Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member
DaveHolmes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,501
Dear Ricoh....

Dear Ricoh...

Please re-issue all FA-series prime lenses...

If you sell lots (which I reckon if priced correctly you would) you'd be in a great position to market a FF dslr to both new customers and existing pentax users in the very near future...

Kind regards

Dave

07-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Clinton's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,826
Let's not forget the fa* zooms. The 80-200 and the 250-600.
07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Well on new lenses there is still the survey, and lots of old designs are in there.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146454-wich-le...r-d-money.html

And to put my personal favorite on top of the list: DA*135mm/f2.0 I would really want that!
12-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
The only reason I'm dredging up this thread is because I was going to start one just like this before I did a search.

Anyhow, everyone has their wish list for a specific lens. My first wish is more general: Please, Ricoh, commit to giving each new lens a fast, silent autofocus system that is found to be reliable BEFORE it enters the market, unlike the problems that more than a few people have been having with the SDM system! In other words, please endeavor to make Pentax AF technology as reputable and as Canon's USM or Nikon's SWM technologies. You don't have to put this system into DA* lenses only, but how about ALL new lenses, entry level as well? And that said, then please endeavor to dump the whole screw-drive system altogether (but keep new bodies able to use old screw-drive AF lenses, of course).

Another wish: Please, Ricoh, commit to expanding the DA* lineup of lenses. I know that 2011 was a year of transition, with Hoya looking to dump Pentax and you picking it up and giving us Pentax folks new hope. But it was still a disappointment with the releases of only entry- to intermediate-level lenses. Does this mean big things are on the horizon? How about an updated Pentax Lens Roadmap for starters?

In my case, I have a gap to fill between my DA 12-24 and my 50+ mm lenses. How about a DA* 24-70 f/2.8, for example, to compete head-to-head with Sigma's? Perhaps also something like a DA* 70-200 f/2.8 to complete the package? You get the point. Not too many people appear thrilled with the DA 17-70 f/4, mainly due to SDM issues but also because it doesn't have weather sealing and only f/4 instead of f/2.8. Why not invest in the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, you might ask? Because of SDM concerns once again, but also the inconsistent image quality issues that I've read about. A significant number of people should not be having quality issues with the money they pour into a lens with the label of DA*. It's an embarrassment to not only Pentax but also us Pentax users, and an insult quite frankly.

So Ricoh, if you could please design a fantastic, system-wide AF system and some exciting new DA* lenses, you will be breathing new life into a brand with a rich history and a bright potential future, and inspiring confidence among the loyal Pentaxians who've stuck with Pentax through thick and thin. Thank you.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. I've been waiting for SDM improvements/a new AF system and a much broader range of DA* lenses for quite some time. If 2012 doesn't get me excited in these regards, I'm afraid I'll have to start dumping my money into Sigma and Tamron offerings despite preferring the weathersealing and optical quality of Pentax glass. I'm also sure I'm not the only Pentax user who strongly feels this way.


Last edited by enoxatnep; 01-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.
01-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Verglace's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 468
I'd have to agree, from what I've read the pentax film lenses were some of the finest lenses out there. If they can update them maybe with the new coating they will be in a good position to come out with an FF camera. The Q experiment is clearly failing, if Ricoh can prep some of the FA limiteds to get them into circulation and then release a full frame the size of a k-5 with the right price they could be in a great position to carve out their own niche with a prosumer full frame camera.
01-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member
vrrattko's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
and on top of it...

dear Pentax / Ricoh, please decripple the mount to fully support K and M lenses
01-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
When has Ricoh ever produced distinctive, top quality SLR or DSLR lenses?
Wake up from wishful thinking and get real people.
01-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
When has Ricoh ever produced distinctive, top quality SLR or DSLR lenses?
Wake up from wishful thinking and get real people.
Hey, I'm just going off of rumblings that Ricoh wants to continue the Pentax name and grow it - make it even better - unlike what Hoya cared to do. And obviously I mean Ricoh making the most out of Pentax's rich history of lens development, not somehow starting from (almost) scratch.


