Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #1

what will I see with the 18-55mm "kit" lens?

Having the K100 D Super and only a Sigma 70-33mm lens, I can't take group photos or of anything close to me. I am getting the "kit" lens, the 18-55mm off of ebay. What can I expect to see when I look through it? Will I see everything that is in my range of view, like with a point and shoot? My daughter has a parade today and I am taking my Kodak----when they get closer to us, my zoom lens will not encompass all the dancers, only what the lens sees. The kodak will do well in the daylight, so it won't be too much of a problem, but it's a shame I was so mislead by Dell and had to go out and by my own kit lens. I wish I had the lens today--I wanted to see the comparison between what this camera can do using my photos taken of my daughters dance team from the parade last year. I couldn't even get a full-lenght shot of my daughter in her costume unless she stood way far away from me!---Thanks!

11-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by momof4 Quote
Having the K100 D Super and only a Sigma 70-33mm lens...
Never heard of that one. Could you possibly mean 70-300mm? If that is the case then it would be obvious that an 18-55mm lens will afford a much wider angle. It is a good all-purpose lens and will give a view not unlike a P&S camera.
11-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some samples

QuoteOriginally posted by momof4 Quote
Having the K100 D Super and only a Sigma 70-33mm lens, I can't take group photos or of anything close to me. I am getting the "kit" lens, the 18-55mm off of ebay. What can I expect to see when I look through it? Will I see everything that is in my range of view, like with a point and shoot? My daughter has a parade today and I am taking my Kodak----when they get closer to us, my zoom lens will not encompass all the dancers, only what the lens sees. The kodak will do well in the daylight, so it won't be too much of a problem, but it's a shame I was so mislead by Dell and had to go out and by my own kit lens. I wish I had the lens today--I wanted to see the comparison between what this camera can do using my photos taken of my daughters dance team from the parade last year. I couldn't even get a full-lenght shot of my daughter in her costume unless she stood way far away from me!---Thanks!
Hi Momo!
Here are a couple of samples that I found quickly (I'm at work and can't spend a lot of time on this) of the 18-55 at it's wider end. I'm sure that others will give you some better ones.

First one at 18mm. Camera tripod was set up about 1 foot behind the railing you see in the lower left. The creek is about 60-70 feet wide at the dam. Plus I cropped the shot somewhat.

This one is at 21mm, I was standing about 2 to 3 feet behind the day lilies you see in the foreground.

NaCl(I'll post some better ones this afternoon)H2O
11-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To figure out what the lens will see without being able to stick it on your camera and look, you need to think in terms of angle of view. Each focal length gives you a specific "cone" of view in front of the camera. Wide lenses like the 18mm end of the kit zoom give you a very wide cone. Telephotos like the 300mm end of your Sigma give a very skinny cone.

Since the light that gets recorded is determined by the rectangular sensor in your camera, the "cone" of view is actually kind of boxy, and wider than it is tall (when you're holding your camera in landscape position instead of portrait orientation). To compare fields of view for you, I'm just going to concentrate on the wide ends of the two lenses you ask about (18mm for the Pentax, 70mm for the Sigma). That's because you seem primarily interested in seeing how much scene you can capture with each.

The 70mm you have gives a 18.5 horizontal angle of view, and a 12.8 vertical angle of view when mounted on your camera. In comparison, the 18mm you're thinking about gives a 66 horizonatal view, and a 47 vertical view.

Angle can be a hard thing to get an intuitive appreciation for, so let's translate those view into how much scene they can capture at a given distance. I'll pick 10 ft, because that represents a common standoff distance for inside photos.

For a subject 10 feet away, your 70mm Sigma will capture a rectangle 3.25 ft wide and 2.25 ft tall. That's fairly small. Basically, you might get a head and shoulders shot of a single person from 10 ft, with a little extra width to incorporate the background (remember, we're staying with landscape orientation here to keep it easy to visualize).

For that same subject 10 ft away, the 18mm setting on the Pentax will capture a rectangle 13 ft wide and 8.7 ft tall. That's enough to get a decent size large group (5 or 6 people shoulder to shoulder) and get them head to toe with plenty of vertical room to spare. If you didn't want that much background, you could always zoom in. But you get my point.

In short, the wide end of the kit lens gives you a MUCH greater field of view than what you have. It's hard to imagine never getting wider than 70mm, especially on a DSLR. You're going to quickly realize you need a wider lens, and in fact you're already beginning to. With the kit lens being as inexpensive and high quality as it is, there should be little holding you back.

Last edited by aerodave; 11-21-2007 at 10:40 PM.
11-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

sorry about the awful color of the pics but the first one was taken at 18mm and the second is zommed in to 43mm

this is an outside shot at 18mm

taken at 35mm
11-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I posted this thread about a month ago.

