Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filter for the 10-17mm Fisheye?

I am trying to place an IR filter on my fisheye.
Seen that a 58mm can be used.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/54026-da-10-17...-possible.html
But could something else be used? A larger diameter filter or two or three (with no glass) and then drill holes for screws to then attach to the exterior of the lens. Then use step up rings. Three screws could work around the FE hood. Don't matter about scrarring on the outside since I am not parting with this lens.
Anybody know of such things? On Ebay perhaps...
Any ideas welcome.
I figure there might be some vignetting at the wide end but not sure. Still it would be good enough for my IR interests.

06-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if you're aware, but if you're shooting on a DSLR, unless you've modified your sensor, it's not going to be very IR sensitive. If you're shooting with an IR modified sensor or a film camera, I'd think your best bet would be to try to use the Cokin filter system and see if there's some way you could make use of their Digi Holder (designed for P&S digital cameras that don't have filter threads, it screws into the tripod mount and extends underneath and in front of the P&S lens, though I'm not sure if it has enough reach unmodified to clear the 10-17mm on an SLR/DSLR body). I'd think you'd have better luck trying to put something together based around the Cokin filter system than you would hacking up your lens.
06-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good points nater,
Yeah I have found the K200D sensor to be IR unfriendly, but the *ist D series is much better with filters for IR. The sensors are more forgiving. I am using a *ist D and *ist DL and they produce nice IR images with shorter exposures (still need a tripod though). And I have read that the K100D, K110D and K100D Super also are good for IR photography.

Anyways, I am asking because I am getting a K-x full spectrum modified body. With the Liveview capability this body would act like a P&S but with better optics. So I am thinking about using a number of filters from 580nm to 800nm and want to capture with an FE or any wide angle. Put a filter on a Zenitar 16mm (thanks to info sourced here on PF). Got a Sigma 10-20mm for which I am awaiting 77mm filters (B+W 092 and 099). Just wondering if I can attach them to the 10-17mm FE with step up rings.
If I can't use attached filters, the digi holder may by the way to go with Cokin Z series filters. Thanks.

Last edited by Jools; 06-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.
06-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I think you would be better to look at the sigma fisheyes with the rear filter insert. that way you dont have the Vignetting don't worry about damaging your lens. I think Pentax should have thought about that in the design as fish-eyes are quite popular for use in out door settings where polarizing, ND, IR filters may be required.