Last edited by enoxatnep; 01-01-2012 at 12:45 PM.
01-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Hey, I'm just going off of rumblings that Ricoh wants to continue the Pentax name and grow it - make it even better - unlike what Hoya cared to do. And obviously I mean Ricoh making the most out of Pentax's rich history of lens development, not somehow starting from (almost) scratch.
Let's set the record straight, if it were not for Hoya being the proverbial white knight and coming to the rescue of the ailing Pentax there wouldn't even be Pentax as we know it today. Hoya was the saviour that injected money and booted out the ultra conservative board members who were responsible for a string of frankly forgettable film cameras which were commercial flops, and who didn't have the foresight to bring to market digital cameras early enough. Why do you think the old Pentax management made the decision to discontinue the majority of FA & FA* series of lenses if not for the fact that their film cameras weren't selling. Simply put no company can maintain such a big lens line-up if not enough people are buying their cameras.

Hoya has always been a financially savvy company and merely recovering its investment by hiving off the modestly performing camera division to another company. Some may think it's a corporate raider, but it definitely was responsible for increasing the user base, making a profit and reviving the brand. We all have to thank Hoya for that.

Ricoh may have had a longer photographic lineage compared to Hoya but it is also a company which has had a reputation for producing cheap or quirky, off-beat cameras that have yet to achieve any kind of broad based commercial success. By buying Pentax for a song it hopes to attempt to punch above its weight and capture the size and market share it never had. Prospects for Ricoh pulling it off is a longshot that only time will be the judge. Personally I hope they can somehow pull it off but I'm frankly not optimistic.

Last edited by creampuff; 01-01-2012 at 01:59 PM.
01-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,281
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ricoh may have had a longer photographic lineage compared to Hoya but it is also a company which has had a reputation for producing cheap or quirky, off-beat cameras that have yet to achieve any kind of broad based commercial success. By buying Pentax for a song it hopes to attempt to punch above its weight and capture the size and market share it never had.
Now there is an interesting statement. I currently own three Ricoh film SLRs and there is nothing quirky or cheap about any of them. Quality, performance and features of all three are par or a little above for the times when they were made. To be truthful, much as I like my Pentax KX and Pentax Super Program, I prefer my XR-2s and XR-7 to either of them.


Steve


BTW...back-in-the-day (early 1980s), both the XR-2s and XR7 were Consumer Reports top picks...I don't believe there were any Pentax products on that list.
01-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 183
I'm with the original poster. The FA and FA* series are so highly regarded, it only makes sense to bring them back. Without decreasing the speed (FA35 --> DA35), removing the aperture ring, or cropping them.
01-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
I'm with the original poster. The FA and FA* series are so highly regarded, it only makes sense to bring them back. Without decreasing the speed (FA35 --> DA35), removing the aperture ring, or cropping them.
I don't want Pentax (Ricoh) to resurrect the dead. It would be foolish for Pentax to bring back full-frame lenses unless they're serious about producing a full-frame DSLR. Instead, I want them to add a Pentax-unique, USM type of AF system (lightning fast, silent - not their troublesome SDM), as I've argued, to all of their DA and DA* lenses, plus expand the DA* line.

But as creampuff noted, people like me are probably dreaming; Pentax still probably doesn't have the market share to justify doing this. In the meantime, we have a schizophrenic array of lenses being currently produced: most screw-drive, some SDM; most DA, some FA. Talk about sending mixed signals! To top it off, one of their most recent D FA (100mm WR Macro) lenses is also full-frame compatible. Hello?!?!?!?!?!

I would LOVE some more consistency. But without a lot of money, this mess can't be cleaned up. Maybe I am too foolishly hopeful about Ricoh taking the helm after all.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 01-01-2012 at 05:57 PM.
01-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Now there is an interesting statement. I currently own three Ricoh film SLRs and there is nothing quirky or cheap about any of them. Quality, performance and features of all three are par or a little above for the times when they were made. To be truthful, much as I like my Pentax KX and Pentax Super Program, I prefer my XR-2s and XR-7 to either of them.


Steve


BTW...back-in-the-day (early 1980s), both the XR-2s and XR7 were Consumer Reports top picks...I don't believe there were any Pentax products on that list.
Yes I do remember the Ricoh XR-2, the auto-exposure version of the all manual XR-1. A decent SLR camera with the diagonal split-image rangefinder focusing screen, Copal shutter and match needle metering reminiscent of the Nikon FE and other SLRs of that generation... but remember, we're talking about the early 80s here. The only wildly successful Ricoh was the budget KR-5 SLR and its variants, but that's history.

