Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Have all these extra lenses

I have found a box with a couple of lenses in it. I want to sell them and turn them into things that I want for my Medium format camera. But I don't know what these lenses are for, they are all screw mounts but I don't know for what. is there a secret way to tell what camera they are for.

06-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you post some pictures (specially of the mounts) I am sure people will help you
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Screwmounts generally fall into a few categories:

* M42 (42mm) and L39 (39mm for Leica) camera lenses
* Lenses for (but lacking) T and other 'universal' adapters
* Enlarger, projector, copy, Xray, and other specialized lenses
* Assorted flotsam & jetsam, including lone lens elements

To identify these, certain info is needed: what the mount looks like, and its size; and what is printed on the lens (brand name, model name maybe, serial number, focal length, aperture range). It doesn't hurt to know the physical size too, but but is less important. Once the mount, name, model etc are known, finding their value (in eBay COMPLETED LISTINGS data) is not difficult.

Post some pictures and the responses will follow!
06-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
? lenses

Here the wide angle vivitar no 22400084 28mm 1:2.5
the zoom tele is tele-astranar no. 68811 400mm 1:6.3

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A530  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A530  Photo 
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Assuming the optics are in good condition you can probably get about $50-60 total for both. They look to be M42 lenses.
06-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of those Tele-astranar 400mm lenses. They used to be advertised as the "girl-watcher special". If yours is like mine, it's a t-mount.
06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Man, there's a girl-watcher lens? I want it!

06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

deadwolfbones is probably right about the value. The M42 Vivitar 28/2.5 was made by Kiron and is quite a decent lens, but undervalued. I bought mine for US$20 a few months ago. It would probably sell for a little more now.

The Tele-Astranar was variously branded as Albinar, Lentar, Spiratone, other discount labels. I bought my (Spiratone) version for US$15 a couple years ago. I think they go for around twice that now. There's no way to tell who made it. Mine is a T-mount with a T2-M42 adapter. (T-mount and T2 were 'universal' mount system with adapters for many types of cameras.) You might see if the mount has a fat knurled ring around it -- that is the adapter.

EDIT: Yeah, the 400 is a Babe Bazooka. Great for loitering near nude beaches. Or so I have read.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-30-2011 at 03:16 PM.
06-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Screwmounts generally fall into a few categories:

* M42 (42mm) and L39 (39mm for Leica) camera lenses
* Lenses for (but lacking) T and other 'universal' adapters
* Enlarger, projector, copy, Xray, and other specialized lenses
* Assorted flotsam & jetsam, including lone lens elements

To identify these, certain info is needed: what the mount looks like, and its size; and what is printed on the lens (brand name, model name maybe, serial number, focal length, aperture range). It doesn't hurt to know the physical size too, but but is less important. Once the mount, name, model etc are known, finding their value (in eBay COMPLETED LISTINGS data) is not difficult.

Post some pictures and the responses will follow!
Don't forget the m44 that Miranda used at one point. It pays to pay close attention to any Soligor screwmount lens for that reason.
07-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Don't forget the m44 that Miranda used at one point. It pays to pay close attention to any Soligor screwmount lens for that reason.
Oh yeah, Miranda M44. A guy at a photo shop sold me some piece of Miranda gear once. I got it home; it didn't fit; I fumed; I measured; I returned it. Lucky I wasn't traveling at the time. (That was a temporary home, and 30 miles from the shop.)

Then there are the M37 Asahi lenses; and various USA-made lenses with inch-based mounts including a 1.5in thread that's 38.1mm and a 1 5/8in that's 41.275mm, close enough for craziness; and the T- and T2-mounts with a 42mm thread but different pitch than M42; and other threads for specific applications. Always carry a micrometer!
07-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

nice collections!