Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

DA* 200 purchase concerns

Hi:

Not sure if the B&H forum was correct for this, but I wanted to get some advice from people and was hoping the lens forum would be ok.

As some of you know I recently purchased a DA* 200 from B&H and had some concerns about the lens hood and more importantly the sharpness of the lens at the wider apertures. I returned it and just got a replacement.

I opened the shipping box and found the Pentax box to have some dents/folds in it. Not too much, but definitely there. The box was taped shut with a small piece of tape. I opened the Pentax box and the lens was clearly re-packaged as if it either were a return or someone at B&H took it out and examined it before shipping it to me (which would be fine perhaps, though it could have been better re-packaged if that is the case). The warranty/manual materials were loose, as well.

When I took the lens cap off to put on a Rodenstock 77mm UV filter I saw the lens glass was dusty. Not horribly, but as if some one had been using the lens perhaps w/o a filter on it (i.e., not a brand new lens to me).

I have several Pentax lenses and have bought from B&H before. Though my forum posts may show me to be a pixel peeper, I am a pretty reasonable customer. This lens clearly had been opened up, taken out, perhaps used, and re-packaged.

Of course, it is Friday and B&H will not re-open until Sunday and I wanted to use the lens for some wildlife work tomorrow. I may still do that, but this really surprises me and was wondering if anyone has any opinions beyond what I am suspecting.

I will call B&H on Sunday, but I imagine they will not have very specific notes about the particular lens they shipped to me--I assume they will tell me it was brand new.

I am really disappointed since I have not had anything but great experiences with B&H and I bought a new lens, not a used one.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thank you in advance.

06-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had my share experience of receiving used or probably returned goods sold as new from B&H. For such high dollar item, I would seek for another exchange and they will pay for the shipping. Dusty front element indicates it's probably a demo. Also, due to the rather poor B&H packaging and very rough UPS handling, crushed boxes are becoming routine. I have more luck with Purolator but still, sometimes the loosely packed boxes just hadn't any chance.
06-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot speak for B&H, although I have dealt with them and always been happy.

However, I spent a lot of time in retail and I think it is fairly common for returns to go back on the shelf. The question we always asked the customer was whether the item was defective or not. If they said defective it went onto the return to manufacturer pile. If the reason was "just did not like" the item received a quick check over to make sure all parts were there and back on the shelf.

All that does not mean you have to keep it if it bothers you. And dusty, dirty maybe should have gone to the clearance bin rather than full price. I would probably at least complain if it were me.
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm cheap but when I lay out my money for new I expect new. What you got definitely does not sound new to me. I hate dealing with returns, seriously hate it. But in this instance I would because new Pentax lenses do not have dust on the front element and you paid for the experience of opening a new lens. Good Luck.

06-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:

Thanks so much for the replies.

I will call B&H on Sunday (tomorrow) and talk with customer service. I tend to think I will return it and buy elsewhere, but I will at least see what they have to say. I am dissapppinted, because it was clear even before I opened the Pentax box that the lens/box was not new.

Anyway, thank you again.
06-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The title of this thread is mis-leading and in the wrong forum. There isn't anything wrong with the DA* 200.2.8.

If you have a vendor problem take it over here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/

If you have a corporate problem take it over here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/
06-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The title of this thread is mis-leading and in the wrong forum. There isn't anything wrong with the DA* 200.2.8.

If you have a vendor problem take it over here:

Ask B&H Photo! - PentaxForums.com

If you have a corporate problem take it over here:

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
The title is just fine - in MY opinion. He says "purchase concerns" not "lens design is sh*t" for gosh sake!!

Perhaps he wanted OUR input on the issue BEFORE taking it to B&H? I'm less than impressed with the brisk nature of the responses on the B&H Forum and can understand why someone would want other opinions about their perceptions PRIOR to taking a complaint to them.
06-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The title is just fine - in MY opinion. He says "purchase concerns" not "lens design is sh*t" for gosh sake!!

Perhaps he wanted OUR input on the issue BEFORE taking it to B&H? I'm less than impressed with the brisk nature of the responses on the B&H Forum and can understand why someone would want other opinions about their perceptions PRIOR to taking a complaint to them.
While a agree about starting a brisk thread in there, this is still the same type of thread. There is the PM and email option with the reps that monitor that forum. The title is unclear whether it is about the purchasing process or if there is some implied concern over SDM and such. In this particular case, it doesn't really matter the lens model or even manufacturer, it is the actual sales transaction.

06-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:

Thank you all for the replies. I was unsure if this was the proper forum, but as Docrwm indicated I was looking for your input before calling B&H. I also did not want to start a thread in the B&H forum, as I did not want to create a "complaining thread." I also did not want to name B&H in my thread title (though, I needed to identify the vendor in my post), hence my perhaps "not so clear" thread title.

I did speak with B&H today. The individual with whom I spoke I believe I have spoken with in the past. He was very nice and certainly happily provided me with the option for a prepaid refund. He indicated I could use the lens for a few days (the RMA is good for 10 days) and then make a decision.

I used the lens today and will take a look at my images tomorrow.

My sense is that I will return the lens. The packaging obviously concerned me, but the dust on the lens front makes it pretty clear the lens was a return (though, I guess it is possible it was an in-store demo).

Nonetheless, B&H was very nice and while I remain disappointed with the purchase I guess I really cannot ask for any better customer service. I was treated very politely and offered a postage prepaid return and complete refund.

Thank you all again.
06-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Glad you were happy with the telephone contact. Its just not good CS IMHO when you send out a replacement, didn't you post that this is lens #2?, that looks to be either a return or a demo model. It should be marked as Slightly used or, as Amazon does, "Like New" and the price should reflect that fact IMHO.
06-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:

Yes, this was the second lens. I returned a 31 Limited a year and a half ago too soon, I think. Since then, I really have tried to take my time with anything new to make sure I am using it correctly and being reasonable in my expectations.

I have had some not so good luck with some gear: two SDM repairs for my 16-50 (AF just died; all is well so far after the second repair). My first K7 would not focus, no matter any af micro adjustment, with any of my lenses. My first K5 had the stains and they were visible at studio apertures (i.e., f/8). I could see spots on my wife's nose--she was not happy until I assured her of the stains!!

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Last edited by candgpics; 06-27-2011 at 03:22 PM.
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:

I decided to return the DA* 200 to B&H for a refund. I am making one more attempt and have purchased it elsewhere and should get it tomorrow.

A better report coming soon I hope.
06-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
Hi:

I decided to return the DA* 200 to B&H for a refund. I am making one more attempt and have purchased it elsewhere and should get it tomorrow.

A better report coming soon I hope.
Good luck.
06-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have horrible experience with Ritz camera - they sell me a new lens (DA 10-17) that turn out to be a shelf copy. The lens front glass has a layer of dust! horrible CS as well - will not refund my shipping cost. Never buy again from them.

Since then I only deal with Amazon, Adorama and BHphoto.