From that era till today, I dare say there hasn't been a Ricoh since then that has enjoyed both critical acclaim and more importantly commercial success in the digital era. Put simply, novel as the current GR and GXR range of cameras may be, precious few are clamouring for a Ricoh nowadays.
01-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,176
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I don't want Pentax (Ricoh) to resurrect the dead. It would be foolish for Pentax to bring back full-frame lenses unless they're serious about producing a full-frame DSLR. Instead, I want them to add a Pentax-unique, USM type of AF system (lightning fast, silent - not their troublesome SDM), as I've argued, to all of their DA and DA* lenses, plus expand the DA* line.

But as creampuff noted, people like me are probably dreaming; Pentax still probably doesn't have the market share to justify doing this. In the meantime, we have a schizophrenic array of lenses being currently produced: most screw-drive, some SDM; most DA, some FA. Talk about sending mixed signals! To top it off, one of their most recent D FA (100mm WR Macro) lenses is also full-frame compatible. Hello?!?!?!?!?!

I would LOVE some more consistency. But without a lot of money, this mess can't be cleaned up. Maybe I am too foolishly hopeful about Ricoh taking the helm after all.
as much as I would like to see the FA line come alive in some respects, I do think there is a minimal update needed I think the revived models need the updated firmware that will provide the camera the same information that is derived from the DA lines (and FA Ltd)
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Senior Member
Rick Clark's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Provo, Utah
Posts: 128
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
The only reason I'm dredging up this thread is because I was going to start one just like this before I did a search.

Anyhow, everyone has their wish list for a specific lens. My first wish is more general: Please, Ricoh, commit to giving each new lens a fast, silent autofocus system that is found to be reliable BEFORE it enters the market, unlike the problems that more than a few people have been having with the SDM system! In other words, please endeavor to make Pentax AF technology as reputable and as Canon's USM or Nikon's SWM technologies. You don't have to put this system into DA* lenses only, but how about ALL new lenses, entry level as well? And that said, then please endeavor to dump the whole screw-drive system altogether (but keep new bodies able to use old screw-drive AF lenses, of course).

Another wish: Please, Ricoh, commit to expanding the DA* lineup of lenses. I know that 2011 was a year of transition, with Hoya looking to dump Pentax and you picking it up and giving us Pentax folks new hope. But it was still a disappointment with the releases of only entry- to intermediate-level lenses. Does this mean big things are on the horizon? How about an updated Pentax Lens Roadmap for starters?

In my case, I have a gap to fill between my DA 12-24 and my 50+ mm lenses. How about a DA* 24-70 f/2.8, for example, to compete head-to-head with Sigma's? Perhaps also something like a DA* 70-200 f/2.8 to complete the package? You get the point. Not too many people appear thrilled with the DA 17-70 f/4, mainly due to SDM issues but also because it doesn't have weather sealing and only f/4 instead of f/2.8. Why not invest in the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, you might ask? Because of SDM concerns once again, but also the inconsistent image quality issues that I've read about. A significant number of people should not be having quality issues with the money they pour into a lens with the label of DA*. It's an embarrassment to not only Pentax but also us Pentax users, and an insult quite frankly.

So Ricoh, if you could please design a fantastic, system-wide AF system and some exciting new DA* lenses, you will be breathing new life into a brand with a rich history and a bright potential future, and inspiring confidence among the loyal Pentaxians who've stuck with Pentax through thick and thin. Thank you.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. I've been waiting for SDM improvements/a new AF system and a much broader range of DA* lenses for quite some time. If 2012 doesn't get me excited in these regards, I'm afraid I'll have to start dumping my money into Sigma and Tamron offerings despite preferring the weathersealing and optical quality of Pentax glass. I'm also sure I'm not the only Pentax user who strongly feels this way.
I just sent an email as to what you refer to here. Sent to Ricoh and an old Pentax address also. Hope they listen???
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dear Santa.......K-5 richman Pentax K-5 4 12-15-2010 09:01 AM
Misc Oh dear, oh dear, oh deer... Rense Post Your Photos! 5 11-05-2010 07:41 PM
Dear John, I'm Gone Wheatfield General Talk 7 09-08-2009 08:15 PM
My Dear, Dear Friends: Don't Do This. Mike Cash Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 54 12-07-2007 11:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top