Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice comparison of CPL Filters

Was looking for a good CPL filter for my Pentax 45-125 zoom. It takes such incredibly sharp pictures that I wanted a really good filter. Found this site that tested ~25 CPL models from a bunch of makers. Thought I'd share it as the search here did not find anything comparable to it.

Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

06-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That list is actually a couple of years old, but I believe it's still useful. I've referred to it myself as a reference for choosing a CPL. It's what led me to the Marumi DHG Super. They also have one on the same site for UV filters, if you choose to use one.
06-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like great information. There is a lot to read to fully understand their ratings, so I've bookmarked it.

Thanks for posting.

Tim
06-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I've posted links to that roundup about six times here in this forum over the last year.

For those interested, there was also the supplemental followup which expanded the results:

Polarizing filters test - supplement - Introduction - Lenstip.com

06-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I think I've posted links to that roundup about six times here in this forum over the last year.

For those interested, there was also the supplemental followup which expanded the results:

Polarizing filters test - supplement - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Thanks for the updated link. Sorry but a search could not find your earlier postings.
06-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the updated link. Sorry but a search could not find your earlier postings.
I more often than not link to reviews in response to someone's particular question, and as a result I think useful links I post probably reach a smaller audience than they would if they were posted solo like this, so this thread is definitely useful.
06-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I more often than not link to reviews in response to someone's particular question, and as a result I think useful links I post probably reach a smaller audience than they would if they were posted solo like this, so this thread is definitely useful.
Thanks, do you have other resources that would be useful on this topic? Personally, I'm trying to learn as much as possible and make the most cost-effective purchases and any truly independent information on this would be greatly appreciated.
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, do you have other resources that would be useful on this topic? Personally, I'm trying to learn as much as possible and make the most cost-effective purchases and any truly independent information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Lenstip also has a UV filters test and supplement, and there are some other filter reviews and comparisons I've come across, and some of that applies to polarizing filters as well (in terms of comparing the build quality and coatings of different brands and filter lines)...

This page has some good general tips on using polarizers, and this page has some more specific suggestions. There's also some useful info on filters (including polarizers) in this wiki.

06-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lenstip also has a UV filters test and supplement, and there are some other filter reviews and comparisons I've come across, and some of that applies to polarizing filters as well (in terms of comparing the build quality and coatings of different brands and filter lines)...

This page has some good general tips on using polarizers, and this page has some more specific suggestions. There's also some useful info on filters (including polarizers) in this wiki.
Thanks a bunch!