Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
IQ-wise: K-5's sensor gets the same score as the Nikon D3s.
Well there is more to it then just this last figure. If you are standing in a sportsarena and have to use iso3200-6400 then the D3s wins from the K-5 easily.

06-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One interesting thing about the Nikon catalog is that it includes 8 manual focus lenses including a 35/1.4. They are all available at BH. I suspect at least some of them will be phased out in the near future to only 1 mf lens ( 50/1.2) and 3 perspective control lenses.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/Manual/index.page
06-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
The 1/2 stop difference is comparing the K-X to the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Comparing the K-X to the t1i : the K-X has 1 full stop better dynamic range, higher image quality, lower noise at high ISO and can distinguish twice the number of colors:

Canon T1i vs Pentax K-x
2x the colors (22.8 bit vs 21.7 bit) is almost meaningless at this point, as they are mostly processed out. To quote Dxomark: "A color depth of 22bits is excellent, differences below 1 bit are barely noticeable." So the K-x's advantage is about as important as the T1i's 3MP resolution advantage.

Another quote, from the Snapsort.com site you linked: "(Pentax K-x)...more than 10% better image quality. (compared with Canon T1i)" So according to their metrics, the K-x's IQ is indeed superior to the Canon T1i's, but to say it "can't even begin to compare" to the K-x is a gross exaggeration.

Interestingly, the Snapsort.com comparison you linked also selects the Canon T1i as the superior camera.

IMHO, the Pentax K-x is a better camera for me because of the slightly better IQ, but moreso because of the in-body SR and better build quality. But I wouldn't think of a Canon T1i user as using an inferior camera.
06-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Sorry for this, I'm not attempting to start an argument or anything....but Kx better than Canon7d? It doesn't sound so reliably, Pentax entry level (arguably great camera) outdoing Canon APS-C flagship - if that was true, you'll be seeing more pentaxes hanging from necks than canons while walking on streets. I think K-5 is a Pentax's response to Canon 7D.
Well, the K-x's sensor is slightly better than the 7d's, according to DXO's measurements, and most of that is due to the Pentax's superior DR at ISO3200 and higher. The tests doesn't take into account any sort of speed, AF or usability.

And, of course, the 7d is 18mp, whereas the K-x is 12mp.

06-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
IMHO, the Pentax K-x is a better camera for me because of the slightly better IQ, but moreso because of the in-body SR and better build quality. But I wouldn't think of a Canon T1i user as using an inferior camera.
Thank you - somewhat of an aside, but, I'd just like to thank you for making these distinctions. On far too many forums on the internet discussions devolve because people don't clarify their value statements... I am often heartened that here on this forum people take the time to explain what their opinions mean and with respect to what, and I think discussions are better for it. And I wanted to mention that I appreciate it.
06-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well there is more to it then just this last figure. If you are standing in a sportsarena and have to use iso3200-6400 then the D3s wins from the K-5 easily.
Oh, no doubt.

Note that I said I think the K-x has "maybe" a small lead on the 7D in sensor performance and contrast that to the vast advantage it has in the DXO rankings. I've used both cameras, and the real world difference is not what DXO makes it out to be. Similarly, I have zero doubt that the D3s can wipe the floor with the K-5 (as even my D700 can).
06-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Sorry for this, I'm not attempting to start an argument or anything....but Kx better than Canon7d? It doesn't sound so reliably, Pentax entry level (arguably great camera) outdoing Canon APS-C flagship - if that was true, you'll be seeing more pentaxes hanging from necks than canons while walking on streets. I think K-5 is a Pentax's response to Canon 7D.
personally, I will agree to geekette's statement as well if the comparison is in terms of IQ sensor performance at equal resolution size is concerned. the 7D has an additional MP advantage over the k-x so that could influence IQ on a bigger image picture. I would say that the 7D has an impressive IQ for what it's worth but it is not a runaway winner but most likely equal to other manufacturer's sensor to some degree. the 7D's biggest strength is not on it's IQ primarily but on it's fast AF system. having said that, would I consider a 7D? NO, I would rather have a D700.

06-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
IQ-wise, I think the K-x sensor at least equals the 7D's. I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeds it by some small degree.

