Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know that auto focus and f1.2 lenses do that well with each other anyway. Auto focus has to know where you want focus to be and odds are it will pick the end of the nose, or the collar of the shirt rather than the eyes. Better to manual focus if you want that narrow depth of field.
While I'm not terrible at manual focus, I suppose my optimum prime would be one that does both really well. Sometimes, it's just nicer to use AF, sometimes it makes more sense to use MF.

I distinctly remember a night where I wished for such an option. I was in new york... after a long night. Me and a friend went on a walk at 5:30 AM, still slightly intoxicated, (and sleep deprived). We went out and took beautiful photos around new york as the sun was rising.

We were lying on the grass in a free leash park, and a puppy cam running up to meet my friend. I grabbed my camera as quickly as possible to capture the puppy as he ran towards us, but I JUST missed, and the moment was gone. With AF, I think I would have claimed one keeper from that moment.

Sure is a sad story, isn't it :P. But I think my favourite implementation of what I am talking about is the DA 70 - just enough throw for precision, but also tight enough so that AF is very fast, with quickshift. My FA 77 had the better manual feel, but an inferior AF to the 70. The DA ltd compromise is a good one, I think.

Now if I was going to buy a MF only lens, I would not want a focusing ring like the DA 70.

I like talking about this stuff... the limiteds are really special in my experience. I love the feel of using one with my camera. It's part of the experience for me (which is why I pay to play in the first place).

My needs are unique, but at the same time, I feel that my needs reflect a majority of the Pentax market. A good number of the people who use their cameras to make money have moved onto Nikon or Canon because they offer the infrastructure to support a professional (repairs, etc.) Pentax has really struggled in the pro arena, but they have also developed what I believe to be the best enthusiast / fun photo gear that has the quality to match the Nikon and Canon giants.

That's what's so great about the limiteds. Sure, as a pro, you could use them and kick ass with them, but I don't think Pentax should focus on the pro market for long-term viability. I think by developing lenses that enthusiasts would care about, that they will make much more money.

Arguably they are already doing that. Just not as quickly as I selfishly demand!

As for the 31 - I would consider using it as a replacement for the 28mm. I won't be able to for some time, as it is quite an expensive lens. It's a beautiful lens, no doubt. I think I would be willing to buy an f2.8 lens in that range (DA limited variant) for less, seeing as I require the speed in that range much less than at 55mm. If they could somehow remake the 28mm f2.8, with smoother bokeh (make it ASPC only, even) it would be a great lens, even if it does not stack up to the 43 on film.

From those in the know - my K55 performs admirably for the bargain lens it is - and the Voigtlander would certainly be a huge step up from it (I'm keeping my eye on the used market).

However, from those that have used both - how does the Helios 44K-4 match with the performance from the K55?

06-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #62
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I also agree with Rondec about the AF system potentially having a hard time with a 1.2 lens. Don't we bitch about AF enough already?
So true...
06-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #63
axl
Veteran Member

@paperbag, I haven't even held Helios 58 yet alone to shoot with it but from pics I've seen I wouldn't swap K55 for in a lifetime. I used to own K55 and that lens has a lot going for it. But like you I wanted AF when/if needed... I think you should give DA*55 a go, you may end up liking it
06-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I think you should give DA*55 a go, you may end up liking it
I think it's in the long game for me. You're right... no reason to avoid it just because it's WR.

I think I'm going to sell my 50 1.4, stick with the K55, and save my pennies one by one...

I wonder why Ziess does not make AF versions of these lenses?

06-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I think it's in the long game for me. You're right... no reason to avoid it just because it's WR.

I think I'm going to sell my 50 1.4, stick with the K55, and save my pennies one by one...

I wonder why Ziess does not make AF versions of these lenses?
At present, the only AF Zeiss lenses are for the Alpha system such as the Zeiss 85/1.4 and 135/1.8.
06-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
At present, the only AF Zeiss lenses are for the Alpha system such as the Zeiss 85/1.4 and 135/1.8.
I believe a recent poster on this thread has both can attest to their awesomeness
06-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I believe a recent poster on this thread has both can attest to their awesomeness
especially they are AF.