Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Messed up my Pentax SMC-F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5

So, my great ebay deal turned a little sour when the 35-70 SMC-F I was delivered came with a shitton of fungus. I removed the front element and cleaned it, no biggie. I removed the rear element, cleaned both of the accessable elements, and then reassembled the lens. I must have done something wrong. The lens works fine, but the F-stop is always "---" regardless of the fact I have it in the "A" position. What did I do wrong? I didn't lose a single spring or plunger, even the little gold spring is right where it should be. Ideas?

Charles.

07-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nevermind. I loosened the screws in the bayonet and shifted it ever so slightly, tightened it back down, and it works now.

One thing, I couldn't figure out how to get access to the moving element inside. It looks like it screws out the front, but I can't do it by hand or with small screwdrivers in the dentents. Does it come out the front, as I suspect? And if so, is there a special tool I can buy to remove it?

Thanks.

Charles.
07-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with the guts of the lens you're working on, but a compass or dividers with metal legs from a mapping/geometry set can often be substituted for a proper lens spanner when you need to unscrew elements. Just be careful not to slip and gouge an element or the inside of the lens.
07-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't have the lens spanner, so I used a digital caliper (because work had one so it didn't cost me anything to try it out.) It worked really well.

It's really easy to scratch things up, though.

When I go exploring again, I think I might put a little tape on the ends of the caliper to try to reduce damage.

Take care,
Glen

07-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The calipers I have won't reach in there that far in there, but that's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for some calipers that will fit.

Charles.
07-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used a pair of snap-ring pliers and that did the trick. The ends were too bit to fit in the dentents solidly, but I was still able to apply enough force to rotate the element. I need a little flat black paint to touch up the scratches I made, but all the fungus is cleaned now, and this lens is sharp! It still has dust inside, no matter how I try I can't seem to get it all, but I'll live with that for now. Pictures look great, and it works fine, so I'm happy!

Charles.