AS far as benchmarks go, DXOMark's sensor rankings have the K-x at #25 while the 7D is at #47.

edit: K-5's sensor gets the same score as the Nikon D3s.
Actually the K-X image quality is in fact better than the Canon 7D in every respect: better image quality, .8 f stops better dynamic range, better color depth.

Canon 7D vs Pentax K-x

The Canon 7D of course has better video, better build and compatibility with an insane number of lenses. However, Canon is going to have to improve their sensor if they want a prosumer like me to switch from Pentax to their prosumer body. Canon is very tempting but image quality, price, and build quality is keeping me from switching... I am not particulary fond of the builds of the t1i,t2i and t3i.. to me K-X feels more substantial in my hands.

BTW the only things that bug me about the Pentax cameras is the lack of tethering and some flash sync issues. And perhaps that many 3rd party companies that develop flashes and lenses don't want to support Pentax--I really don't get this since the Pentax cameras are so nice and more popular than olympus and sony? I might get around the tethering issue with the new Eye-Fi SD card I ordered the other day; I can't wait to try it out--perhaps it will put the pictures right in Aperture and/or Lightroom (I'll let ya know).

Last edited by geekette; 06-30-2011 at 05:56 PM.
06-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Actually the K-X image quality is in fact better than the Canon 7D in every respect: better image quality, .8 f stops better dynamic range, better color depth.

Canon 7D vs Pentax K-x
In stats, yes. In the real world, not so much.

Cool site, though.
06-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW the only things that bug me about the Pentax cameras is the lack of tethering and some flash sync issues. And perhaps that many 3rd party companies that develop flashes and lenses don't want to support Pentax--I really don't get this since the Pentax cameras are so nice and more popular than olympus and sony?
Sony sells nearly 4x as many interchangeable-lens cameras as Pentax, and Olympus sells near 2x as many. Canon Nikon have 3/4 of the market. I guess it just doesn't pay to support Pentax much.
06-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Thank you - somewhat of an aside, but, I'd just like to thank you for making these distinctions. On far too many forums on the internet discussions devolve because people don't clarify their value statements... I am often heartened that here on this forum people take the time to explain what their opinions mean and with respect to what, and I think discussions are better for it. And I wanted to mention that I appreciate it.
aww, shucks

I've been a long-time lurker here, and I wholeheartedly agree that PF is one of the more pleasant stops on the information superhighway.
06-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #57
Veteran Member

LOL...here we go again..yet another Nikon bashing thread from the Pentaxians .

it must be the small man syndrome kicking in....

Lenses..the Nikon VrII 70-200F2.8 new ...$2500..most anywhere..pentax used 80-200..$ 1500-+ depending on condition....Nikon VR1 70-200 F2.8 used $1500+ depending on condition..I recently saw a used VRII go for $2000...very good condition.

if Pentax still had a full metal construction lens in that focal range..what do you think it would be worth ?Im talking a true pro lens that at F2.8 is as good as at F5.6....if there was one..it would be of equal cost to the Vr II..dont kid yourselves that it wouldn't!

Nikon has a ton of cheaper lenses that are available...it also has around 5 DSLRS that will support old lenses..and three that that dont... pentax has Two current DSLRS....LOL...

in Perth Australia..in every flee market /hockshop I go to , canikon gear out weighs the Pentax stuff..in fact its hard to find used Pentax gear here......jump on gumtree/ebay..loads of nikon gear..

I wont go into DR and sensor wowness.....but I do know that Nikon are about to release new bodies ontop on the D7000 that Im sure will outshine its capability's ...duno when a K3 is due ?

jump on B&H and compare the pentax 50mm lens prices with the nikon..the new Nikon AFS 50MM 1.8 is cheaper and from the examples Ive seen very good.

Last edited by Tommot1965; 06-30-2011 at 07:04 PM.
06-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
LOL...here we go again..yet another Nikon bashing thread from the Pentaxians .

. . .
lol, here we go, someone painting everyone with a broad brush again . . .
06-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
lol, here we go, someone painting everyone with a broad brush again . . .

sorry...didnt mean all pentaxians .....perhaps I should have said some .....but you get my meaning ?

Last edited by Tommot1965; 06-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.
06-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Why do Nikonians brag about lens availability?
cause we can