Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron 90mm macro...

Hi, I'm pretty new to DSLR photography and I want to buy a macro lens.

I discovered the Tamron 90mm Di Macro, it appears to be an excellent lens.

If I had a decent budget I would just buy it off Adorama right now, but of course my fundings are fairly low so I've been looking at other alternatives.

I've also found the Tamron 90mm Macro which appears to just be an older version. Its also half the price of the "Di" version. One thing though, I think it has an adaptall mount, which I'm not sure what that is really.

So my question is this: Which one would be a better choice, the "Di" version which is more expensive and newer, or the "non-di" version which is older but less expensive. If the adaptall mount is no problem, would the older version of the lens be just as good a choice as the new one? What are the differences besides the mount?

Thanks for your help!

~Ben

(I'm using a Pentax K-r if that affects anything.)

06-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben E Quote
Hi, I'm pretty new to DSLR photography and I want to buy a macro lens.

I discovered the Tamron 90mm Di Macro, it appears to be an excellent lens.

If I had a decent budget I would just buy it off Adorama right now, but of course my fundings are fairly low so I've been looking at other alternatives.

I've also found the Tamron 90mm Macro which appears to just be an older version. Its also half the price of the "Di" version. One thing though, I think it has an adaptall mount, which I'm not sure what that is really.

So my question is this: Which one would be a better choice, the "Di" version which is more expensive and newer, or the "non-di" version which is older but less expensive. If the adaptall mount is no problem, would the older version of the lens be just as good a choice as the new one? What are the differences besides the mount?

Thanks for your help!

~Ben

(I'm using a Pentax K-r if that affects anything.)
If you're just going to use it for macro then MF is perfectly fine, but if you want to use the lens as a fast telephoto such as for portraits, then you might want to get the AF version. Pentax's DFA100WR has rounded aperture blades to give better bokeh, especially for portraiture
06-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

BTW, I have the Tamron 90 Di version, although it rarely saw use after I got my fast telephoto zooms (DA* 50-135 and then Tamron 70-200)
06-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I recommend going for the Di version. You should be able to find a used one at a good price. Adaptall mounts can be a pain.

06-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Pentax's DFA100WR has rounded aperture blades to give better bokeh, especially for portraiture
I'm not sure that's right... rounded aperture blades would only come into play when stopping down a lens, when they would make the out-of-focus highlights take on slightly rounder shape, but I would think that if you're doing portraiture with a 90mm lens, you'd want subject isolation, so you'd use the lens fully open, i.e. when the aperture blades aren't even in play and the aperture would be a perfect circle regardless of blade shape. I think the rounded aperture blades would come into play more when stopping down the lens in macro situations, when there might be significant foreground/background highlights in the bokeh that could reveal the aperture shape in in a more noticeable way.
06-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use my Tamron 90mm for portraits and love the bokeh it produces.
06-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am still not sure but I am leaning towards the 'Di' version.

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
I use my Tamron 90mm for portraits and love the bokeh it produces.
Which one do you use? The 'Di' one?
07-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mine is the DI version.

07-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben E Quote
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am still not sure but I am leaning towards the 'Di' version.

Which one do you use? The 'Di' one?
All Tamron 90/2.8 macro lens has the same optical formula. The DI version (272E) is AF and the Adaptall-2 version (72B) is MF. In order to use 72B, you need to procure an Adaptall-2 PK/A or PK/M mount. PK/A mount will give you all auto functions except AF but is hard to find and expensive ($80~120.00). PK/M mount is cheaper but can only be used in M mode with green button for metering. 72B is priced at 1/2 or less than the 272E but when you add the cost of an Adaptall-2 PK/A mount, the difference becomes a lot closer.

I have the 72B and PK/A adapter because I found MF preferable over AF when it comes to shooting macro. If you are buying the 90/2.8 macro as an all purpose lens, AF will definitely be a plus.

Hope this helps,
07-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your advice. I think I will be saving up for the AF/Di/272E version then