Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
31limited vs combo 30+35

Oportunity of obtaining K35/3.5 got me thinking. Originaly I thought that it will nicely complement Fa31, replacing FA at the hiking when there's a risk of damaging the limited. I intended to purchase k35/3.5 as a landscape lens.
But then the second thought if K35 is going to be used for landscapes, where overall sharpness is critical, do I really need FA31 for doing bokeh shots, low light photography or street photos, where edge sharpness is not so important? Or could I use Sigma 30/1.4 for that?
So what is your opinion? Do you think that combo K35/3,5 + Sigma 30/1.4 could be equivalent substitution for FA31?

06-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Oportunity of obtaining K35/3.5 got me thinking. Originaly I thought that it will nicely complement Fa31, replacing FA at the hiking when there's a risk of damaging the limited. I intended to purchase k35/3.5 as a landscape lens.
But then the second thought if K35 is going to be used for landscapes, where overall sharpness is critical, do I really need FA31 for doing bokeh shots, low light photography or street photos, where edge sharpness is not so important? Or could I use Sigma 30/1.4 for that?
So what is your opinion? Do you think that combo K35/3,5 + Sigma 30/1.4 could be equivalent substitution for FA31?
If it was me, i'd just get one lens in the 31 area, say the Sigma you mentioned or an F 28 f2.8 and then get the DA*21. Looking at your profile you don't have anything wide and the DA*21 is such a natural for street shooting, IMHO and you have a talent for it from your gallery!

I very much hope that lightning won't strike me immediately , but the price of the 31 puts me off immediately. There are so many good Pentax lenses, 2 for the price of one 31 seems to make a lot of sense.
06-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
actually

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
If it was me, i'd just get one lens in the 31 area, say the Sigma you mentioned or an F 28 f2.8 and then get the DA*21. Looking at your profile you don't have anything wide and the DA*21 is such a natural for street shooting, IMHO and you have a talent for it from your gallery!

I very much hope that lightning won't strike me immediately , but the price of the 31 puts me off immediately. There are so many good Pentax lenses, 2 for the price of one 31 seems to make a lot of sense.
actually i recently got K20/4....mainly for landscapes, but on a bright days it is also great as a street lens with interesting perspective. So I have WA covered. And thanks for your kind words anout talent....still plenty of work to do in this aspect, but it is work becoming fun.
06-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K35/3,5 + Sigma 30/1.4 = FA31 f1.8 Ltd ?? No in my opinion. The FA31mm is a great performer in a wide range of conditions incl. low light. Why do you want two lenses when one does the job? I do not follow the logic.

I have the FA31mm and I regard it as my most important prime lens. The focal length is not too wide, not too narrow. The IQ is outstanding, and the lens is fast. It does very well with portrait, landscape including in low light.

My thoughts and humble opinion.....

06-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
K35/3,5 + Sigma 30/1.4 = FA31 f1.8 Ltd ?? No in my opinion. The FA31mm is a great performer in a wide range of conditions incl. low light. Why do you want two lenses when one does the job? I do not follow the logic.

I have the FA31mm and I regard it as my most important prime lens. The focal length is not too wide, not too narrow. The IQ is outstanding, and the lens is fast. It does very well with portrait, landscape including in low light.

My thoughts and humble opinion.....
I agree, FA 31 is great, but here is the logic: it is simple - as hinted by Phil above :

ad 1 - for FA31 I can get sigma 30/1.4 + K35/3.5 + SMC85/1.8 (or DA70)
ad 2 - I think I'm not that skilled photographer yet to exploit the possibilities of FA31
ad 3 - sometimes I'm taking my equipment into harsh environment, where I'm scared of damaging FA31, so I will be getting K35 probably anyway
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ad 2 - I think I'm not that skilled photographer yet to exploit the possibilities of FA31
ad 3 - sometimes I'm taking my equipment into harsh environment, where I'm scared of damaging FA31, so I will be getting K35 probably anyway

1. Probably great economics but the 31Ltd. is great all-round lens in all light.
2. The 31Ltd. won't make you a great photog but what it can do will fool some of your viewers
3. Never understood this one. It's a tool. Might get scuffed. Might have to take care in handling but it's a minature tank and can probably withstand harsher conditions than the user. If you want it pretty for posterity, shelve it when you go outside. But I have it in my bag most of the time with rain, snow, salt water, cold, you name it.
06-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
I agree, FA 31 is great, but here is the logic: it is simple - as hinted by Phil above :

Ad1- K35 nor Sigma 30 can touch 31ltd in the way that lens renders. 31 is sharp corner to corner, very sharp wide open especially at closer distances and very sharp stopped down at any distance. It's OOF rendering is unrivaled from what I've seen at those focal lengths and only approached by some fast 50s and bettere by 1 or 2 lenses under 100mm! Why would you want to replace it by two lenses each of which can only do one of above thing?

Ad2- it doesn't matter what kind of photogrpher you are or you think you are. I've seens shots from 31ltd by well regarded folks on this forum that simply wouldn't even make it from my SD card to my PC. Others liked those shots. 31 will make you better photogrpher because you'll aspire to exploit it's capabilities in full extent. And the saying goes, practising makes masters...

Ad3- 31 ltd is easier to repair and replace then old K series, why? It's still produced! I've shot my ltds in rain and snow, fog of London, sands of Egypt, mist of Slovak mountains etc... All of the survivived just fine, you just need to take basic care.

All in all, get/keep 31. You'll be revarded! It's not regarded as one of the finest AF lenses of all times in any system by pure luck, it trully deserves it!

My 2p
06-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it makes sense to own the least number of lenses possible to accomplish your goals.

In this case, I think the 31 does everything you need and if you like it, you should keep it.

Besides, you might not be fully exploiting the capabilities of it today - but you will always be growing in skill if you keep shooting!

06-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your comments. Doubts are gone, more hard practice with FA31 ahead....sigma and K35 spell is rendered harmless for some time....