Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: if Tamron Produced the lens in Pentax fit, how many of you would be interested at £30
Yes 1354.17%
No 833.33%
Maybe 14.17%
Would need to be cheaper 28.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnw Quote
I have the DA*300, a fine lens, not something I'd want to carry all day though.
Can you comment a bit more on your experience with it? Is it because of size or weight that you don't want to carry it around?

QuoteOriginally posted by johnw Quote
The comparison is a little unbalanced don't you think? Nikon D90 12.3Mp against a Pentax K20D 14.6Mp.
I know it's on different cameras, but it's better than nothing and I couldn't find the Tamrons reviewed on Pentax cameras. You can select other cameras with more similar resolution from the dropdown boxes for the Nikon/Canon versions of the Tamron lenses. I don't think you'll see very strong changes in scoring. None of them is a stellar lens if you look at the overall scores and the fact they have no green areas in resolution and CA charts - they're mostly red with some yellow. Too bad they didn't review the DA* 300 yet to see how much better that is by comparison.

Here's a review from photozone, on Canon APS. Unfortunately, you can't find the budget Tamron to compare it. On Pentax, the budget Tamron was looking good, so the SP one should be even better, if it would be produced.

07-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Can you comment a bit more on your experience with it? Is it because of size or weight that you don't want to carry it around?

I know it's on different cameras, but it's better than nothing and I couldn't find the Tamrons reviewed on Pentax cameras. You can select other cameras with more similar resolution from the dropdown boxes for the Nikon/Canon versions of the Tamron lenses. I don't think you'll see very strong changes in scoring. None of them is a stellar lens if you look at the overall scores and the fact they have no green areas in resolution and CA charts - they're mostly red with some yellow. Too bad they didn't review the DA* 300 yet to see how much better that is by comparison.

Here's a review from photozone, on Canon APS. Unfortunately, you can't find the budget Tamron to compare it. On Pentax, the budget Tamron was looking good, so the SP one should be even better, if it would be produced.
It's basically the size and weight, the DA*300 is kept in my nature/wildlife kit along with a DA*200, Tamron SP 90mm Di Macro, Tamrom-F AF1.4X Pz-AF MC4, Teleplus (Kenko) Pz-AF 1.5x SHQ, Pz-AF 1.7x SHQ, flash and other accessories.

To be fair I don't think we can expect a prosumer zoom to compete with a professional quality prime such as the DA*300, but to perform to acceptable levels in a 2 zoom lightweight kit.

The Photozone review of the SP USD is the one originally posted at the start of this thread, it seems very positive considering the modest cost of the lens. I have the Tamron 70-300 LD Di on the Pentax from time to time but the old screw drive AF is less than ideal and issues with purple fringing detract from an otherwise good lens.

Many thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

John
07-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #18

Original Poster
"The Tamron SP70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD is a very compact, comfortable and easy-to-use zoom lens. Its greatest asset is the razor-sharp image quality that makes full-frame photos look like medium-format images. The near-silent autofocus system makes the lens ideal for wildlife as well as street photography."

John
07-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #19

Original Poster
April 21, 2011
26th CAPA Lens Grand Prix won by Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD(Model A005)

The SP 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (Model A005) has won the following prize. That telephoto zoom lens for full-frame digital SLR cameras is produced by optical equipment manufacturer Tamron Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Saitama City, Japan / President and CEO: Morio Ono), which is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year.
Prizes Won

●26th CAPA Lens Grand Prix from the photo magazine CAPA
The same lens also won the European Zoom Lens 2010-2011, awarded by EISA last year, and the Gold Award in the 2011 Digital Camera Grand Prix from Ongen Publishing Co., Ltd.

This year marks the 26th time that the prize has been presented by CAPA, a hugely influential Japanese photo magazine highly endorsed by Japan’s photographers. The winner was decided after lenses nominated from new products were subjected to repeated testing and debate by all the committee members.

You have to take your hat off to its ultrasonic silent drive as well as its descriptive performance that is almost on a par with that of high-performance models.

The convenience of an angle of view equivalent to 450 mm with APS-C cameras also hits the spot.
The amazement of being able to purchase it for under 50,000 yen shatters initial perceptions that this is just another high cost performance lens.

Major prizes won by the SP 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (Model A005)

• ● European Zoom Lens 2010-2011, awarded by EISA
  • ● Gold Award in the 2011 Digital Camera Grand Prix
  • ● 26th CAPA Lens Grand Prix

John

Last edited by johnw; 07-17-2011 at 02:07 AM.
07-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #20

Original Poster
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (Model A005) wins Best Entry Level Lens at TIPA Awards 2011

This premium, state-of-the-art, telephoto zoom lens supports full-frame and APS-C format digital SLR cameras. It includes many features that make it stand out even amongst other products in the telephoto zoom class. Built to exacting Superior Performance (SP) standards, it features Tamron’s first application of an Ultrasonic Silent Drive (USD) for enhanced auto-focusing speed and responsiveness.

These awards are presented each year by the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) to top photo and imaging products. TIPA is made up of the chief editors and technical editors of 29 camera and imaging magazines from 13 countries including European countries, USA, Canada, China,South Africa, and Australia.

John
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #21

Original Poster
It never seems to get a bad review, maybe if Ricoh/Pentax reach 5% market share they'll bring it out in Pentax fit.

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/tamron%E2%80%99s-sp-af70-300mm-f4-56-di-vc-usd...

"In Conclusion
This lens blew me away. I found edge-to-edge sharpness very satisfying, especially for a lens easily under $500. And I loved this lens’s responsiveness when confronted with challenging subjects, like ducks and gulls whizzing past me. I quickly learned to appreciate the USD mechanism as I began paying attention to how beautifully and quietly the lens was working.

All in all, I made over 3000 exposures with the Tamron SP AF70-300mm VC. And the impression I came away with is that this lens is definitely a keeper. When you factor in performance, overall design, and price, it all amounts to a very engaging lens that begs to be used again and again".

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/blog/ian-plant/2011/01/tamron-sp70-300-di-vc-...

"My bottom line after using the lens for a few weeks is that this lens is a solid performer, and offers good value for its cost—it packs a lot of bang for the buck. Its flexibility will prove useful for travel and nature photographers alike".

Tamron SP 70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di VC USD review - Bob Atkins Photography

"In summary the Tamron SP 70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di VC USD is a very good lens, especially considering the cost. In the center of the frame image quality is very similar to that of the Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM at all focal lengths and apertures, however at 300mm the Tamron shows better image quality in the corners of the frame, especially when the lenses are used wide open with a full frame DSLR.

At 135mm and 70mm there is little to chose between the Tamron and Canon lenses, Both are sharp in the center and still good out to the corners of the APS-C frame. At 135mm the Tamron lens shows slightly better image quality in the corners of the full frame image.

it comes with a lens hood, it has full time manual focus and a distance scale and it comes with a 6-year warranty. So at this point I think I'll have to agree with Tamron's claim that the Tamron SP 70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di VC USD is the best lens in its class and very good value".

John