Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting conversation RE: Sigma 70-200 SDM

Was on the phone to a high-up at the Aus importers for Pentax and Sigma today. Called him about something else, but he knew I was looking for a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 before they disappeared.

He said that Sigma were due to be manufacturing this lens, in Pentax mount, from early November meaning a January-February release. However, he was speaking to someone from Sigma and they said the lens is "on hold, pending introduction of new technologies". My contact questioned whether this meant incorporation of SDM into the lens, which was responded to with a "possibly".

He is confident this means yes. No ETA, but I'd be happy to wait a bit for an SDM version of this lens. He did mention Easter though.

I only hope they go to full SDM and not a hybrid like the early DA*'s. Hopefully this will mean higher AF speeds as their isn't the weight of 2 technologies.

Let's face it, Sigma doesn't need to support screw-drive AF systems to make the lenses backwards compatible, they need to produce what sells. Every new Pentax body will have SDM so why not make it only SDM. Surely that would streamline the process as I would assume a lot of technology from the Canon and Nikon-mount HSM lenses could be used.

Cheers,

Adam.

11-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 SOUNDS REAL COOL
11-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That would kill any possible sales to the people who recently bought their K110D's and K100d'S
11-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That would kill any possible sales to the people who recently bought their K110D's and K100d'S
IMO for the price that sort of lens is going I doubt many of the k100/110d users would even consider buying it.

IMO current k100/110d users have the camera because they didn't want to get a p&s, or need a "cheap" back up camera.

11-16-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
IMO for the price that sort of lens is going I doubt many of the k100/110d users would even consider buying it.

IMO current k100/110d users have the camera because they didn't want to get a p&s, or need a "cheap" back up camera.
Oh, I don't know.... I bought my 70-200 when I was shooting with a DS. There are plenty of people with K100's that would love a 70-200 f2.8 lens. Also, don't forget the folks that own a K100 as a backup to their K10D.
11-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 SOUNDS REAL COOL
Yes, yes it does.
11-16-2007, 06:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a real problem with all those who think no one with a 6 MP camera would want a 70-200 f/2.8. It almost boarders on arrogance.

I bought my Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG shortly after I got my *istD, 4 years ago now.

I have used that lens A LOT, both for wildlife (when coupled to the 1.4x TC) and for stage performances in low light because speed is everything! In some respects, especially low light, I actually think the *istD is better than the K10D because it can go to 3200 ISO, but i digress.

regardless of whether you have a 6 MP or 10 MP camera, consider the following

- you are buying the lens for probably much longer than the life of the camera body. If not, why is there so much interest in maintaining compatibility.
- the lens will still take great photos on a 6 MP camera that can easily be blown upo to 24 inches
- in the end, usually the best photos are generated by the person behind the camera, and a great well exposed, well composed and sharp 6 MP photo is better than a poor 10 MP photo. The lens goes a long way to helping in this area.

ps, I have since upgraded to a K10D, but the *istD still gets work.
11-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I didn't mean that the k100d wouldn't do the job. What I meant was that people who can afford to buy that sort of lens have most probably upgraded to a k10d.

11-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I didn't mean that the k100d wouldn't do the job. What I meant was that people who can afford to buy that sort of lens have most probably upgraded to a k10d.
This I do not believe is very accurate either..I own a K10D and it is the least used of all my cameras...I love the K11OD and K100Super....I am not doing prints larger than 8x10...There is also not much of a difference in price between the K100D and the K10D...
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

that is a lense I have been keeping my eye on for some time now
Mainly for it's speed...It would be a great addition to my lenses for when i shoot motorsports as well as anything needing low light performance such as concerts or inddor events
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Does this mean that If I own the top nikon or canon and go out to get a 400mm F2.8 or what ever lens costs about $10K that I have the wrong body just because the ratio of lens to camera price is too high?

When we shot film, there were a lot of people who had the best lenses possible and would put them on inexpensive cameras because at the end of the day, the sole purpose of the camera was to hold the film flat and accurately meter the light and control the shutter.

given that image quality is about equal, and unless there are specific needs to purchase one brand (like forensics where fuji has made a true niche) does it matter?
11-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Don't think 6mp owners won't buy good glass! Bought the 31 & 77 to put on the DS. Also bought A*200 macro ( after buying K10D). Would have bought this lens for the DS if it had been available then. Friend has the D and bought 31, 70, 85 1.4, and 200 2.8. Yes he now has a K10D. I wouldn't want the new lenses to only fit the new body. Just used the DS last night on telescope (comet). It kills the K10D for this application. Also kills it for IR shooting. Sometimes 6mp is the right tool.
thanks
barondla
11-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Don't think 6mp owners won't buy good glass! Bought the 31 & 77 to put on the DS. Also bought A*200 macro ( after buying K10D). Would have bought this lens for the DS if it had been available then. Friend has the D and bought 31, 70, 85 1.4, and 200 2.8. Yes he now has a K10D. I wouldn't want the new lenses to only fit the new body. Just used the DS last night on telescope (comet). It kills the K10D for this application. Also kills it for IR shooting. Sometimes 6mp is the right tool.
thanks
barondla
While one can assume that ultimately support for the screw drive mechanism will go away,
it's a bit soon and audacious to abandon it at this juncture. After all SDM has only been on the market for a few months and it wasn't until july that the K100 super came out. I suspect that non super models are still being sold at this time as current models. There are also all of the digital models sold since 2003. To produce a lens that won't work with most of the 'installed base' seems pretty stupid to me.
11-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I for one would want one of these lenses, and have no intentions of updating to the K10D.
No offense Pentax, I'm just waiting to see what you come up with to replace it with, and I hope that it has the Foveon image sensor (or equivalent)
11-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I for one would want one of these lenses, and have no intentions of updating to the K10D.
No offense Pentax, I'm just waiting to see what you come up with to replace it with, and I hope that it has the Foveon image sensor (or equivalent)
exactly my point. unless you have more money than sense you don't buy every new model
they put out. I was a fairly early adopter of pentax digital buying a istD, but I didn't seriously consider buying any of the models until the K10 came out, as I couldn't see enough difference
in the half a dozen or so models leading up to the K10 to inspire me to run out and get one.

Likewise, I assume that to get a little more milage out of the K10 design there will be a K10
'super' some day with an extra button or two but I probably won't pay much attention.

On the other hand a 14 or 20 mp sensor with a digital zoom in the K10 price range would get my attention.