Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Non-SMC Screw-Mounts; Any Good?

Hello,

What are the experience with Non-SMC Takumar Screw Mounts?

There is some version of Lens Coating, right? It just is not the SMC brand?

What are the comparisons of NON-SMC versus SMC; generally?

I have read these great links:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/SMC.html

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/non-SMC.html

Thanks

11-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
does anyone have a NON-SMC lens?
11-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the non-SMC screw mount lenses are good.

Among others:
Super-Takumar 1:1.9/85 Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com
Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com
Super-Takumar 1:2/35 Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com
11-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
ycl

Super Taks are very good

I have two non-SMC screw mounts: a Super Takumar 105 f/2.8 and a Super Takumar 135 f/2.5. Both are very fine lenses. I have not noticed any real difference between these two lenses and the many SMC lenses I have (though not screw mounts -- M, A, and FA series).

My guess is that while the SMC coating matters in some circumstances, it doesn't matter in most.

11-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh yes, I love my non SMC coated Super Takumars! They have just a little different look to them. The main difference I think is flare reduction with the SMC coated lenses. So I always use a hood with my Super Tak's. Also the contrast is not quite as high with the Super Tak's, but sometimes this is a good thing!
11-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I must also add my positive response to this thread....

I've been lucky enough to own both "M" and Super Tak versions of 35mm, 28mm and 50mm lenses and I've found the super taks to be very nice glass indeed, especially now that SMC seems to be code for "add an extra 25% to your bid" on ebay.

I will say that my SMC coated lenses seem to be a bit more contrasty than the Super takumars, but there isn't anything wrong with the sharpness and quality of the non SMC lenses.

germar
Austin, Texas
11-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
vnice pics with the Taks, carpents

is SMC a premium to consider, yes; however it seems that Taks are definitely competitive

11-17-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Non SMC lens are every bit as good as their counterparts in respect to sharpness and resolution, you just have to be a bit more mindful of what your shooting. Strong contrast scenes like branches on an over cast day, anything pure white with a dark background etc will display a visible amount of CA especially with telephotos. Nothing PP can't handle. Flare is not as bad as some people think. Its just that bit better with the SMC versions which also control CA well. The Super Takumar 55 1.8 is a very nice sleeper of a lens and can usually be found in abundance for very little. My current favourite lens is a Super Takumar 200 3.5, has a quality thats hard to describe but definetly a different look to any of my other manual lens.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 11-17-2007 at 12:25 AM.
11-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Oh yes, I love my non SMC coated Super Takumars! They have just a little different look to them. The main difference I think is flare reduction with the SMC coated lenses. So I always use a hood with my Super Tak's. Also the contrast is not quite as high with the Super Tak's, but sometimes this is a good thing!
My thoughts exactly. Though the SMC 50 1.4 is a cracker of a lens i find its too sharp for portraits, especially of women, i think the Super Takumar 55 is way more flattering for portaiture so i only use the 50 for still life, macros etc...one other tid bit....the 55 is the only manual lens i have used that has given me the 3d relation between foreground, subject and background that the limiteds seem to exhibit. Not as pronounced, but its there.