Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What is this on an internal element of my FA77? Thoughts?

I hadn't used my FA77 in close to a month, so I decided to take it out and use it today. After I finished I took a look through it, and I found whatever is in the images below. I live in a warm, humid, sub-tropical environment, and generally without AC, so fungus (that dreaded word) is always a concern, although (hopefully) I have been safe thus far. But now I'm wondering what exactly this is on one of the internal elements. I'm not certain how long it's been there, and I've had the lens for around 2 years, purchased used from B&H, and although I do recall checking the lens thoroughly, well, I don't remember seeing this. It doesn't impact photo quality as far as I can tell, and it's is near the centre of the lens.

What do my fellow Pentaxians believe they are seeing? I'm hoping it's dust, or a scratch. If it's the latter, could that only mean that the lens had been opened previously, and scratched? I have no idea what fungus looks like in the beginning, and only know of the spider web look, although I've heard there are other kinds that can attack the glass. Other than this mark, and the odd bit of internal dust, the lens is perfect. Thoughts/opinions? I'll try to get a few better shots. Thanks in advance!

07-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

How big is it? It doesn't look like fungus and I don't think it's a scratch. Try tilting the lens and gently tap the side of the lens barrel, if it moves it's some sort of debris. If it doesn't affect IQ, I would leave it alone.

Thanks,
07-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. It's no more than 3mm in length and 1/2mm in width. I've tried to move the lens around in the manner you suggested, but it didn't move, so I don't think it will. I may be guilty of being paranoid/overly concerned, but especially considering the constant battle to decrease humidity, I wanted to get opinions from the forums. Thanks again.
07-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jurysi Quote
Thanks for the response. It's no more than 3mm in length and 1/2mm in width. I've tried to move the lens around in the manner you suggested, but it didn't move, so I don't think it will. I may be guilty of being paranoid/overly concerned, but especially considering the constant battle to decrease humidity, I wanted to get opinions from the forums. Thanks again.
I think the concern over fungus in the lens border on paranoid for many here in the forums. Think of the dampest area in your home (usually the bathroom) if you have excessive problem of mold growing in your bathroom or any other damp spots, you might have cause for alarm but for most part simple precautions like storing your lens with silica gel and periodically bring your lenses out of storage to air them out should be more than enough.

I don't know where you are located but I live on the west coast of BC where we have spring, summer, fall and the rainy season, and I don't have any problems with fungus in the lens, even those FD lenses I haven't touched in a decade or more. Hmm, may be I should check if that's still true or not...

Thanks,

07-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
I saw that you are in Vancouver, where I have spent quite a bit of time so I can certainly appreciate that you face similar wet conditions. I live in Bermuda, and we don't use our air conditioners very often in my home. Summer months can see the temperatures at 85 and humidity at 80% and more. We do have minor issues with mold in the bathrooms/closed areas if not ventilated consistently and well enough. If not looked after, leather, fabric and other surfaces can have issues fast. After I ran out of a good silica I was using, I recently moved my lenses into a closet that has a heat rod, that does well at protecting clothes and shoes. The silica gel I found as a replacement (Air Muncher) wears out so fast even when in the heated closet (not even days) it is concerning. Thanks again, and I certainly don't want to add to the paranoia.

Last edited by jurysi; 07-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.
07-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jurysi Quote
I saw that you are in Vancouver, where I have spent quite a bit of time so I can certainly appreciate that you face similar wet conditions. I live in Bermuda, and we don't use our air conditioners very often in my home. Summer months can see the temperatures at 85 and humidity at 80% and more. We do have minor issues with mold in the bathrooms/closed areas if not ventilated consistently and well enough. If not looked after, leather, fabric and other surfaces can have issues fast. After I ran out of a good silica I was using, I recently moved my lenses into a closet that has a heat rod, that does well at protecting clothes and shoes. The silica gel I found as a replacement (Air Muncher) wears out so fast even when in the heated closet (not even days) it is concerning. Thanks again, and I certainly don't want to add to the paranoia.
You have it worse than I do because of the heat and humidity, whereas in Vancouver it's cold and damp but because the heat is usually turned on, the dampness is mostly nullified. I am sure you know this but you can 'cook' the moisture out of the silica gel pack by popping them in a preheated oven (200F) for a few minutes.

Thanks,

Thanks,