I don't think that I've used the kit lens since then, but it's still one of the first lenses packed in my kit.

It's something like the American Express Card (I hate credit cards)
Don't Leave Home Without It?
11-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Goken is that inside the Grand Floridian? Last time I was there was my honeymoon 10 years ago. MOMO you should have checked the market place here first. I have two 18-55 for sale. You will like it at considering what you have for a zoom. I think you have to watch the wide end for vignetting but asside from the that it is a good lens.
11-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Goken is that inside the Grand Floridian? Last time I was there was my honeymoon 10 years ago. MOMO you should have checked the market place here first. I have two 18-55 for sale. You will like it at considering what you have for a zoom. I think you have to watch the wide end for vignetting but asside from the that it is a good lens.
yes they were taken from the second floor where you come in from the monorail. still not happy with the color should have take more shots with some diffrent settings till I got one that was decent

11-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's one of those lenses that you should just have handy really.

It's not the best lens for it's range ... but it's practical ... and can produce some really nice images in the right hands as well. And for it's price ... if you don't have a wide-angle zoom yet ... there's no harm in getting the kit lens anyway.

Here's a couple of my shots with it.

Just a few that I can find at the moment.
11-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

the 18-55mm is great deal! The next step up are lenses in the $300 and up range. It's also the cheapest way to get moderate wide-angle (~18-24mm). Take the time to learn the lens and what you can do with certain focal lengths between 18mm and 55mm. Then you'll know what lens(es) you'll need next (and you WILL want to buy more lenses!), either wider, longer and/or faster than the kit lens.
I don't have the kit lens, I change between my Sigma 10-20mm (Ultra-wide angle), my Tamron 28-75mm (normal-short telephoto) and my Pentax DA* 50-135mm to get a nice range of focal lengths.
11-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

i have had good results with the 18-55 as well. i got it with the k100d.

at 18mm

and at 55

i have started shopping for some primes, i now have an smc-m 50 f2. but for the money and convenience, i will still carry the zoom
11-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
To figure out what the lens will see without being able to stick it on your camera and look, you need to think in terms of angle of view. Each focal length gives you a specific "cone" of view in front of the camera. Wide lenses like the 18mm end of the kit zoom give you a very wide cone. Telephotos like the 300mm end of your Sigma give a very skinny cone.

Since the light that gets recorded is determined by the rectangular sensor in your camera, the "cone" of view is actually kind of boxy, and wider than it is tall (when you're holding your camera in landscape position instead of portrait orientation). To compare fields of view for you, I'm just going to concentrate on the wide ends of the two lenses you ask about (18mm for the Pentax, 70mm for the Sigma). That's because you seem primarily interested in seeing how much scene you can capture with each.

The 70mm you have gives a 18.5 horizontal angle of view, and a 12.8 vertical angle of view when mounted on your camera. In comparison, the 18mm you're thinking about gives a 66 horizonatal view, and a 47 vertical view.

Angle can be a hard thing to get an intuitive appreciation for, so let's translate those view into how much scene they can capture at a given distance. I'll pick 20 ft, because that represents a common standoff distance for inside photos.

For a subject 10 feet away, your 70mm Sigma will capture a rectangle 3.25 ft wide and 2.25 ft tall. That's fairly small. Basically, you might get a head and shoulders shot of a single person from 10 ft, with a little extra width to incorporate the background (remember, we're staying with landscape orientation here to keep it easy to visualize).

For that same subject 10 ft away, the 18mm setting on the Pentax will capture a rectangle 13 ft wide and 8.7 ft tall. That's enough to get a decent size large group (5 or 6 people shoulder to shoulder) and get them head to toe with plenty of vertical room to spare. If you didn't want that much background, you could always zoom in. But you get my point.

In short, the wide end of the kit lens gives you a MUCH greater field of view than what you have. It's hard to imagine never getting wider than 70mm, especially on a DSLR. You're going to quickly realize you need a wider lens, and in fact you're already beginning to. With the kit lens being as inexpensive and high quality as it is, there should be little holding you back.
That's a terrific explanation. Well done.
11-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a handy visual comparison thing thanks to Tamron...

Focal length comparison tool, Tamron USA
11-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For APS-C a handy number to remember is 25mm.
That is: at 25mm focal length the width captured is roughly the same as your distance to the subject.

It's proportional for other focal lengths, for example:
12mm lens: width = 2 times distance
50mm lens: width = 1/2 times distance
77mm lens: width = 1/3 times distance, etc ...

Last edited by Kguru; 11-22-2007 at 06:16 AM.