Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tamron UK warranty duration?

My 17-50mm f/2.8 has developed a problem with it's zoom ring. It doesn't always catch, and is very notchy.

I emailed Tamron UK and they told me the lens has a 1 year warranty. There's nothing I can find on their website or the lens documentation that suggests it should be more, but I seem to remember hearing they had longer warranties than that.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

06-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
CMW
Inactive Account

You don't mention when you bought the lens or where. If you bought it in the UK (hence your email to Tamron UK?), you should know that the retailer has obligations under the Sale of Goods Act that are quite distinct from any warranty the manufacturer may offer. Briefly, if the lens develops a fault that has a design or manufacturing origin within a certain time, you can require the retailer (not the manufactuer) to remedy it. The time frame depends on matters such as cost and normal expectations. If your penny whistle breaks a year after purchase, you don't have a case; but the failure of a lens costing several hundred pounds after, say, 18 months is a different matter. Retailers like sometimes to pretend they don't have these obligations, but they do. Even if you bought the lens in Ireland, it's worth checking the legislation. (If you bought a 'grey import' I'm afraid you have little protection.) Good luck.
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I bought it on ebay, although it included a receipt from Park cameras in the UK, where it was purchased in February of last year.

I've heard mention of 5 year warranties for Tamron elsewhere.

Tamron informed me that they would only send the lens to a UK address. This isn't really a problem as I have family there.
06-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
CMW
Inactive Account

Oh dear, afraid you have no come-back against Park Cameras of course, since their obligation was to the original purchaser. It seems that the Tamron warranty is 6 years in the US but only 1 year in the UK. Seems lopsided ....