Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Australian users: buying from US?

Any Aussies here bought lenses from the US? I'm after a FA50/1.4 and would rather pay AU$250 for it than AU$350.
Feel free to offer a used one as well
Cheers guys.

11-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello
Yes I have bought a number of lens from the US. Have had no problems whatsoever and, more to the point, saved a heap.(Havent bought in Aus for some time, its almost extortion!)
I have never been charged any customs duty etc, I do believe that anything under $1000 is not charged for importation. (Dont quote me).
Can thoroughly recommend buying from US, but be sure of freight charge before comitting.
Any queries drop me a line, I may be able to give a bit of info.

Regards!
11-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi

I have bought photographic equipment mainly from keh.com and bhphotovideo.com and a couple of times from adorama.com. Apart from one stuff-up from adorama (which was resolved) every other transaction has been fine.

However I do find that prices for many of the 3rd party lenses (Tamron and Sigma) are actually not too bad in Australia. It is still more expensive than US but not by much after you factor in the shipping cost.

cheers
Kenny
11-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have bought quite a bit from the USA including an FA 50mm f/1.4 from adorama.

have used both Adorama and B&H and found them both helpful and efficient.

In both cases I emailed images of front and back of my credit card to verify my ownership and Adorama required a shot of my Card bill as further protection - although this was a minor PITA I was glad that they are security minded. Packing and dispatch were good for both.

Just remember that once the AUS dollar value exchanged at the rate at time of invoice exceeds AUS$1000 that the purchase will be liable for 10% GST on the total cost of the item including shipping costs (Landed Cost) plus a brokerage fee in the order of $60 or so. This also applies if the order is received in two or more parcels around the same time.

A couple of reference pages from the Aus Customs site,
Importing Goods by Post
When buying over the internet
exchange rates

Rod

11-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
i recently got my cousin in the us to get me the dfa 100mm, so that i could get the $100 rebate
so in aus the cheapest i found was ~$760+shipping
i got it from adorama for $490 (- $100) (approx $435)+shipping

i also got the af540 flash a couple weeks ago, didn't bother with the rebate, had it shipped directly, asked a few questions (via email) on the thursday, got fast responses, ordered on the friday (had to send in all the cc images, etc), and arrived on the following wednesday, would've been monday except for a mechanical error with the plane, and tuesday was melbourne cup day, something like $420 vs $720

both were bought from adorama, so i can wholeheartedly recommend them, although they sent about five copies of the invoice for some reason

i actually got the fa50 locally because i didn't think the difference was that great, but then again, it's much more likely that you'll be able to get it straight away from america, because local shops hardly ever have stock

good luck
dave
11-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Adorama - two thumbs up - used or new

Adorama is so good, I won't go anywhere else. New or used, they're just excellent.
11-18-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H sent a FA50/1.4 from the US to me faster than many things sent to me locally! Couldn't fault the transaction with them. Don't think you can go wrong with B&H or Adorama - reputation is everything!
11-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all!

11-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good to know.
I guess i should prepare myself and get copies of my CC and at least one copy of a current statement ... just so I can send it over immediately without stuffing around.
11-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Forum Member

Hi there yeah I have got stuff from the US. Thanks to the nice high aussie when it was at 92 us cents. Just got the DA 40mm ltd and af-360 flash for under AU $550 to my door I could only get the flash for that price here in Adelaide.
11-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought 2/3 of lenses from US, reliable and fast. Service is better too, prompt communication and excellant packaging as well.

Some of my other lenses come from this forum market place or ebay. Mainly out of production lenses though.

It is hopelessly expensive to buy in Australia, especially if the lenses are ever to be stocked!

Fa 50 f1.4 is a great lens. I am waiting for Da 55!