Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I absolutely LOVE my DA 15. No regrets at all on the purchase. In the 2 months I have owned it, it has been on the camera for 75% or more of my shots.

06-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah seems like I need to get one. 16-45 is not an option because of size.
06-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Im not much of a wide angle shooter, but when I do come across I wide angle shot I always have the DA15 at the ready, its always in my camera bag because it takes up no room to bring it with me where ever I go, the size alone of the lens is a huge factor considering most wide angle lenses are quite bulky. And if I did own a bulky wide angle lens, nine times out of ten I would probably leave it at home.
06-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I also had a 10-20 first. It's a fine lens, but as Axl said, I too felt it was missing something. I tried a 15 and loved it from the first time I mounted it. Sold the 10-20 immediately and have never looked back. Only the 8-16 sometimes tempts me as it is a truly unique lens. Mostly, though, I find 15 to be plenty wide enough for me.
Wow... I could have written the above. +1 without reservation.

06-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love my 15mm, have it in my bag 90% of the time.
06-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the 15 for IQ and portability. I got a Rokinon 8mm for those super-wide shots when I feel like carrying more, but most of the time 15 is plenty wide so I can travel lighter.
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 10-20 vs. Pentax DA15.

If you like shooting at 10mm, there’s no way 15mm will ever serve as an adequate or satisfying substitute. So here's a little exercise you might want to try... take your Sigma 10-20 and set it at 15mm. Then go out and shoot lots of pictures and see if you can resist pulling back to 10mm........ If you can live within the confines of 15mm and not wish for a wider perspective, then you might be able to live with the DA15.

Speaking from the experience of owning both lenses, there’s no substitute for focal length. In the same way 100mm lens can never be an adequate replacement for a 500mm lens, neither can a 15mm lens be an adequate replacement a 10mm lens -- because the difference between 10mm and 15mm is HUGE! It can’t be stressed enough… Every mm at the short end makes a HUGE difference.

Personally, I don’t much care for the elongated spiky star burst effect of the DA15. It’s just too contrived and unrestrained for my tastes. So in the end, that was another reason to let go of the DA15 and keep the Sigma 10-20. However like all Pentax limited lenses, the build quality of the DA15 is first rate. Some people don’t like the built in hood, but I never had an issue with it.

Otherwise the optical quality of both lenses is very good. However I found the DA15 to be a little soft at f4, so it needs be stopped down before it really sharpens up.

06-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Sigma 10-20 vs. Pentax DA15.

If you like shooting at 10mm, there’s no way 15mm will ever serve as an adequate or satisfying substitute. So here's a little exercise you might want to try... take your Sigma 10-20 and set it at 15mm. Then go out and shoot lots of pictures and see if you can resist pulling back to 10mm........ If you can live within the confines of 15mm and not wish for a wider perspective, then you might be able to live with the DA15.
As a well-known DA15 hater, JHD is trying to trick you. It would be human nature to try and go wider, longer, faster, etc. when you can. A better test is to try a DA15 for a while, if it doesn't satisfy you, return it for a refund. It's not like all of us that had a 10-20 realized that we shot mostly at 15 so we just swapped it for a DA15. It's appeal is about more than just FL. It's just plain more enjoyable to shoot with (for pretty much everyone except JHD). Like many have said, it turns out that 15 is plenty wide most of the time.

Honestly, though, if you want to go with a bigger, wider lens, I would get a 8-16 over a 10-20. Make it worth the size/weight disadvantage to get something truly unique.
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

As a well-known DA15 hater, JHD is trying to trick you.
Just think if the DA15 had an SDM motor... I can't imagine what JHD's last post might have looked like

Joking aside, I don't think JHD is trying to "trick" the OP as much as he just clearly doesn't care for the 15 and wants to express his preference for the 10-20 in a sea of pro-15 support. Most people who have tried the 10-20 know it's a very capable lens for around the same price as the 15. So at the end of the day everyone has to decide for themselves if the extra utility of the FL range of the 10-20 is more important than the forum factor of the 15. An extra 5mm at the wide end is certainly significant, but not very useful if you left the lens at home because and didn't take it with you.
06-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Just think if the DA15 had an SDM motor... I can't imagine what JHD's last post might have looked like

Joking aside, I don't think JHD is trying to "trick" the OP as much as he just clearly doesn't care for the 15 and wants to express his preference for the 10-20 in a sea of pro-15 support. Most people who have tried the 10-20 know it's a very capable lens for around the same price as the 15. So at the end of the day everyone has to decide for themselves if the extra utility of the FL range of the 10-20 is more important than the forum factor of the 15. An extra 5mm at the wide end is certainly significant, but not very useful if you left the lens at home because and didn't take it with you.
No, I really think he's trying to trick 'im.
06-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #26
JHD
Veteran Member

As a well-known DA15 hater, JHD is trying to trick you.

