Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #1

DA limited 40mm vs FA43mm which one to get

Hi guys i was 1st thinking about getting FA 50 but after reading the reviews here i changed my mind. now i would like to decide on either DA limited 40mm or FA43mm Limited.

The camera that i have is K5 and i heard 43mm ltd is pretty slow in focusing and thus will miss some amounts of shots that you wouldn't in a DA 40 is this true?

The other Question is about speed 40mm is just F2.8 while 43mm F1.9 im in to Night and low light photography so will i have a problem with the DA 40mm considering the impressive high ISO performance of the K5

Last question is i heard DA is made in japan while FA43 is assembled in Vietnam and thus there is a Quality difference. is this correct

Over all is it worth paying double the amount for a FA43mm in terms of IQ,sharpness,Bokeh and low light photography

Thanks

07-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Both assembled in Vietnam. I own a da40 but id say buy the fa43, mainly for speed but FF compatability and aperture ring is nice bonus.
07-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The FA43 is one of my fastest focusing lenses and I dont think it will cause you to miss any shots that the DA40 can get.

The FA43 used to be made in japan (I got lucky and got one of the last Japan copys) but as twitch has said both are assembled in Vietnam, I dont think that there will be any difference.

As for the wider aperture, it is just over a full stop faster so in low light that could mean a difference between shooting at 3200iso with the FA43 rather than 6400iso with the DA40, or the difference between shooting at 1/60 shutter speed with FA43 or 1/30 with the DA40. Thats one way to look at it

At the end of the day, both are great lenses and you cant go wrong here, but I would recomend the FA43 is you can afford it
07-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA40 is the fastest focus lens I have outside of the DA*200. Press the button and snick, it's right there and right on. That, and it's diminutive size make it stay on my camera for the most part.

07-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

Definitely FA43 if you can afford.

The DA40 do win hands down with size, but FF compatibility of FA43, IQ, and F1.9 when you need it, sharp wide open, and its legacy worth all it takes.

My only regret is I only have 1 camera body or I would have got a silver version of it too.
07-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't say anything about the 40mm and can't say enough about the 43Ltd. Mine's AIV and I I see no QC problems. And old enough to remember the fifties when 'made in Japan' meant genuine plastic junk.
07-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Depends on your usage -

1) for stopped down stuff, the 43 will be sharper, and the 40 will have better flare resistance.
2) for low depth of field, the 43 wins. However neither focal length is really that great for portraits, so I would suggest selecting your lens based on your subjects. They both function as "normals" - the 40 being a real bargain, with amazing colour contrast flare resistance, but subpar DOF control. The 43 is stunning, amazing sharpness and a stop more of DOF control, with slightly slower AF and less flare resistance.

However, I would suggest you don't shell out for the 43 JUST so you can shoot at night!

1) 1 stop aperture difference is not best used to shoot at night, it's best used to control depth of field. You can get that sort of low light performance from an old 50mm f1.7 wide open.

2) Autofocus with the 43 is not going to make you happy in lighting where you would need to be shooting wide open to get a decent shot.

You have been warned . he 43 should be purchased for it's rendering, which is sharp center, zany bokeh, softer corners. It gives photos a real POP to em.

PS unless you don't like the focal length, check out the 50 as well. It's the better portrait lens and an absolute steal on the used market. Sharper than the 40 stopped down... you just need to invest in a good hood to avoid flare.
07-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I hope everyone knows that DA 40 is also FF compatible. The 43mm would be a step up from the 40, but I say get the 40.

07-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
axl
Inactive Account

I don't think 43 is so much slower in AF that it would make you miss a lot of shots...
I used to have both and it boils down to this:
-quick AF, rubbish MF no need for shallow DOF...40 is your friend
-AF, good MF, shallow(ish) DOF, and that little something extra in rendering...43 gets the nod...
I used to really like 40 when I had it but never missed it when I "upgreaded" to 43, on the other side, by the time I was selling 43 I think I was step ahead in my capabilities as photographer compared to time when I was selling 40. Now I think I hadn't really exploited 40's true potential...
07-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Depends on your usage -
2) for low depth of field, the 43 wins. However neither focal length is really that great for portraits, so I would suggest selecting your lens based on your subjects.
Paperbag is right on with this. The 43 is probably my favorite lens but it's better suited to full-body shots (IMO). Headshots with the 43 don't seem as flattering (unless you shoot from a distance and crop, which with its resolution it is very capable of.) For head & shoulder portraits I'd pick something else. But between the 40 and 43- I've never used the 40 so I can't honestly comment on that one, but I've been very happy with the FA 43 Ltd.
07-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Head and shoulders portraits can work with the FA43 Ltd.
I suppose it just depends on the subject.

07-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yes, the features of children tend to not look so bad when shot from the short distances the FA43 would requre.
07-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Depends on your usage -

1) for stopped down stuff, the 43 will be sharper, and the 40 will have better flare resistance.
2) for low depth of field, the 43 wins. However neither focal length is really that great for portraits, so I would suggest selecting your lens based on your subjects. They both function as "normals" - the 40 being a real bargain, with amazing colour contrast flare resistance, but subpar DOF control. The 43 is stunning, amazing sharpness and a stop more of DOF control, with slightly slower AF and less flare resistance.

However, I would suggest you don't shell out for the 43 JUST so you can shoot at night!

1) 1 stop aperture difference is not best used to shoot at night, it's best used to control depth of field. You can get that sort of low light performance from an old 50mm f1.7 wide open.

2) Autofocus with the 43 is not going to make you happy in lighting where you would need to be shooting wide open to get a decent shot.

You have been warned . he 43 should be purchased for it's rendering, which is sharp center, zany bokeh, softer corners. It gives photos a real POP to em.

PS unless you don't like the focal length, check out the 50 as well. It's the better portrait lens and an absolute steal on the used market. Sharper than the 40 stopped down... you just need to invest in a good hood to avoid flare.
I do think this one sums it up very well.