Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
Nice doggy. Without the body that can do AF adjustment, this lens is useless.
Are you actually being serious?

All lenses could possible need some AF adjustment on a particular body..

I have a Sigma 30mm/1.4 and it needed zero adjustment on one body and +5 on the other.

09-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Thanks for the careful and informative response, Simon. I've been waffling about that lens for some time - partly because of the edge sharpness problems and partly because, well, I came to Pentax for the lenses; sometimes seems odd to say that and then buy a third party lens

Still, I've looked at it for some time. It looks like a behemoth. It's screw drive focus, right? Not HSM?

I like the way your images look, but that's true regardless of the lens you're using.

I spent some time - several times - looking over the images on pixel-peeper.com from this lens. I must confess that I rarely see an image that shows its edge weaknesses.
The beauty of having an f/1.4 lens is shooting nice narrow DOF shots. In this scenario the sharpness of the edge is irrelevent. Personally I think Sigma have done the right thing by designing the thing so it's optimally sharp in the centre.

I wouldn't use this lens for sharp right across the field landscape ( or whatever ) shots.

It's sad that reviews of this lens haven't been able to see the sense in the lens design, but then I'm not suprised.
09-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Still really enjoying this lens:

The biggest weakness to me is that out of focus areas can be rendered pretty harshly. I guess I am too used to the DA limiteds/DA *55 ability to smooth out the backgrounds.

10-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple more photos of my son: (both at f1.4, I think).

10-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #140
Veteran Member

couple of new ones from me

night time out on the street at ISO1600 and f1.4

and the next day, bored but relaxed...this was f2.0

10-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #141

I've been impressed by the 3D effect of the Sigma 50/1.4 on a 5D mk2. This comes pretty close
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had pretty much made up my mind to make the jump to the 31mm FA Ltd...funding for which, would have to come from the Sigma 30mm as well as others.

Took the 30mm out again today....and I scratch my head wondering just how much better the 31mm would have preformed in this situation. Such a great lens....the wife's favorite....in that she's loved the family shots taken by this lens more than any other.

10-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome pics guys!

10-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wide open

10-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #145
Veteran Member

me gusta, TOUGEFC.

I'm very very torn up right now.
I only have enough money to get either Sigma 30mm OR TAMRON 28-75.
I want the tammy for versatile application for everyday use, but I reeeeeally like how the photos you guys post here look.
UGH. HELP!
10-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
me gusta, TOUGEFC.

I want the tammy for versatile application for everyday use, but I reeeeeally like how the photos you guys post here look.
UGH. HELP!
That's a hard choice. To me, you are either a prime shooter or a zoom shooter. Once I got "hooked" on primes I much prefer shooting with them (although there are times when I go out with my family that I will use zooms for flexibility). The Tamron is an excellent lens, but obviously it is quite a bit bigger and two stops slower than the Sigma. You just need to figure out what you like and go that way.

Just to be warned, collecting primes often can end up a lot more expensive than getting one zoom....
10-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL Ricky, exactly a month ago in this thread (previous page) you pretty much said the same thing!

I agree with what Rondec just wrote.
Me, Im a prime guy and f/2.8 is too slow for me (in that range).
10-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #148
Veteran Member

As you can tell from my list of lens, I've no zoom lens.
This has been the tough one on my conscious. I can't justify spending a $400+ on a single lens that only does one thing, versus a lens that I can just slap on my camera and walk out.
argh ; -; I think I'll end up with Sigma, but let me fight with my conscious for a bit longer. I want to resist the urge to spend money carelessly.
10-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #149

me gusta, TOUGEFC.

UGH. HELP!
Having the exact same dillemma right now, actually. Still not quite sure which way I will go. Currently have the DA 18-135, and looking to add on. decisions decisions...
10-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #150
Veteran Member

As you can tell from my list of lens, I've no zoom lens.
This has been the tough one on my conscious. I can't justify spending a $400+ on a single lens that only does one thing, versus a lens that I can just slap on my camera and walk out.
argh ; -; I think I'll end up with Sigma, but let me fight with my conscious for a bit longer. I want to resist the urge to spend money carelessly.
Ricky, I think you also need to take into consideration just how sharp the 30/1.4 is. I do quite a lot of street shooting and can easily shoot a guy 30 yds away and then crop to the format I want, so long as I hit accurate focus I always considered 30mm either not long enough or not wide enough for street but now it's hardly ever off my camera in those situations. The bigger consideration (for me) was that 1.4. It just opens up so many more options (creative and low light). That said the Tamron has a great rep.

N.B. There are so many outlets where you can hire lenses in the US, a weekly rental would only be $15-20 and then you would know for sure if the FL suits your style of shooting.