Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member
vievetrick's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Easthampton - Massachusetts - USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,175
M80 your comment about giving something reminds me of the Mastercard commercial after the Sox won the World Series in 04. Dennis Leary has to give one up after making such a comments. So be carefull what you wish for someday it may come true and you will have to pay up. LOLOLLOLOL . Boy I need a coffee. Tom where are the pictures????

12-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 630
Nice tips on the tripod and head Roy, I'll be grabbing one of those for my 500/4.5.

Incidentally, the thought of using that lens as a 135mm f6.7 is positively hilarious A prime at that length and max aperture would be the size of a plantain....LOL....
12-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Owning a 300mm f/2.8 I'd give my right nut for its 120-300mm f/2.8 sister. Maybe that's just me but the Sigma zoom is said to be so good I'd give up a tiny bit of sharpness for the flexibility and greater usability.
That is what my 70-200 f2.8 plus 1.4 x TC does.
12-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Nice tips on the tripod and head Roy, I'll be grabbing one of those for my 500/4.5.

Incidentally, the thought of using that lens as a 135mm f6.7 is positively hilarious A prime at that length and max aperture would be the size of a plantain....LOL....
Come on now this is the ultimate walk about lens. Long enough to be used as a walking cane, Heavy enough to beat off muggers and a focal length that allows any mid to long tele shot to be in range. What more could you ask for.

Come on Tom We're waiting for your assessment of this beautiful beast!

12-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,885
And now I have a 135-600mm too, and it’s big, REALLY big. Hm I need a new tripod…
09-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 499
Any of you guys that have the 135-600 get a lens plate for it (Arca-Swiss, RRS or KE)? Which one, or how many mount holes are available for attachment?

I ordered one, and am trying to get a jump on ordering a plate for it.

Thanks.

I promise to see a therapist soon about my LBA
09-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #22
Senior Member
Andres's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buenos Aires
Photos: Albums
Posts: 224
MAN! I want one of those!!!

I'd love to see it on a MX... it would be funny to see that super big canon on that pretty small body
10-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 499
Taming the beast...

I've got a solution to the "wild imbalance" of this lens (just got my Really Right Stuff package today).

I used an L84 lens plate (3.6" long, no-twist flange), two B2-Pro/L clamps (drill out the threads of the two 1/4" X 20 screw holes in one clamp, then mount them back to back with two 1/4" X 20 X 3/4" screws), and an 18" camera support bar. The back to back clamps mount to the lens plate and the support bar, and the support bar gets clamped onto your tripod head (a Wimberley Gimbal head is ideal). With this setup, you can use the generous length of the support bar to get the lens/camera combination into fingertip balance on a Gimbal head, which will make it a joy to use. The space resulting from the back to back clamps gives you good room for your hand to operate the zoom/focusing ring as well. The stuff is pricey, but without it the lens would be unpleasant to use and would probably end up collecting dust, which would be a sin. Of course, if you're a metal fabricator, you can probably custom build something.

10-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
Site Supporter
jamesk8752's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Suburban Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I've got a solution to the "wild imbalance" of this lens (just got my Really Right Stuff package today).

I used an L84 lens plate (3.6" long, no-twist flange), two B2-Pro/L clamps (drill out the threads of the two 1/4" X 20 screw holes in one clamp, then mount them back to back with two 1/4" X 20 X 3/4" screws), and an 18" camera support bar. The back to back clamps mount to the lens plate and the support bar, and the support bar gets clamped onto your tripod head (a Wimberley Gimbal head is ideal). With this setup, you can use the generous length of the support bar to get the lens/camera combination into fingertip balance on a Gimbal head, which will make it a joy to use. The space resulting from the back to back clamps gives you good room for your hand to operate the zoom/focusing ring as well. The stuff is pricey, but without it the lens would be unpleasant to use and would probably end up collecting dust, which would be a sin. Of course, if you're a metal fabricator, you can probably custom build something.
Thanks for the info - I need to assemble something like this to make my copy more usable.

BTW. how do you find the exposure metering accuracy as you stop it down. Mine progressively underexposes, big time...
10-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #25
Pentaxian
fearview's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jakarta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,067
will we be allow to carry it into a cabin plane?

dudeee


its look like bazoooka to meee


--


waiting to see the result pictures from it

congratulation
10-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 499
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Thanks for the info - I need to assemble something like this to make my copy more usable.

BTW. how do you find the exposure metering accuracy as you stop it down. Mine progressively underexposes, big time...
Sadly, with the short days, it's sundown by the time I get home from work these days, and I'm running around all weekend (up to MA today, down to NYC tomorrow), so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'll keep you posted, though...
10-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Waukegan, IL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 83
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Have you seen the Pentax 1000 f8 in ebay?....That has to be a hell of a monster also.


This guy? SMC Pentax 8/1000mm f Camera Pentax K - eBay (item 350101310153 end time Oct-23-08 05:22:31 PDT)
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
Wonderful lens - congratulations! Re: the tripod mount, I just received a 600mm Lentar which has a very heavy and well-designed mount that puts the weight further forward. There is a pic on my 'Glass - long and heavy' post. I tried the lens this afternoon and think I'll get acceptable product from it even tho my trial shots were handheld. I look forward to trying it with the PTX 1.7 F AF TC.........that would be 1020mm, right? Ha!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
close-up, jim, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top