Honestly, though, if you want to go with a bigger, wider lens, I would get a 8-16 over a 10-20. Make it worth the size/weight disadvantage to get something truly unique.
That's absurd! The truth is I'm just not another lemming / fan boy.

To reiterate, if 15mm is wide enough, you might be happy with the DA15. What dog lover would have everyone believe that is that focal length doesn't matter.

If Pentax ever comes out with a 10mm prime (even an poor quality one) the fan boys will go berserk completely astonished at how much wider 10mm is over 15mm. Such is the nature of fan boys.

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-28-2011 at 03:09 AM.
06-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

True, I can't imagine anyone has ever accused you of being a Pentax fan boy.

To reiterate, if 15mm is wide enough, you might be happy with the DA15. What dog lover would have everyone believe that is that focal length doesn't matter.
Well, if 15mm is wide enough for someone, then they would (not might) be happy with the 15. I don't recall reading anything DogLover wrote to suggest FL doesn't matter. He said 15 is often wide enough and that the enjoyment of using the 15 isn't about FL.

If Pentax ever comes out with a 10mm prime (even an poor quality one) the fan boys will go berserk completely astonished at how much wider 10mm is over 15mm. Such is the nature of fan boys.
Of course that's a true statement; by definition a fan boy would go berserk for any new Pentax lens. even a 10mm with crappy IQ. But, contrary to your belief, the vast majority of people who are posting in this thread (who you presume to be blind Pentax fan boys) are quite objective when it comes to making decisions about the lenses they purchase and use.

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-28-2011 at 03:10 AM.
06-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I would not sell the 10-20 if the 15 is going to be your widest lens.
I'd wholeheartedly agree with that, even though I don't own a DA15 (I do have the Sigma 10-20 and the Pentax DA14/2.8) and I know what you mean about not wanting the bulk of some lenses.

However, as others have said, there will be times when you'll miss the width of the 10-20 because you know what it can do. On the other hand, if there's a financial imperative, that's a different matter.
06-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #29
JHD
Veteran Member

True, I can't imagine anyone has ever accused you of being a Pentax fan boy.
Not a fan of any brand.

Well, if 15mm is wide enough for someone, then they would (not might) be happy with the 15.
That starburst effect is too over the top and there's no way to restrain it. It really gets tiresome which makes it a novelty lens in my mind. Look at all the starburst shots in the DA15 thread, it's obvious many people bought the lens for that purpose.

I don't recall reading anything DogLover wrote to suggest FL doesn't matter.
He implied by saying, "It's appeal is about more than just FL. It's just plain more enjoyable to shoot with...."

...contrary to your belief, the vast majority of people who are posting in this thread (who you presume to be blind Pentax fan boys) are quite objective when it comes to making decisions about the lenses they purchase and use.
That's debatable. Of all the hobbies I find when it comes to photography - regardless of the brand - people are more religious, bigoted and fanatical about their favorite brand, than anyone else in any other hobby.
06-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

To reiterate, if 15mm is wide enough, you might be happy with the DA15. What dog lover would have everyone believe that is that focal length doesn't matter. That's just outrageously stupid.
First of all, I will thank you not to refer to what you view as my points of view as stupid, even though you completely misconstrued what I said. I have never done that and I'm pretty sure that's against forum rules. Indeed, I never said FL doesn't matter. I said that the pleasure of using a DA15 trumps the FL advantage of the 10-20.

QuoteQuote:
Wrong again. As many of us have said, we have already had a 10-20. It's not as though we are unenlightened and don't know what 10mm is like. If they came out with a 10mm prime that is only slightly larger than the 15, similarly designed and as much fun to use, then yes, I would be all over that.