Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I stand corrected, the A series 50mm f/1.7 does indeed have 6 blades, but the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 has 8 - the A series 50mm f/1.2 has 9 aperture blades.
I'm sure it get confusing when you have 178 I only have 14 so it's easier to keep track.

07-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Pentax Asahi SMC 40-80 f2.8-4 Macro. Ugly and hard to focus. Paid $60 used thinking it would make a good bug lens.
That would be one of my candidates but I sold it (at a painful loss). Also mine was rather worn physically; I don't know how bad it would be when in new condition. But I still rate my A35-80 as worse.
07-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A pinhole lens I made which is theoretically as good as it can be - and the photos are as good as they can be - which isn't very good with an asp-c camera.

I went through all the theory and construction then was disappointed at the photo quality before realizing the meaning of the theory. The spot size for a pinhole camera's image cannot be any smaller than the diameter of the pinhole.

For an optimum 50mm pinhole lens that's about the same as a display pixel which basically means you can't enlarge the image at all.

Enlarged about 2.5x:
07-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have got to say it's the Opteka 500/8 mirror. I have had a few good shots from it but but I'll take a crop from my cheap Sigma 70-300 any day over the mirror. I bought it used for $40 and change. I keep it because the best results I have had with it are candid portrait shots. It does those pretty good. The donut bokeh can look pretty cool sometimes. The somewhat soft focus isn't always bad with people shots. Maybe if I used it more I'd get better results but I now have an M300/4 and a Pentax A 2x converter that produces very good results when I can keep it steady.

07-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Jupiter9 for me. Totally not what I expected. I'd been looking for a nice 'portrait' focal length 85mm lens and thought this one was it.
Unfortunately, it was not cheap either compared to the earlier days when ppl got this for a few dollars.
Too soft all the way from f2 to f4.

I'd rather pay just a bit more for a M85/2 which I did and have no regrets.
Did you use a hood? I found that the J9 flares like no other wide open, which can be perceived as a lack of sharpness. Also, you didn't say why you still keep it despite not liking it.
07-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
my albinar adg 28mm f/2.8 macro, super soft until about f/8

got it for 10 bucks and im too damn lazy to sell it now.
Really? Thats one lens I wish I never sold There's something about a close focusing 28mm that I love. Opens up a whole new world

As for me? Definitely my Pentax M 50mm F/2. Why do I keep it? Because I'
d probably lose money selling it due to shipping
07-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
As for me? Definitely my Pentax M 50mm F/2. Why do I keep it? Because I'd probably lose money selling it due to shipping
How about donating it? Would clean up some shelf space.

There must be some substantial sample variation with this one. Mine is a keeper.

07-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I still rate my A35-80 as worse
That lens is my worst as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the worst SMC lens Pentax ever released. A lens fit only for bad photographers, the stuff of nightmares for the rest of us.

Definitely my Pentax M 50mm F/2
That lens may be (along with my M 28/2.8) the worst of my primes. "Worst" in this sense is relative. These lenses are not absolutely bad like the A 35-80: they merely aren't as good as most other Pentax SMC primes.
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
How about donating it? Would clean up some shelf space.

There must be some substantial sample variation with this one. Mine is a keeper.
That would involve shipping it, which would involve spending money
I have 2 Pentax M 50mm F/1.7's, Auto-Tak 55mm F/1.8, and a Pentax K 50mm F/1.2. It can't really stand with any of them IMO (and I've shot four different pentax 50mm F/2 lenses)
07-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would say my worst lenses are my Accura Diamatic YS 135 2.8, Auto Sunset 35 2.8 and Asanuma Auto-Tele 200 3.5. Simply because I have never used any of them.
07-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Mine would be a Chinon MC 135mm f/2.8 in M42 mount, got it on ebay for $60 shipped.

Stopped down below f/4 it is amazingly sharp, but I can't focus the thing worth a damn. I don't have a problem with other MF lenses, it's just something about this lens that causes me to miss-focus 80% of the time.
Also, I need an inordinately fast shutter speed to keep it steady, SR doesn't seem to have much effect on it...

I keep it because it is a beautifully constructed metal lens, the pop-out lens hood is adorable, and the bokeh at 2.8 is very creamy and smooth - a unique type of bokeh among the lenses I own. Here is a sample.
If I ever need to show off a well-built lens to someone, this is it.

A K-mount lens I never use anymore is Takumar-A 70-200 f/4, I bought it a few years ago as an alternative to my Sigma 70-300 (which I sold about a year ago), it is marginally sharper than the Sigma, but still has the same problems with PF. I keep it because I've taken some memorable pictures with it, and it is my only "one-touch" zoom and focus lens.

Last edited by Mock; 07-03-2011 at 11:04 AM.
07-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Probably the worse optically I have right now is the Spiratone 12mm f8 fisheye. There doesn't seem to be any focal point on this lens. There is no focus ring, just aim it and shoot. It has 3 aperture settings f8, f11, f16 which is achieved by a rotating ring with holes in it. No blades. It is a T mount lens and no amount of adjustments I've made to both the lens and the mount gives me a 'sharp' picture. There's just good enough with this lens.

I couldn't begin to tell why I bought it, I already had the DA12-24 when I did. I Keep it because even though it's less than ideal, it's still a fun lens to play with from time to time.

Spiratone 12mm f8 - a set on Flickr

07-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Probably the worse optically I have right now is the Spiratone 12mm f8 fisheye.
Oh yeah, I have that badged as Vemar, and it IS even worse than the A35-80. Thanks for reminding me. I can't adjust the T2 mount for anything resembling 'sharpness' beyond a couple meters. So I use it as a bad closeup lens. If at all. It's another that just isn't worth selling.
07-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I have 2 Pentax M 50mm F/1.7's, Auto-Tak 55mm F/1.8, and a Pentax K 50mm F/1.2. It can't really stand with any of them IMO (and I've shot four different pentax 50mm F/2 lenses)
Wow, nice collection! I can see why you don't need it then. I have the ST 55/1.8, ST 50/1.4, Helios 44-2 58/2 and SMC-A 50/2.8 macro in that focal range. The M50/2 is faster than the latter, beats the others in terms of flare resistance by quite a margin, and, opposed to what I heard some say, my copy is sharp even at f/2.

Last edited by Ikarus; 07-03-2011 at 04:48 PM.
07-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Whichever lens is attached to my camera.

Why? Because I'm not as good at being a photographer as my lenses are at being lenses.

I'm working on it, though.

From a purely optics-related perspective, my DA L 18-55 is my "worst".
Your TALKING my WALK!
And once again the DA L 18-55 dissapointed with indoor shots. I simply have to approach this lens without expectations.
Closed Thread