Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I have a Takumar 135 f/2.5. It's pretty crappy. I bought it mainly to use with my Pen but still, it's just not that good. I had an SMC-A 135 f/2.8 that I really liked, but I gave it to my sister. I wrongly assumed the Takumar would be about the same.
Is that the Super or S-M-C Takumar, or the Takumar Bayonet? I have both of those and they're pretty good IMHO. But my eyeballs are delaminating, so what do I know?

07-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had 2 Soligor CD series zooms, repeat had and long gone. They were so bad that when I sold one of them I decided to provide the other as a bonus.
07-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
I had 2 Soligor CD series zooms, repeat had and long gone. They were so bad that when I sold one of them I decided to provide the other as a bonus.
Wasn't that just being mean to the person
07-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno:
Wasn't that just being mean to the person
It's like the old contest:

1st PRIZE: One week in Philadelphia.
2nd PRIZE: Two weeks in Philadelphia.

07-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Then please sign me up for 2nd Prize!
07-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Can I trade second for 3 weeks in Yellowknife. The heat wave is getting to me
07-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Can I trade second for 3 weeks in Yellowknife. The heat wave is getting to me
Ah, Yellowknife!

Yellowknife: 360 days of winter, 5.25 days of bull mosquitoes.
U know UR in Yellowknife when: The police say "FREEZE!" and you do.
U know UR in Yellowknife when: Your shadow freezes to the sidewalk.
U know UR in YK if: You set a cake out to cool & in 1 minute it's frosted.
U know UR in YK if: Your false teeth chatter and they're still in the glass.
U know UR in YK if: The snowman begs you to take him inside at night.
U know UR in YK when: You light a candle and the flame freezes.

Yellowknife - Glove it or leave it.
Yellowknife - Have you jump started your kid today?
Yellowknife - Land of two seasons: July and Winter.
Yellowknife - Land of two seasons: Winter and Road Construction.
Yellowknife - Land of two seasons: Winter is coming. Winter is here.
Yellowknife - Many are cold but few are frozen.
Yellowknife - One day it's warm the rest of the year it's cold.
Yellowknife - mosquito supplier to the free world.
Yellowknife ...I came. I thawed. I transferred.
Yellowknife Headline: COLD WAVE LINKED TO TEMPERATURES
Yellowknife gets colder than a bucket of penguin poop
Yellowknife has five seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Winter.
Yellowknife, NWT: Home of the Thermally Challenged!
Yellowknife, a really cool place!
Yellowknife: Many are cold, but few are frozen.
Yellowknife: closed for glacier repairs.

et cetera
07-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Sigma 70-150mm f/3,5 M42. Rare lens. Despite being quite fast for old zoom and reasonably well built, IQ was just turd above 100mm

07-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #129

Well,
from 3 of my worst lenses none fully fits the restrictions of the 1st post. But nevertheless...

#3, the bronze:
Tokina AF270 28-70/2.8
I can hardly recommend this lens for anybody, who isn't aware of Tokina glass. Without the hood on you can easily completely (and I do mean completely) screw up the shot when you see nothing but some light-grey soup. Very short focus ring throw of 45 degrees only. Noticeable lack of contrast wide open (but it jumps up right at f3.2). But I managed to get very descent shots with it and - moreover - I really enjoyed getting with it. Learning to harness and control it. And finally dominate it. I don't regret spending those $250 for this lens and though I don't use this lens any more, but I'm not going to sell it, ever. It's not a bad lens, actually, you only need to know how to drive it.
I only mention this lens here to fulfill the bronze prize: if there're silver and gold awards, then there must also be the bronze award. This isn't a bad lens, but... just not-that-perfect and as every Tokina - not for every one.

#2, the silver:
Pentax FA-J 28-105 3.2-4.5 AL IF.
I danced boogy-woogy when I f#cking got rid of it. Sorry for a strong language, but you'd agree that there's a definite difference between selling something, getting rid of it and getting the f#ck out of it. The latter is the case for this one.
I hated it. It's ugly like every every FA and especially FA-J. Every pef I took with ist DS with this lens required significant corrections in post-processing and only single one turned out good. AF was a pain. MF was a HUGE pain. Even zoom was a pain. It was pain to look at this lens, to touch this lens and to shoot with the lens. I had to add DA 50-200 for free to finally have it sold. Probably it's not THAT bad optically, but it's a huge PITA to have it on your cam.

and the winner is...

#1, the gold award
Olympus ED 4.6-92/2.8-4.5 AF, built-in for SP570UZ prosumer compact. If I danced boogy-woogy when I sold that FA-J, then I went really dead drunk that day I sold this miserable rubbish crap. If I were a president, I would claim that day to be a national photography holiday - a definite day-off for every one who ever heard anything about shutter. Although, to be honest, I can't say anything bad for the glass itself rather then lens barrel wobbling, but the system (SP570UZ is a compact camera with non-interchangeable lens) became a monstrous PITA after first two or three weeks. I more fought with the camera rather then took shots. My biggest and absolutely epic fail with photo gear to day.

Zig
07-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #130
Pentaxian

My worst lens by far is my copy of a Tokina 20-35 f2.8 AF AT-X Pro. Can't get anything close to sharp at any FL or aperture. It's the only lens I've ever sent to the factory to have checked, and they returned it saying it was within spec. It's the only Tokina I've gotten that's not at least competent.

I've kept it hoping that it might just be a matter of it not playing well with my bodies, but after 5 bodies and many hopeful tests, both AF and MF, I'm convinced it's just a dog.

I had read some encouraging reviews before I placed a bid on it though, and won it at auction for a song. I've not gotten rid of it because I couldn't sell this lens to anyone with a clear conscience. It's pretty heavy though, and works fine as a photo themed paper weight. . .

Scott
05-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #131
Inactive Account

My worst is the DA 18-55 WR.

Now that sounds too harsh, but it's only because all my other lenses are IQ champs:
- 21mm Limited
- K 28 f/3.5
- A 35-105 f/3.5
- A 50 f/1.7
- F 70-210 f/4-5.6 (the version with SMC)
05-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weber Quote
My worst is the DA 18-55 WR.
I'd say that's true in my case, too. It came with the 2nd hand K-7 and I kept it for situations where I really need WR. I haven't run into such a situation yet but, if I do, I'm ready.
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #133
Banned

Photos: Albums
Lensbaby; where three hundered dollars could have been put towards a real lens
05-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #134
Veteran Member

my zoom creeping heavy as a brick, mounted maybe three times, Vivitar 28-85 with the retarded variable auto focus. not to be confused with "Auto Focus". I keep because i feel no one will want it
05-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #135

Photos: Albums
My worst K-Mount lens would have to be the Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 manual focus lens. The image quality isn't so hot; soft wide-open; flares fairly easily. Plastic mount; 5 aperture blades; unimpressive build quality.

So why do I keep it? Well, I picked it up for just $15, and it's my only K-Mount 28mm lens. And I've actually used its... unusual... rendering characteristics creatively to my advantage in the past. As though it was a Holga lens or something. ;-)
Closed Thread