Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

THAT's why I used Pentax Limited Lenses

Taken with the K-5, and the 70mm 2.4. It's got such beautiful contrast and (dare I say it)...bokeh. This is a photograph of my girlfriend from a day where we were enjoying a small park in Hoboken, NJ. The 70mm is a longer lens than I'm used to using, but it's a really lovely lens. Right now I have the 70, and the 31, and the 16-50. I'm thinking about getting the 14, or the 200. I have a Fuji X100 so the 21mm seems redundant...correct me if I'm wrong!

One thing I can say is I wish they would embrace more 1.4 apertures. Not because I think we need the light, but because of the Pentax commitment to APS-C. 1.4 would help out with depth of field.

So anyways I started this thread so people could post their "wow" moment photos. Those pictures where you can really say, ok, that's why I use Pentax, and Pentax Limited lenses. I personally abandoned full frame (both a D700, then a 5D2) for what Pentax has to offer, and I'm currently having these THATs why I use Pentax moments. It's all in the lenses, wow. (I guess the tough as nails, low light king, dynamic range champ stuff helps too).

Lets see some pics!

06-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #2

Its all a matter of taste. There is no good or bad bokeh.
I think you're girlfriend is beautifull and the bokeh of your
lens in this picture at least distracting, mirror-lens-like even.
06-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Girl friends have a way of bringing out the best in a piece of glass.

Cheers...
06-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
Right now I have the 70, and the 31, and the 16-50. I'm thinking about getting the 14, or the 200. I have a Fuji X100 so the 21mm seems redundant...correct me if I'm wrong! ... I personally abandoned full frame (both a D700, then a 5D2) for what Pentax has to offer, and I'm currently having these THATs why I use Pentax moments.
The 21mm migt be redundant, if you carry both the Pentax and Fuji at all times, and if you think the glass on the Fuji gives you these same 'wow' moments.

However, as you've spent about $11,000 on the equipment you mention, plus whatever you spent on lenses for the Nikon and Canon (so probably nearer $14,000?) and you are talking of spending more, then I expect you can afford an assistant to carry your equipment for you. So yes, if you're equally happy with the Fuji images as you are the Pentax ones, a 21mm Ltd would be redundant.

Your photo is great, your equipment is lovely, your girlfriend is pretty, and are very well paid. Well done

06-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by freewheeler Quote
Its all a matter of taste. There is no good or bad bokeh.
I think you're girlfriend is beautifull and the bokeh of your
lens in this picture at least distracting
, mirror-lens-like even.
It's only distracting because (IMO) there's too much of it. It fills almost half the frame. A tighter crop perhaps to a square format would help a lot.

06-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Bokeh looks good to me - great shot.
06-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just got my first Limited and it is the 70mm 2.4. Also not used to this length (mostly 35mm), but I started to love this one. Nice picture and Pretty GF BTW.
06-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's only distracting because (IMO) there's too much of it. It fills almost half the frame. A tighter crop perhaps to a square format would help a lot.

I would agree.

06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Yes I think this would be an excellent square crop.
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
The 21mm migt be redundant, if you carry both the Pentax and Fuji at all times, and if you think the glass on the Fuji gives you these same 'wow' moments.

However, as you've spent about $11,000 on the equipment you mention, plus whatever you spent on lenses for the Nikon and Canon (so probably nearer $14,000?) and you are talking of spending more, then I expect you can afford an assistant to carry your equipment for you. So yes, if you're equally happy with the Fuji images as you are the Pentax ones, a 21mm Ltd would be redundant.

Your photo is great, your equipment is lovely, your girlfriend is pretty, and are very well paid. Well done
Haha, certainly not. This was over the course of 3 years. Money was pretty much recouped on the selling of existing gear. I am by NO MEANS wealthy. I have a modest income here in NYC. :-) Just a lot of passion for photography. Pentax has so far saved me money with their very fair prices, and very fine equipment.
06-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Beautiful shot. The contrast and colour are very Pentax. The bokeh has a Helios 44-4 look to it, which I like! You can tell your a lens freak when you relegate your girlfriend to the corner of the shot to allow plenty of room for bokeh!
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #12

I have to agree with Jeff, a square crop would make this photo better. Although the bokeh is nice, the photo looks unbalanced, there's too much free space at the top.
06-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
TKH
Veteran Member

For me Pentax is a very good camera with small "Leica like" lenses. Best for take with you every day.

FA43 at f1.9

FA43 at f2

DA21 at f3.5

Knowing to shoot the right way, Pentax.

Rainer
06-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax have got the right formula for these Limited lenses.
Small, yet pack an IQ punch that few lenses anywhere can compare with.
Their criticism of being 'slower' than that of rival brands' high end glass is of relative relevance.
If f/1.4 isn't needed, then you can't get better IMO.

There are many wow moments posted in the The FA Limited Club - PentaxForums.com and I've been spoiled by the FA 43mm Ltd.... - PentaxForums.com

...but to add something here:

FA 31

FA 43

FA 77
12-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It fills almost half the frame. A tighter crop perhaps to a square format would help a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
You can tell your a lens freak when you relegate your girlfriend to the corner of the shot to allow plenty of room for bokeh!
Listen to JeffJS and jhasa. Crop it square and tight all the way. No GF, just bokeh