Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which lens would you recommend?

I will be using my K10d to take pictures at our company xmas party. We invite our employees to bring their children to have their picture taken with Santa. I have the 18-55mm, 50-200mm, M50 1.7, SMC 28mm 2.0, & M200 4. The photos will be taken indoors with a black backdrop using two light stands with photographic bulbs in them. I have no idea what type of bulbs are in the light stands, just that they are "photographic bulbs". Which lens would you recommend?

Jeff

11-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Are these light stands strobes or hot lights? I'm thinking with the kid and Santa, you'll need pretty good depth of field to get both of them sharp. Maybe f8 or f11 with the 28mm or 50mm depending on space. I'd think wider would be better with this. Put it on a tripod and keep focus set. Should be easy after you dial it in with the first one.

Most importantly, have fun. Good Luck.
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The 50, with the 18-55 in your bag.
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'd say they are "hot lights", on all the time? Thanks for your suggestions Matt.

Jeff

11-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
SpecialK, ya I think having one of my AF lenses with me would be good. The kids don't always hold still long enough to focus manually.
I used to live in H.B. I miss the beach!!

Jeff
11-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #6

Depends on the distance you can get up to the Santa+kid... I'd say try get away a bit so the kids (you don't know them...) are less responsive to the camera thus giving more natural results. You know, kids that enjoy themselves with Santa. If you were 1 meter away from them, it would be a kid enjoying themselves with Santa AND a camera guy. Just saying.

I'd say you need around 8meters distance, and probably between 50-70mm focal range. This also creates a nice DOF with the F4 your 50-200 does. Just try on the spot. F8-11 imo puts too much of the background in there, and hot lights aren't that keen on giving -lots- of power either, so you'll need a big aperture probably.

Edit to add: IF they are genuine studio lights however, you can just adjust their power to match your F-value ofcourse. Also, MF could work if Santa+kid is always in the same position and you could put your camera on a tripod... However it does not seem to be that case
11-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
barendvl, I will be using a tripod and shooting from about 3-5 meters away. I found out the lights are Smith Victor Model A80. With Sylvania ECT 3200K 500W bulbs. Did not see any kind of a power adjust feature on them. Santa will be sitting in a chair with the kid(s) sitting on his knee. The backdrop is a black curtain, so I am restricted to keep within the curtains dimension. I think I might take 3 lenses and try to get some test shots before the kids get there. Thanks for your input.

Jeff