Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Will an "M" series lens work on the K-r?

I have an old 80mm-200mm, lens. Problem is it's an M series. Is there a way to make this lens work on a K-r? I used the search engine but didn't see anything that answered my question, I apologize if I over looked a thread that answers it.

06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a posting in the Articles forum with the information you need.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Tim
06-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a posting in the Articles forum with the information you need.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Tim
Sorry I missed that thread. I'm having trouble with step 4. My green button isn't doing anything. When I try to take a picture the screen goes black but nothing happens.
06-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The green button on your Kr has several options. Be sure you are using the correct one. See page 197 in your manual.

06-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I checked that, still didn't work.
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jesse Quote
Sorry I missed that thread. I'm having trouble with step 4. My green button isn't doing anything. When I try to take a picture the screen goes black but nothing happens.
When you press the green button the screen will go black and set the exposure. You still have to press the shutter release to take the picture.
06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When you press the green button the screen will go black and set the exposure. You still have to press the shutter release to take the picture.
When you press the green button, the screen does not go black (the mirror would not be up). The problem with the OP is likely a wrong setting in the drive mode with 2 second delay; resetting the drive mode back to single frame would likely solve the problem; just my thought and suggestion anyway...

06-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
When you press the green button, the screen does not go black (the mirror would not be up). The problem with the OP is likely a wrong setting in the drive mode with 2 second delay; resetting the drive mode back to single frame would likely solve the problem; just my thought and suggestion anyway...
If the K-r operates like the K-x (and the K-m before it) the mirror cycles when you press the green button with a M lens. Furthermore, you don't need to have the Green Button set to Green Button. You can press the AV +- button and that will set the P Line. You can set the Green Button to do something else, like Optical Preview.

When you are using an A lens in Manual mode you do have to use the Green Button to set the exposure because the AV +- button switches between shutter speed and aperture. With an A lens the mirror does not cycle when you press the Green Button.

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-23-2011 at 01:34 PM.
06-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I had it set to single frame, and the green button set to optical preview...I'm sure I'm just making some small mistake in my settings I just need to figure out what it is, lol.
06-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had it set to single frame, and the green button set to optical preview...I'm sure I'm just making some small mistake in my settings I just need to figure out what it is, lol.
If the Green Button is set to Optical Preview it will not set the exposure automatically. In Optical Preview the info line in the viewfinder will tell you how many stops up or down the meter thinks you have to adjust the aperture or shutter speed to get the proper exposure. Hitting the AV +- button will set the exposure automatically.
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M on Kr

I have a Kr and bunch of M lenses. As all the above FMs said, simply set your aperture, put the dial on M and press Green Button to set shutter speed. That's all.
06-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
erf

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If the K-r operates like the K-x (and the K-m before it) the mirror cycles when you press the green button with a M lens. Furthermore, you don't need to have the Green Button set to Green Button. You can press the AV +- button and that will set the P Line. You can set the Green Button to do something else, like Optical Preview.

When you are using an A lens in Manual mode you do have to use the Green Button to set the exposure because the AV +- button switches between shutter speed and aperture. With an A lens the mirror does not cycle when you press the Green Button.
It's not the mirror which cycles when you press the green button, it's the aperture that stops down to your chosen value so that the light meter can take a reading. That's why the viewfinder goes dark. Note that's dark, not black, unless you've chosen f/32 indoors in a room with only one bulb!

If the mirror flipped up the light meter wouldn't get any light at all.
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Should there be an f stop? Because its just blinking and theres no number for it...Otherwise Iv'e tried everything that's been suggested. Could there be a problem with the lens?
06-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should there be an f stop? Because its just blinking and theres no number for it...Otherwise Iv'e tried everything that's been suggested. Could there be a problem with the lens?
Go to Custom menu 22 - Using Aperture Ring and set it to 2 Permitted. The Aperture will then be three solid lines and you should be able to take a picture.
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erf Quote
It's not the mirror which cycles when you press the green button, it's the aperture that stops down to your chosen value so that the light meter can take a reading. That's why the viewfinder goes dark. Note that's dark, not black, unless you've chosen f/32 indoors in a room with only one bulb!

If the mirror flipped up the light meter wouldn't get any light at all.
The mirror cycles after the lens has stopped down. The viewfinder goes dark then it blacks out. You can feel the mirror going up and down as well as hear it.