily resolved under warranty. Here's my description of the issue, and responses from those wiser than I:

DA35 Ltd Focus Failure: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

(apologies for linking to "the other" forum, but I think it will be more helpful to you than me misinterpreting the responses on your behalf).
06-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hello_Photo Quote
I had an issue with my DA35 Ltd, which has since been satisfactorily resolved under warranty. Here's my description of the issue, and responses from those wiser than I:

DA35 Ltd Focus Failure: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

(apologies for linking to "the other" forum, but I think it will be more helpful to you than me misinterpreting the responses on your behalf).
Do you know what work was done under warranty, what the problem was? I looked at the discussion you pointed me to, three screws out and readjust to infinity was an answer. I am not sure I should attempt it but if that is the problem it doesn't sound expensive to fix. Thanks for your help
06-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You may want to contact Eric Hendrickson since it is a LTD construction and screw drive and see what he says.
How do I get in touch with Eric? Thanks for your response.