Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I mentioned in another thread that Ricoh didn't buy Pentax in order to shut them down, but to make money by exploiting Rentax's reputation. The statement on Ricoh's site specifically identified this goal: expand the lens line. IMHO the easiest way to make money there is with reincarnated / legacy lenses, requiring production setup but no R&D. Then Ricoh just has to market them, eh? With adequate marketing, I think we'll see the blossoming of Pentax.
Wasn't leaded glass the reason for the stop in production for some of those lenses? Not sure if this is really the case, but I do remember some discussion indicating that it was leaded glass combined with low demand (at the time). I would think that there would be some R&D cost to find optical equivalents, not as much as developing an all new lens, but some cost. I am not sure how much it would be, but Ricoh seems to have much deeper pockets than Hoya.

EDIT: That said, I would love to see the return of the 600 f4 or an FA or DFA version of the 400 f2.8. It would be great for surf photography. Hopefully Ricoh realizes that one of the things they need to address is a better upgrade path via higher spec "pro" type bodies, more reliable flash options, and a more complete lens line.

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 07-02-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Did not want to DP.
07-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I mentioned in another thread that Ricoh didn't buy Pentax in order to shut them down, but to make money by exploiting Rentax's reputation. The statement on Ricoh's site specifically identified this goal: expand the lens line. IMHO the easiest way to make money there is with reincarnated / legacy lenses, requiring production setup but no R&D. Then Ricoh just has to market them, eh? With adequate marketing, I think we'll see the blossoming of Pentax.
Yes, yes! Let's see it happen!!!
07-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #48
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
After news about Ricoh...I've got an answer for my question.

No new lenses - because Hoya had no deep interest in Pentax Imaging.
07-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #49
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Or the two for the 645D.
Yes. But it's another history and another optical designers.

07-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #50
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
OGL again like to complaint.
Earthquake could be a reason ??
I'm right again...I'm pity.
07-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #51
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
After news about Ricoh...I've got an answer for my question.

No new lenses - because Hoya had no deep interest in Pentax Imaging.
Well Hoya just put in limited sources, and bringing out 645D and upgrading camera-line was a good thing.

Ricoh should just put some improvements into K-5(super, new electronics and AF-module with trecking AF) and concentrate on lenses the coming year.
07-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #52
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well Hoya just put in limited sources, and bringing out 645D and upgrading camera-line was a good thing.

Ricoh should just put some improvements into K-5(super, new electronics and AF-module with trecking AF) and concentrate on lenses the coming year.
I hope...I hope...

07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree. A upgraded K-5 or K-3 and more lenses. Build upon the success of the K-5 and K-r (including the colors)