Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #1

Voigtländer macro - first pics

A few days ago I got the Apo-Lanthar 125 mm, but the weather was so bad, I had no opportunity to make a decent picture outdoors. Yesterday the drizzle stopped and although heavily overcast I managed to get a few test photos. Here are a few from our garden:

Vrt_071114-135745_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com
Vrt_071114-140652_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com
Vrt_071114-141108_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com
Vrt_071114-141417_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com
Vrt_071114-143855_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com
Vrt_071114-142340_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com

The wind was causing quite a lot of motion blur (waving the plants) with the relatively long exposure times.
They were all made with the tripod and mirror lockup, except the last one (the mushroom).

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards
Janko

11-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are gorgeous, I can see why people love that lens
11-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

This lens owns Im glad I managed to get my grubby hands on one before they go into the history books. You should put an image into the Voigtlander LBA thread in this forum

This one has got a bit of that VL look that I like

Last edited by and; 11-15-2007 at 08:33 PM.
11-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Oh, and if you want to post your pictures in the thread instead of just links, then just copy the address of your images and click the image button when you are writing or editing your post and put the image url in there.

11-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your comment. Yes, the lens seems to be very good optically. The only drawback that I can see is that diffraction effects start to take its toll already at f/11 and more so at f/16. Sometimes these f-stops can be handy to increase the depth of field.
Mechanically it is a marvel. Focusing can be very precise thanks to the very long throw of the focusing ring (1 and 3/4 of a turn from infinity to closest setting).

Regards

Janko
11-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
This lens owns Im glad I managed to get my grubby hands on one before they go into the history books. You should put an image into the Voigtlander LBA thread in this forum

This one has got a bit of that VL look that I like
I'm also impressed with the quality (optical and mechanical) of the lens.
I would gladly post my pics in an existing Voigtländer thread. Could you post a link?

Thank you for your comment on one of my pics, but to which one does it refer? I can't see any link in your post.

Regards

Janko
11-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Oh, and if you want to post your pictures in the thread instead of just links, then just copy the address of your images and click the image button when you are writing or editing your post and put the image url in there.
Thank you for the advice! I will try it the next time I post a picture on the forum.

Regards

Janko

11-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those shots suck. They really do....cause I don't have that lens, can't afford one right now and want one. By the time I have the money for one they will be even harder to find. So these shots suck because they are so damn good. Very nice film like quality to the images and bokeh like butter. Congrats on the great lens.

I need to win the lotto.....
11-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jankok Quote
Thank you for your comment on one of my pics, but to which one does it refer? I can't see any link in your post.

Regards

Janko
Hi,
OPS.... Seemes like it was not so easy to post images from pbase here, I looked into this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3280-posting-photos-pbase.html

What I did was that I went to the picture page you linked to, and right clicked on the image and chose "copy image address" but that way doesnt seem to work. Instead, go to the picture page, eg http://www(dot)pbase.com/janko/image/88943760 and then copy that address, and add ".jpg" behind it, so the image address becomes http://www(dot)pbase.com/janko/image/88943760.jpg
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
and
Veteran Member

I would gladly post my pics in an existing Voigtländer thread. Could you post a link?
Here is the LBA thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/13248-voigtlae...-thoughts.html
11-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your explanation on how to embed the link to a pic on an external server. I will try to do it.
I've noticed in your profile that you have the Voigtländer 125 and the Pentax FA 100 macro. What are the differences (besides the obvious ones, i.e. autofocus, ...). I would also value your subjective opinion about the images produced by both lenses (resolution, CA, bokeh, ...). Maybe you can post a sample fom both?
Is it true (as can be concluded from photozone.de reviews) that the Pentax upholds the resolving power better at smaller apertures (i.e. f/16 and f/22)?

Regards

Janko
11-16-2007, 06:16 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. Yes the lens is really beautiful. But after looking at the gorgeous pictures on your page, I'm not sure I can do something similar, regardless of the lens I use.

Regards

Janko
11-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
and
Veteran Member

I've noticed in your profile that you have the Voigtländer 125 and the Pentax FA 100 macro. What are the differences (besides the obvious ones, i.e. autofocus, ...). I would also value your subjective opinion about the images produced by both lenses (resolution, CA, bokeh, ...). Maybe you can post a sample fom both?
Is it true (as can be concluded from photozone.de reviews) that the Pentax upholds the resolving power better at smaller apertures (i.e. f/16 and f/22)?

Regards

Janko
sorry I have only owned the Voigtlander for about 1 week now and I have been too busy to do anything besides mess around indoors with it so far.

but I do plan to compare these two, I will have to consider if I should keep them both or sell one of them. Then again the FA has autofocus which can be usefull but I rarely use AF, I use MF with a split prism focusing screen. But if I am shooting something moving or its too dark to use the prism then I turn to AF, so I still apreciate having the option.

when I get time I will try to compare these and post. I can tell you I think the FA 100 is a very nice lens, both as a macro and as a Tele, I have actually used it more as a Tele, since I didnt have a tripod when I got it.

for now I can say something about how it is to use:
- the VL handles nicer and feels lighter, I think in part because it is shorter so the weight is close to the camea
-the MF feel of the VL is a lot better, I love the feel of the VL ring, its not too stiff not too loose, the FA is known for having a bit slarky MF ring, it has a focus clamp that you can turn to increase resistance on the MF ring to make it stiffer, I always keep it at max stiffness when i MF, and then its OK. Also on the VL the whole barrel is the MF ring so its nice to use, the FA has the MF ring at the tip so you have to extend your arm a bit to grab it, with the VL I can hold my focusing hand closer to the camera body, making it feel more stable.

now obviosuly I had the FA and bought the VL so I must think the VL is better, at least from other peoples pictures right? To me the VL has something special, a unique look, a combination I think, of lack of CA and other defects combined with extreme sharpness, making the images very clean and crisp. also i think there is something with the colors. hard to describe, thats one reason why Id like to do a comparison later on.
11-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Now you just convince me to bring mine to my holidays trip. I was having a bit of dilemma to choose one macro out of my collection