Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Back-focus issues notwithstanding, I'm continuing to shoot with this lens and I'm starting to warm up to it. I took it along today when we took our daughters to lunch at Longhorn Steakhouse after ballet and then to get their haircuts. Below are some of the keepers from today. I'm still experimenting with f/1.4, so all of the pictures were shot at f/1.4 even if some of the pictures may have benefited from more depth of field.

And here's some shots I got while at work the other day. The lens arrived in the mail just before I was leaving for work, and I knew it was going to be a long shift thinking about the lens all day, so I grabbed it before I left and played with it at work. In the two pictures of my car with its emergency lights on, you can see the difference the aperture size has on the way bright light sources are rendered.
Great shots Edgar every one of them.. I can't believe I am thinking about this lens when I already had a FA31 LTD. This place is evil.. pure evil..... ;-)

Last edited by bossa; 12-13-2011 at 12:01 AM.
12-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Yes, I noticed that some small but OOF flowers tend to look like they're vibrating. Not sure if that's astigmatism or what...

This was a reply to EFV a few posts ago.
12-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Would be at an earlier exchange rate where the OZ$ was less than the greenback? B&H only charge GST and import duty based on the actual item price so today's exchange rate would incur no taxes. Do you buy all of your lenses from B&H?
Australia customs charge the tax on import not B&H,
I have bought many items from B&H/adorama and but I also buy local too if its cheaper, (Sigma lenses are cheaper here)

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
This is an amazing lens and my favorite AF lens to this date, but it's not without a weakness.
In my opinion, the edgy and triangular bokeh is a weakness. It feels a bit harsh and sometimes distracting, but then again, I love the sharpness and the subject isolation it gives me.
Yes the way this lens renders its subjects in isolation is incredible
12-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Australia customs charge the tax on import not B&H,
I have bought many items from B&H/adorama and but I also buy local too if its cheaper, (Sigma lenses are cheaper here)

Yes the way this lens renders its subjects in isolation is incredible
I was told in an email that B&H charge the GST and pass it on. Are you saying that a sub AU$1,000 lens cost you GST & duty?

EDIT: Sorry I read my email and it said that the GST is paid here and that the shipping is not included. That seemed to go against what has happened to me in the past as I remember it. Customs include shipping costs and they charge for the entire shipment and not on an item-by-item basis, if I remember rightly.

Last edited by bossa; 12-12-2011 at 11:58 PM.
12-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #245
Veteran Member

Original Poster
customs charge tax on items over $1000. Ive been charged in the past
12-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #246
Veteran Member

customs charge tax on items over $1000. Ive been charged in the past
What I'm getting at is: Do they include shipping costs as well as item price in that $1000?

Last edited by bossa; 12-13-2011 at 12:34 AM.
12-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #247
Forum Member

What I'm getting at is: Do they include shipping costs as well as item price in that $1000?
In the UK they charge on the shipping and insurance, so it is not just the cost of the item. Then if you receive it from some of the big delivery companies, you get handling charges and are always invoiced for the custom duty, and taxed for the pleasure. This usually adds between 24 and 30% to the cost.
Nigel

12-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trickletreat Quote
In the UK they charge on the shipping and insurance, so it is not just the cost of the item. Then if you receive it from some of the big delivery companies, you get handling charges and are always invoiced for the custom duty, and taxed for the pleasure. This usually adds between 24 and 30% to the cost.
Nigel
I bought a Yamaha AW4416 from a guy in the US a few years ago at a, then, bargain price. He thought he'd do me a favour and add $700 to the quoted price for insurance and I was charged $100 more than I would have been when the FedEx guy dropped it off. In Australia they charge 10% GST (VAT) and 4% Import Duty on anything over $1000. But I seem to remember they added the shipping costs on as well. This was about 8 years ago and I was completely taken by surprise.
12-13-2011, 01:41 AM   #249
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah they caught me out about six years ago when i bought a carbon-fibre sunroof.
They ring you up and say your item has arived but its going to cost an arm and a leg
before you can have it.
12-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #250
Veteran Member

yeah they caught me out about six years ago when i bought a carbon-fibre sunroof.
They ring you up and say your item has arived but its going to cost an arm and a leg
before you can have it.
Yeah, they aren't exactly friendly either. The FedEx guy was though.
12-13-2011, 05:03 AM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
i must say, this is a great lens, but i have expended a lot of time fine tunning the autofocus. actually if i remember well, on my k-5 fw 1.01 the focus was just fine, but after the upgrade not so good

Superb 3D there. Very nice catch ... it's not easy to get those shots.
12-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that 2nd shot of your son the Sigma or the DA? The octagonal COC are a let down don't you think? Otherwise a very lovely shot.
It was done with the Sigma at f2.5. The DA 55 would have rendered everything in a circular fashion, even stopped down. Overall, I have been very pleased with this lens. It has nice center sharpness, even wide open and edges aren't too bad. Who would shoot landscapes at f1.4 anyway?
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Superb 3D there. Very nice catch ... it's not easy to get those shots.
Thank you very much.The 3D is strong in this one.
Some time ago i recieved as a gift the fabulous fa31, it is sharper, but the sigma isolate the subject better and even more, it gather more light at the same aperture
12-18-2011, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #254

Really like this lens for indoor use. Just have to remember to shoot wide open if there are distracting point lights in the background. I also feel that the AF is not as precise as the DA* 55 or DA 35 Macro Limited that I own… could be user error though.
12-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote

Really like this lens for indoor use. Just have to remember to shoot wide open if there are distracting point lights in the background. I also feel that the AF is not as precise as the DA* 55 or DA 35 Macro Limited that I own… could be user error though.
Joakimfors,

Great picture! That's a perfect example of what this lens can do in certain situations. With a lot of other lenses, that image would not have been anything extraordinarily special. But that picture shows that the 30mm 1.4, when used right, is magical.