Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Let's see, I have 25 lenses at the moment (and "only" 4 fifties). On the other hand I've bought and sold about 200 lenses (including a few dozen fifties) over the past 20 months (since discovering and joining this forum), so I'm much closer to your level of "crazy" in that respect
I think you need to sell me some more of your lenses, laugh. (I just bought his kit lens which I am enjoying very much, thank you!)

07-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I tend to agree with that philosophy but only when it comes to Barbie dolls not camera lenses, which is why I have more Barbies than I like to admit to having on my shelves. :P I can't afford to horde lenses the way I do Barbies though. I'd be broke in a heartbeat if I bought lenses the same way I buy used Barbie dolls. Barbies, I can still get for 50 cents or a buck a pop out at the flea market. I sure wish I could still find lenses for those kind of prices! Lenses I can have too many of actually. Old Barbies, no way, lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The only people who arguably have "too many" lenses are those whose primary use of the lenses is taking pictures of their lens collection. But even they aren't hurting anybody, so what the heck does it matter?

I like it when people have whatever gear and how much gear (of whatever sort) it takes to help them go through life contented. I don't think there has ever yet been anybody who on his death bed reflected on his life and remarked, "I sure and glad I didn't go ahead and buy that lens....."
PS: Last count I had 350 Barbie dolls but that was before I added a TNT repro my folks bought me. By comparison I think I have less than a dozen lenses now, I think.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-03-2011 at 08:42 AM.
07-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I agree, lens hoarders don't need more than one of each lens, it's not like you would ever EVER use two 50's at the same time, even on two bodies.. you would have something different on the other body. But if they didn't keep more than one of them, it wouldn't be hoarding!
07-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I agree, lens hoarders don't need more than one of each lens, it's not like you would ever EVER use two 50's at the same time, even on two bodies.. you would have something different on the other body. But if they didn't keep more than one of them, it wouldn't be hoarding!
It is hard not to accumulate 50mm lenses if you buy old stuff. I bought an old Yashica for $5 because I wanted the Tamron 28mm it came with, it also came with a 50mm f1.7. The Tamron gets used, but because I have better 50mm lenses, I don't use the Yashinon, but it isn't really worth selling.

07-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

You tell your wife that you should go buy some new shoes for her, and then you say... "oooh look at this lens, it cost the same as your shoes, guess its time for us both to spoil ourselfs"
07-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I agree, lens hoarders don't need more than one of each lens, it's not like you would ever EVER use two 50's at the same time, even on two bodies..
I'll sometime have 4 Fifty's in my carry bag at once -- mostly: K50/1.2, FA50/1.4, CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades), MacroTakumar 50/4(1x). Or, substituting for one or two of those, might be: planar Yashica ML 50/1.4; M50/1.7; Meyer Primotar-E or Industar 50/3.5; Tomioka 55/1.4; various 50-55/1.8's; Helios-44 58/2, etc. Each lens has its own flavor, delivers its own results, and may force me to see and work in different ways, as do even the SuperTak and FA 50/1.4's, with the same optics. All Fifty's are not equal, not by a long shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It is hard not to accumulate 50mm lenses if you buy old stuff.
They fall like rain from the skies!
07-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #37

Chex, you have some beautiful photos...

07-05-2011, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Hoarders serve a function as preservationists. Every lens they have is one that didn't end up in the junkyard and lost forever.
07-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by streetjeans Quote
Chex, you have some beautiful photos...
Thank you Still only happy with about 1 out of every 75-100 shots it seems.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Hoarders serve a function as preservationists. Every lens they have is one that didn't end up in the junkyard and lost forever.
I agree, I hate seeing good glass (even if it has slight damage, or just in need of a good cleaning) sitting in a pawn shop or garage sale being a step away from the landfill. Now I try and pick up extra M42 mount lenses for my nephew (who has a T2i) since I gave him an M42 to EOS adapter and a 55mm f1.8 and 200mm f4 to work with. I told him, don't get rid of these lenses, when you done with them they go to someone who will use them or they come back to me to find someone else.

It just would be nice to see more of the good old glass available from people keeping multiples of them, that's all.
07-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

It just would be nice to see more of the good old glass available from people keeping multiples of them, that's all.
I only have multiples of lenses that aren't worth selling. D'y'know the current market values of Argus Cintar 50/3.5's and M50/2's? That's why I have a few of each. Just pathetic. But I suppose some people get off on having a dozen A50/1.2's on the shelf. Whatever.

In another context, I proposed a Conspiracy Theory: Let's say that a certain Firm bought a camera+lens Maker noted for the ability of their cameras to use vintage lenses. And that Firm decided to control the market in such vintage glass, to force users to buy new lenses. So that Firm may quietly bid-up the prices of quality vintage glass at auction. Either collectors acquire the lenses at high costs, so they won't resell them at lower prices; or the Firm acquires and stockpiles the prizes. Either way, vintage lens prices soar.

Users then might as well buy new lenses, because the old ones are no longer bargains. And the Firm makes money by selling new expensive lenses, and by 'leaking' a few of the old ones back to open market, recouping their costs when the lenses sell at premium prices. D'ya think this would work? IS it working?
07-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #41

I have an elicar 90mm mint condition.
Looks like new. The only thing that's bad about it is that there was a ring flash permanently mounted to it, and it required a huuuuuuge box to be mounted under the camera, almost as big as the camera itself. Now i have screwed it off and it works perfectly, but it sure looks a bit stupid.
07-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F* 300mm on eBay a week ago .

Beautiful lens, mint condition, reasonable BIN price. I should have just jumped on it! Instead, I watched it for a few days, and also put it on my B-Day wish list hoping wifey might spring for it [could happen, right?].

After my B-day [and the birthday loot was pretty dismal ] I decided to pull the trigger on buying the lens, but someone else had already snagged it a few hours earlier.

Next time, no hesitation! I'll just ask forgiveness afterwards [from 2 states distant].

update 8/24/2011:
I did not hesitate this time! I am now a proud owner of a F*300mm
Next up on my LBA list: DA 15mm Limited

Last edited by Moe49; 09-02-2011 at 05:37 AM.
08-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #43

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HOLLY SHIT!!! (excuse my language if not allowed, but I literally said this out loud just now!!!)

So, I'm new here to the forum and browsing around looking for some random info only to come across this thread...............I'm the one who bought this lens!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are the odds really???

Last edited by nms_photog; 08-02-2011 at 10:06 PM.
08-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
I'm the one who bought this lens!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are the odds really???
There is a principle of physics and probability: Every unique space-time event is, individually, almost infinitesimally improbable; and yet, stuff happens anyway!

The other answer is: A noticeable percentage of people buying non-trivial Pentax gear end up here at PFC; thus, the probability of encounters is fairly high.

Welcome aboard! You were fated to be here, eh?
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #45

Original Poster
Why you!!!!!
lol
Congrats on a great deal.