Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Maybe TOUGEFC will answer, but it looks to me like the magic in his photos comes from an excellent eye for lighting and composition, more than from any Photoshop wizardry. I believe he may also use some off-camera lighting sometimes. If a picture is properly composed and lighted, there's not much processing required.

I use my 30mm on a K-x with excellent results. The image quality between the K-x and K-5 is very close. The K-5 has slightly better high ISO, but from what I've seen the difference is really splitting hairs. The K-5 has a lot more going for it than just image quality though. Better video features, weather resistant, superior AF, higher build quality, etc. But if you're on a budget, the K-x or K-r will get you almost equal image quality to the K-5.

If I get a chance later, I'll post a few recent 30mm images from my K-x.
I think sensor-wise, the kx punches way above its weight class. Obviously K5 is better built with more buttons.

The biggest thing with regard to a f1.4 lens is if your camera doesn't have auto focus adjustment capability for individual lenses, you have to be willing to send it away to be calibrated with the lens. I think you had a pretty good experience with that, Ed, didn't you?

04-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #347
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest thing with regard to a f1.4 lens is if your camera doesn't have auto focus adjustment capability for individual lenses, you have to be willing to send it away to be calibrated with the lens. I think you had a pretty good experience with that, Ed, didn't you?
I've owned a variety of lenses with my K-x, but I guess I've been lucky so far because the only one that's needed calibrated has been my Sigma 30mm 1.4. It was consistently front-focusing when I first got it. I sent it to Sigma in NY with my K-x to be calibrated to my body. Sigma serviced it and returned it the same day they received it, so the whole process, including transit time, only took about a week. They tested the lens on my K-x, and adjust the AF software in the lens accordingly. It now focuses perfectly, so I was very impressed with the entire process.

I also included my 50-150mm f/2.8 in the package to Sigma since it needed the firmware updated for live view on the K-x. They upgraded the firmware and tested the focus calibration, but confirmed my experience that it was already spot-on on my K-x.

But focus adjustment is an important advantage of the K-5, especially for users of fast glass. Whatever camera I buy next, one of the criteria will be focus adjustment for individual lenses. But even so, sending my camera/lens off to Sigma was not a painful experience.
04-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Who said the SIGMA 30mm is only sharp in the center???

ISO 100, 1/125 , f/1.4 -

Its hard to tell from this shot alone, but the Sigma 30 may have some degree of "field curvature" where the field of focus lies not in a simple plane but one that is curved in a cup like shape. I've read that if "soft areas" can be eliminated by adjusting the focus different than the center area, than its not softness at all, its "field curvature".

Anyway, a fun shot with tons of creamy bokeh!
04-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #349
Forum Member

You guys sure are fast responders. I apologize for the "obviousity" of my lack of knowledge on the matter. Thank you for your clarifications.

04-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've owned a variety of lenses with my K-x, but I guess I've been lucky so far because the only one that's needed calibrated has been my Sigma 30mm 1.4. It was consistently front-focusing when I first got it. I sent it to Sigma in NY with my K-x to be calibrated to my body. Sigma serviced it and returned it the same day they received it, so the whole process, including transit time, only took about a week. They tested the lens on my K-x, and adjust the AF software in the lens accordingly. It now focuses perfectly, so I was very impressed with the entire process.
I tested the Sigma 30 on the day i got it and was front focusing as well so switch it for another copy that was better.
04-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I tested the Sigma 30 on the day i got it and was front focusing as well so switch it for another copy that was better.
Did you get yours in a store? If you bought it online, and have to pay to ship it for an exchange, I would probably just send it to Sigma instead for calibration. If you do the swap thing, there's no guarantee that your second copy will be a better match for your camera.
04-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #352
Veteran Member

Yes local store and no was a free exchange, it's quite conmen to do that here.
I'm even allowed to test a lens for a week and if I don't like it I can return it and get a refund.
It's a small shop but if i want to try out some lenses they even order it for me.

They are around 5% more expensive then the cheapest internet store so good value.

With the K5 you can adjust per lens basis so i just need to have a lens that was close enough, the first one was too far of to correct it.

04-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #353
Site Supporter

Yes local store and no was a free exchange, it's quite conmen to do that here.
I'm even allowed to test a lens for a week and if I don't like it I can return it and get a refund.
It's a small shop but if i want to try out some lenses they even order it for me.

They are around 5% more expensive then the cheapest internet store so good value.

With the K5 you can adjust per lens basis so i just need to have a lens that was close enough, the first one was too far of to correct it.

I was lucky the copy I got focused perfectly with my K-5. Except there was multi-coat damage so I am sending it back.
04-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #354
Veteran Member

And here we are complaining about Pentax quality control
04-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #355
Site Supporter

And here we are complaining about Pentax quality control
It was used so the damage came from the previous owner. I was surprised it focused dead on though!
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #356
Forum Member

K20D + Sigma 30mm @ f/1.8
10-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #357
Veteran Member

Wow this thread is making me get LBA, still interested to know what the focusing is like in low light - shoot a lot of dance photography and the lighting is poor at best; hence may get the 50mm f1.4 sigma due to the HSM and full time override allowing you to adjust it manually.
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #358
Veteran Member

Problem with dancing and f/1.4 is that the focus is quite shallow so it will be hard to get the moving dancers sharp.
10-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #359

I like it. This is the lens that I always have on my k5. Have tried 35mm,40mm,50mm and they were all to narrow for my use. Love my 30mm. Now if only Pentax has similar 30mm 1.4. Hmm...
10-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #360
Veteran Member

Problem with dancing and f/1.4 is that the focus is quite shallow so it will be hard to get the moving dancers sharp.
Very true!