Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

I just bought a Sigma 18-250 (!) Good thing?

Wow, I really didn't expect to win the auction. Now part of me is hoping I didn't make a big mistake!

I had been looking on and off for an 18-250 super-zoom, for those times when I don't want to carry multiple lenses. With the Tamron and Pentax 18-250 both discontinued, it was hard to find.

Well, I happened to check an item I had in my eBay Watch List, just before leaving to take my family out to the park. It was a Sigma 18-250, which I had (mistakenly) had been around at the same time as the Tamron and Pentax.

The Tamron and Pentax versions have been selling for $350 to $400 or so on eBay and on Pentax Forums.

With 43 seconds to go, this Sigma was at $293 or something like that. I got a little panicky; that seemed like a pretty low amount. I figured it would shoot up in the last five seconds, like eBay auctions always do. I tried to think: What was the dollar amount I had lodged in my head that was a "good price" for this lens? I didn't have time to check my saved auctions, so I entered $350. The I panicked again, waited, couldn't decide. Auuggghhhh!

Finally, with three seconds left to go, the price hadn't shot up, so I hit the bid button! OMG, I won - $340 was the winning bid!

OK, so now it is AFTER the auction that I started wondering, is the Sigma as good as the Tamron? I tried to do a Google search for a review, all I could find were reviews for this "OS" version. "That's not the one I'm looking for!" I snarled, "where are the reviews for the non-OS version."

OK, color me clueless; I did not even realize that there are NO "non-OS" versions of this lens. All Sigma makes is a stabilized version.

Wow, so now I have an OS lens, even though I really don't need one, because I shoot Pentax.

I guess I'm happy. After all, I have been looking for a super-zoom for awhile now. From what reviews I have read, the lens seems pretty good, for what it is. We all know that super-zooms will never be as sharp as primes. But the Sigma seems top have less CA than the Tamron, and less vignetting as well, but also may be a little softer wide open.

It got two good reviews here on PF:
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Lens Reviews - Zoom Lenses - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Sorry to be such a pain; I'm just having an anxiety attack of buyer's remorse! Please tell me I didn't just make a $340 mistake!

--Greg

06-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats for the purchase. This is a good price.

There have been a few PF member reports on the Sigma 18-250mm HSM OS. All were positive and suggested that the lens was on par with the DA18-250mm / Tammy 18-250mm. A few suggested that it might be better, but I do not know any true comparative.

Just remember one thing: with the Sigma, do not use the lens OS at the same time as the in-camera SR. Use one, or the other.

Last edited by hcc; 06-24-2011 at 12:59 AM.