Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18
Will an "M" series lens work on the K-r?

I have an old 80mm-200mm, lens. Problem is it's an M series. Is there a way to make this lens work on a K-r? I used the search engine but didn't see anything that answered my question, I apologize if I over looked a thread that answers it.

06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,154
Here is a posting in the Articles forum with the information you need.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Tim
06-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a posting in the Articles forum with the information you need.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Tim
Sorry I missed that thread. I'm having trouble with step 4. My green button isn't doing anything. When I try to take a picture the screen goes black but nothing happens.
06-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
The green button on your Kr has several options. Be sure you are using the correct one. See page 197 in your manual.



06-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18
Original Poster
Yeah I checked that, still didn't work.
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by Jesse Quote
Sorry I missed that thread. I'm having trouble with step 4. My green button isn't doing anything. When I try to take a picture the screen goes black but nothing happens.
When you press the green button the screen will go black and set the exposure. You still have to press the shutter release to take the picture.
06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When you press the green button the screen will go black and set the exposure. You still have to press the shutter release to take the picture.
When you press the green button, the screen does not go black (the mirror would not be up). The problem with the OP is likely a wrong setting in the drive mode with 2 second delay; resetting the drive mode back to single frame would likely solve the problem; just my thought and suggestion anyway...
06-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
When you press the green button, the screen does not go black (the mirror would not be up). The problem with the OP is likely a wrong setting in the drive mode with 2 second delay; resetting the drive mode back to single frame would likely solve the problem; just my thought and suggestion anyway...
If the K-r operates like the K-x (and the K-m before it) the mirror cycles when you press the green button with a M lens. Furthermore, you don't need to have the Green Button set to Green Button. You can press the AV +- button and that will set the P Line. You can set the Green Button to do something else, like Optical Preview.

When you are using an A lens in Manual mode you do have to use the Green Button to set the exposure because the AV +- button switches between shutter speed and aperture. With an A lens the mirror does not cycle when you press the Green Button.


Last edited by boriscleto; 06-23-2011 at 01:34 PM.
06-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18
Original Poster
I had it set to single frame, and the green button set to optical preview...I'm sure I'm just making some small mistake in my settings I just need to figure out what it is, lol.
06-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by Jesse Quote
I had it set to single frame, and the green button set to optical preview...I'm sure I'm just making some small mistake in my settings I just need to figure out what it is, lol.
If the Green Button is set to Optical Preview it will not set the exposure automatically. In Optical Preview the info line in the viewfinder will tell you how many stops up or down the meter thinks you have to adjust the aperture or shutter speed to get the proper exposure. Hitting the AV +- button will set the exposure automatically.
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter
MJL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Canadian WetCoast
Photos: Albums
Posts: 366
M on Kr

I have a Kr and bunch of M lenses. As all the above FMs said, simply set your aperture, put the dial on M and press Green Button to set shutter speed. That's all.
06-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
erf
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If the K-r operates like the K-x (and the K-m before it) the mirror cycles when you press the green button with a M lens. Furthermore, you don't need to have the Green Button set to Green Button. You can press the AV +- button and that will set the P Line. You can set the Green Button to do something else, like Optical Preview.

When you are using an A lens in Manual mode you do have to use the Green Button to set the exposure because the AV +- button switches between shutter speed and aperture. With an A lens the mirror does not cycle when you press the Green Button.
It's not the mirror which cycles when you press the green button, it's the aperture that stops down to your chosen value so that the light meter can take a reading. That's why the viewfinder goes dark. Note that's dark, not black, unless you've chosen f/32 indoors in a room with only one bulb!

If the mirror flipped up the light meter wouldn't get any light at all.
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18
Original Poster
Should there be an f stop? Because its just blinking and theres no number for it...Otherwise Iv'e tried everything that's been suggested. Could there be a problem with the lens?
06-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by Jesse Quote
Should there be an f stop? Because its just blinking and theres no number for it...Otherwise Iv'e tried everything that's been suggested. Could there be a problem with the lens?
Go to Custom menu 22 - Using Aperture Ring and set it to 2 Permitted. The Aperture will then be three solid lines and you should be able to take a picture.
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by erf Quote
It's not the mirror which cycles when you press the green button, it's the aperture that stops down to your chosen value so that the light meter can take a reading. That's why the viewfinder goes dark. Note that's dark, not black, unless you've chosen f/32 indoors in a room with only one bulb!

If the mirror flipped up the light meter wouldn't get any light at all.
The mirror cycles after the lens has stopped down. The viewfinder goes dark then it blacks out. You can feel the mirror going up and down as well as hear it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax lens, series, series lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do custom "artistic" or even "funny" lens caps evenexist? lovemehate Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 02-10-2016 09:10 AM
Which Zoom Lens? "Tamron AF 18-250mm", "Pentax-DA 18-250mm" or "Sigma 18-250mm" hoomanshb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-30-2010 09:50 AM
K-mount Experts: How to convert a "KAF2" lens to "KF"? panoguy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 07-08-2010 05:20 PM
For Sale - Sold: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 2.8-4.0 Macro lens (ver 3 by Komine) with the "A" jjdgti Sold Items 8 11-04-2009 02:55 PM
What do the different lens series "names" mean? Neisey Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 08-19-2009 10:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top