Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I can't and won't answer for why anyone says anything. I only know that instead of worrying about what is Available, I have enough to do learning to use what I Have.

For what it's worth, since you mentioned it, you Can tether your Kx.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

(in case it hasn't already been mentioned)

PK Tether is a windows only app; I run on mac. It is written by one guy and maintained by one person. (Does it work perfectly?) Also, Aperture, Lightroom etc have a tethering API.. I'd like to be able to take a pic and have it show up right there in Aperture--thank goodness for Eye-Fi; I can't wait to try it out.

07-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah The NEX rocks, but it isn't a SLR--it's mirrorless. The APS-C sensor on the NEX is superb.. around the same image quality of the K-X, which saying A LOT.
07-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Yeah The NEX rocks, but it isn't a SLR--mirrorless.
It's an ILC, which is what the quoted stats were referring to.

afaik the Sony dSLRs don't sell terribly well, though the SLTs are apparently quite good.

The A900 has some ardent followers but like any FF dSLR the userbase is pretty small.
07-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just don't know how sony is ahead.. i mean I've looked at the stats on those cameras.. much lower image quality than pentax and SUPER expensive..

What dslr lenses mount to Sony DSLRs anyways? Minolta to Olympus.. What does sony take? Proprietary lenses? if so, there can't be many at all.
Sony is a giant of the electronics industry with much greater name recognition than Pentax. Also, I can walk into a Best Buy and purchase a Sony SLR (even if the selection is 1); can't say the same about Pentax.

Besides Sony-branded lenses, they take (Konica) Minolta lenses, and of course the 3rd-party lenses.

I'm honestly puzzled by your usage of verbiage such as "much lower image quality"... what are you basing this on? If it's Dxomark, I don't think the numbers you are looking at are anywhere near as divisive as you are indicating. There is so much more to a camera body than the measurebating of the sensor.

Last edited by luftfluss; 07-01-2011 at 08:09 AM.
07-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It's an ILC, which is what the quoted stats were referring to.

afaik the Sony dSLRs don't sell terribly well, though the SLTs are apparently quite good.

The A900 has some ardent followers but like any FF dSLR the userbase is pretty small.
I did a quick search and found this data for 2008 DSLR marketshare in Japan:

Canon 40.4%
Nikon 39%
Sony 8.5%
Olympus 3.8%
Pentax 1.6%
07-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #81
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Sony is a giant of the electronics industry with much greater name recognition than Pentax. Also, I can walk into a Best Buy and purchase a Sony SLR (even if the selection is 1); can't say the same about Pentax.

Besides Sony-branded lenses, they take (Konica) Minolta lenses, and of course the 3rd-party lenses.

I'm honestly puzzled by your usage of verbiage such as "much lower image quality"... what are you basing this on? If it's Dxomark, I don't think the numbers you are looking at are anywhere near as divisive as you are indicating. There is so much more to a camera body than the measurebating of the sensor.
Don't forget that at present, the only autofocus glass in existence is for the Minolta err ... Sony mount.
07-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #82
Inactive Account

PK Tether is a windows only app; I run on mac. It is written by one guy and maintained by one person. (Does it work perfectly?) Also, Aperture, Lightroom etc have a tethering API.. I'd like to be able to take a pic and have it show up right there in Aperture--thank goodness for Eye-Fi; I can't wait to try it out.
As long as you follow the instructions it does. Even with the Pentax Remote Assistant, I don't remember it being able to import directly into the processing software (could be wrong about that however). As to your computer, well, ummmmm, can't help you there. I was only pointing out that the option to Tether the Kx Does exist. Let us know how the Eye-Fi works.

07-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #83
Veteran Member

I did a quick search and found this data for 2008 DSLR marketshare in Japan:
That was then, this is now, etc. Then: Pentax's top-gun was the K20D (which I bought a couple weeks before Hoya devoured Pentax). Now: Pentax has hits with Kx and Kr, decent sales with K7 and K5 and the paradigm-shifting 645D. I'd like to see the 2010 ratings.

Also, the world isn't Japan, and vice versa. Canikonympus may actually have a larger worldwide market share. Until Ricoh pumps up the marketing machine, that is. Ricoh competes very well against Canon in copiers. Maybe Ricoh will actually advertise. Maybe Ricoh will push the release of a comprehensive lens set. Maybe Ricoh will decide to build a professional support network ala Canon and Nikon. Maybe Ricoh will kick Nikon's butt. It could happen. A better chance of that than of pigs flying, you-betcha.
07-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That was then, this is now, etc. Then: Pentax's top-gun was the K20D (which I bought a couple weeks before Hoya devoured Pentax). Now: Pentax has hits with Kx and Kr, decent sales with K7 and K5 and the paradigm-shifting 645D. I'd like to see the 2010 ratings.

Also, the world isn't Japan, and vice versa. Canikonympus may actually have a larger worldwide market share. Until Ricoh pumps up the marketing machine, that is. Ricoh competes very well against Canon in copiers. Maybe Ricoh will actually advertise. Maybe Ricoh will push the release of a comprehensive lens set. Maybe Ricoh will decide to build a professional support network ala Canon and Nikon. Maybe Ricoh will kick Nikon's butt. It could happen. A better chance of that than of pigs flying, you-betcha.
I never claimed Japan=world. The point of that particular post was merely to point out that Sony has a little more oomph in the DSLR market than some folks may think. Sony's world-wide marketshare could be better-worse-same as japan, given that Sony is a much lower-regarded brand in Japan than in the USA.

SO, uh, gonna change your name to RioRicoh?
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #85
Site Supporter

I never claimed Japan=world. The point of that particular post was merely to point out that Sony has a little more oomph in the DSLR market than some folks may think. Sony's world-wide marketshare could be better-worse-same as japan, given that Sony is a much lower-regarded brand in Japan than in the USA.

But that was 2008 data. Pentax had climbed to nearly 6% global sales in dSLR in 2009 and higher to 7.8% in 2010.

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2010/07/nikon-grabs-the-1-spot-in-dslrsilcs-in-japan-h12010-revisited-real-story-canon-falls-off-a-cliff.html
07-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
But that was 2008 data. Pentax had climbed to nearly 6% global sales in dSLR in 2009.
Oh, GOOD!!!

I mean, I know that is still very small, but that looks more encouraging.

Edit: Quickly scanning your link, for the 1st half of 2010, Pentax had 7.8% of the Japanese market.
07-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #87
Site Supporter

Oh, GOOD!!!

I mean, I know that is still very small, but that looks more encouraging.
If you go back and look at that link, you will see that Canon wasn't #1 in dSLR sales in 2010.
07-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #88
Veteran Member

That's better than RioRictax. Or RioPencoh. Or RioZony. Or RioKoda. I'll think about it.

There, I thought about it.
07-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I retract what I said about the image quality of sony dslr About the same as K-X.. dont' know what I was thinking.. maybe I was comparing the wrong expensive model of Sony to K-X.. I honestly don't know much about Sony DSLR. I don't know a single person that owns one yet I know several that own Pentax locally.. weird.