Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A weekend 'Caveat' tale...........

.......for all you LBA-afflicted 'Emptors' out there. Today I returned an SMC A* 85/1.4 that I received yesterday, having bought it on eBay at the B.I.N. price.( NOTE: this is not to criticize in any way the seller who has been uniformly courteous throughout the process and to whom I will give a positive rating as soon as my payment is returned. ) The reason for the return was 'condition', of course; the lens functioned well and the few pix I took seemed acceptable to my eye.

Though the lens was a little more heavily used than the advertising text and pix suggested these are subjective points that can only be determined with the object in hand, and by themselves would not have prompted a return, only a little disapointment. The same is true for the not-disclosed Tamron rear cap.

But this made keeping it impossible for me: the seller stated, 'We cannot spot any dust particles inside the lens either.' Well, when I looked through the tube I wasn't exactly reminded of a 'snow globe' but it was close. So I took a couple of pix and sent them off to the seller who agreed they were there and at variance with his ad and agreed to accept a return.

Condition is everything, especially inside the tube. And more so in the more expensive items.

In my gun collecting years when differences like this would crop up we would gently ask, 'Did you by any chance ever use that piece for a boat anchor?'

End of story................the search goes on.

11-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear your story. At least you are able to return it for a refund.

I bought my A*85/1.4 through the photo.net classifieds. The seller and I obviously didn't know each other and we were in different countries. I think we were both slightly freaked out about the transaction risk. In the end everything worked out and he even included the hard-to-find lens hood. (If he's reading this, a big thank you again.)

Keep looking. You won't regret getting one. Best of luck.
11-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just one more in a VERY LONG list of reasons why I stopped conducting business through ebay. KEH is the only on-line place I trust for used gear. So I might pay a little more, so what? I don't worry about the condition of what I buy anymore.

Ebay might be a great place for sellers, but for buyers it has become way too risky as far as I'm concerned.
11-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
mer

Ebay is fine as long as you know what you are doing .

I have bought an excellent Pentax DFA 50mm macro for 170 pounds from Henry's ( through ebay though ) . The same lens sells for like 300 pounds and sometimes more in UK , so I saved at least 130 pounds .

I have bought a very good Pentax-M F1.4 50mm for 30 pounds including shipping from USA . ( no extra taxes )

I have bought good extension tubes for 5 pounds .

I have bought a good bellows for 5 pounds .

I have bought a genuine Pentax reverse ring 49mm and a step-up adapter for 3 pounds .

and I will continue to buy from ebay , there are some amazing deals I have saved tons of money . But yeah I know what you mean ebay can be risky .

The 85mm f1.4 is an amazing lens , but I cannot afford one at the moment and if I could I would probably get a pentax 200mm f4 macro hehe

11-18-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My eBay experience, though brief, has been positive though I notice the trends that bother others. There are still bargains to be found - I have actually 'doubled' on some of my SUP-TAKs when a price for a mint item was too low to ignore - just last night I got two PTX K-adapters for $10 each plus $4 shipping.

I'll find the right 85/1.4 somewhere, someday............
11-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Wouldn't it have been possible to have a tech clean the lens? These babies don't come by that often. Sorry you had trouble.
thanks
barondla
11-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I suspect cleaning is possible; I might even have done it myself but based my decision on the
total 'view'. The less than mint exterior plus the internal specks made it better for me to eat
the twenty bucks cost for the return and keep on keepin' on...........looking, that is.........