Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
cause we can
That's nice. Have fun. Pay in full.

Oh yeah, I chop Nikon lenses to fit Pentax. Those worth bothering with, anyway.

Why? 'Cause I can.

06-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Why? 'Cause I can.
One of those manual focus 35/1.4 would be interesting . . .
06-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikkors

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Why? 'Cause I can.
Some Nikkor lenses seems to fit even without any modification. My old film great AF Micro Nikkor 105/2.8 was easily mounted to PentaxK20d and to my surprise even the focus indication worked well, so the photos were spot on. But I haven't tried it on infinity and later sold it because it's a huge lens and in Pentax land i quickly started to be used to nice small glass.
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sony & olympus interchangable lens cameras? are you including micro 4/3rds sales?

06-30-2011, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Some Nikkor lenses seems to fit even without any modification. My old film great AF Micro Nikkor 105/2.8 was easily mounted to PentaxK20d and to my surprise even the focus indication worked well, so the photos were spot on. But I haven't tried it on infinity and later sold it because it's a huge lens and in Pentax land i quickly started to be used to nice small glass.
I was listening to a Nikonians podcast a while back and they were talking how nice it was to be using a small prime like the 105 micro for a change rather than their big zooms. Then while camera window shopping I saw the size of that 105mm Nikon and did a double take.... it's huge!!
06-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
cause we can
Good luck focusing to infinity with m42 glass on Nikon though.

I have a question.. how many make/models of m42 lenses were made? You have to take these numbers into account when comparing lens availability (This is really what prompted me to start this thread.. cause I like m42 glass.. inexpensive, high quality, retrotastic! and wow.. they are all "VR" lenses on a pentax and you can meter them--m42 lenses on crack? lol )

Last edited by geekette; 06-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.
07-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikkor AF 105

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I was listening to a Nikonians podcast a while back and they were talking how nice it was to be using a small prime like the 105 micro for a change rather than their big zooms. Then while camera window shopping I saw the size of that 105mm Nikon and did a double take.... it's huge!!
Hi Twitch,
maybe that was podcast from some Nikonian pranksters
105 a small prime - but I'm sure it was nice using it - very good lens

07-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #68
Veteran Member

There is small 100's, and then there is SMALL 100's. I have a Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8, an Argus-Schneider Cintagon 100/3.5, a shorter SuperTak 105/2.8, all around 250-280g, not small, not huge (well, the Cintagon is a bit oversized). I have an Isco Westar 100/4.5 that's only 170g but it extends somewhat. All tidy and light. I also have a not-so-small Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2.5 (410g) I want to adapt to PK. What a beast! Maybe it's Nikon-size.

And then there is SMALL. I use my Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5, just 110g, and only half the size of a SuperTak 55/2. I had to cut a hole in a PK body cap and blue the Enna in, but it's great and reaches infinity focus. It could possibly be fitted into a NI body cap -- then Nikonians would have a small 100!

Oh yeah, only the Argus lenses could possibly be adapted to NI mount without major surgery. In the lens-transfusion world, Nikon is the universal donor, and Canon and Sony are the universal recipients. No M42s nor M39s for Nikon, no other 35mm mounts at all, just expensive Nikon (and 3rd-party) glass. What rotten luck.
07-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
sony & olympus interchangable lens cameras? are you including micro 4/3rds sales?
Yeah, because the most recent data I could was for fiscal year 2010 and included "interchangeable lens cameras". I recall that a couple years ago Sony & Olympus were ahead of Pentax strictly in DSLR sales, but that was probably 2008. I'm sure Sony is still way ahead of Pentax for DSLR, but don't know about Olympus.
07-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #70
Veteran Member

The 100/2.8 Series E is pretty small, but then again it's not really a Nikkor lens.
07-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #71
Veteran Member

tbh my only regret about my Nikon system is not being able to use the Helios-44 on it with infinity focus.
07-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #72
Inactive Account

I notice often they talk down the Pentax when I comes to lens availability. They brag there are more lenses available.

Tell me, aren't there hundreds of different makes/models of m42 lenses? Can the Nikon focus to infinity with these said lenses?--No. (Not without sacrificing optical quality.)

Are the Nikon APS-C cameras as backwards compatible with their lenses as Pentax? No.

Also, I seem to see a lot more pentax lenses at flea markets, shopgoodwill.com. Nikon lenses are fewer and more expensive.

Also the built in autofocus motor and image stabilization of the Pentax is very appealing. Not to mention that it can meter old glass (APS-C Nikons can't at all).

I just don't see how Nikon has Pentax beat with respect to lenses.

Side note: I can say that Canon has em all beat with respect to lens availability since so many good glassless adapters exist for various brands of lenses, but you have to spend a fortune to get a camera that has image quality on par with a Pentax K-X.

I am not going to lie, I've been very tempted by the new Nikon D5100--since its image quality is insanely good, can sync the flash better, more availability of accessories & 3rd party x-ttl flashes for cheap, and tethering--but I just can't give up the lens AVAILABILITY I have with the PENTAX. (It's a KEY reason I am sticking with Pentax.)

I just wish the consumers and prosumers would see the light and go for Pentax like they did back in the 70's & 80's.

Sorry, just had to let it out! Lol.
I can't and won't answer for why anyone says anything. I only know that instead of worrying about what is Available, I have enough to do learning to use what I Have.

For what it's worth, since you mentioned it, you Can tether your Kx.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

(in case it hasn't already been mentioned)

07-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yeah, because the most recent data I could was for fiscal year 2010 and included "interchangeable lens cameras". I recall that a couple years ago Sony & Olympus were ahead of Pentax strictly in DSLR sales, but that was probably 2008. I'm sure Sony is still way ahead of Pentax for DSLR, but don't know about Olympus.
I just don't know how sony is ahead.. i mean I've looked at the stats on those cameras.. much lower image quality than pentax and SUPER expensive..

What dslr lenses mount to Sony DSLRs anyways? Minolta to Olympus.. What does sony take? Proprietary lenses? if so, there can't be many at all.
07-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
tbh my only regret about my Nikon system is not being able to use the Helios-44 on it with infinity focus.
Giggle, I just got my Helios 44-2 in the mail the other day and this is what really prompted me to post this thread, lol! How ironic.
07-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I just don't know how sony is ahead.. i mean I've looked at the stats on those cameras.. much lower image quality than pentax and SUPER expensive..

What dslr lenses mount to Sony DSLRs anyways? Minolta to Olympus.. What does sony take? Proprietary lenses? if so, there can't be many at all.
NEX cameras can mount just about anything (a la m4/3). A-mount cameras take Minolta and Sony/Zeiss lenses, with some third-party support.

NEX cameras have been selling pretty damn well for the past year. They're also quite cheap.