Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
stuck rear lens cap on tamron 70-300?

Anyone ever had this happen? I'm hoping someone knows a trick to getting it off.

I've fiddled w/ it for over half an hour (including moving the lens focus, etc.) and can't seem to get the rear cap off. I found one ancient post on photo.net where someone had this happen and he had to use an x-acto knife to cut if off

11-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Use you palm to apply even pressure downwards while turning the cap counter clock wise. Whatever has put the pressure on it had to happen when you turned it clock wise while putting it on.
Kenn
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KennJ Quote
Use you palm to apply even pressure downwards while turning the cap counter clock wise. Whatever has put the pressure on it had to happen when you turned it clock wise while putting it on.
No luck unfortunately :-P
I've also tried putting pressure on various sides of the lens cap hoping it's some weird effect like a medicine bottle.
11-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's a tool you can get to remove lids. It looks like a giant pair of tweezers and has various-sized diameters in the inner ends to accommodate a variety of different sized lids. These circles are rubberized. You simply open the tweezers to fit over the lid (or lens cap) and squeeze on the open ends to form a firm seal. It gives much greater torque than you could ever manage with your palm or your grip alone. You should be able to pick one up in any kitchen store. They're quite inexpensive... around $5.

Let us know how you make out. If I get time I'll take a picture of ours in case you don't understand what I'm talking about.

11-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Forgive the lousy depth of field. Here it is:

11-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Melt it off!!!!
11-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm almost with Buddha on this one, but don't believe that you have to go to that extreme.

I'd try a hair dried on high first, and if that doesn't work a heat gun.

If you use a heat gun there's a good chance that the lens cap is ruined.

I know that some of mine fit loosely on some of my lenses and tight on others, so there's a good chance that you can use that one on some of your lenses but I wouldn't use it on that one again.

11-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol! happened w/my Tamron 28-75mm!!! I thought I'd never get it off. I can't tell you what 'trick' I used to get it off; it just 'did' after some time. But once I did, I realized next time I put it on, I had to line up the two 'slots' in the cap with the red dot, or something like that. It's the only lens and cap I need to take care when putting the cap on.
11-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
James: it's not stuck as in glass jar stuck. It'll loosen about 1/16th of a turn and then get stuck on something; at this point, it'll lift maybe 1/32" off the lens back. I've tried as much torque as I'm willing to try w/o risking permanent damage.

m80: I suspect that's exactly what happened. With lens caps, I usually just put it back on and spin it clockwise until it lands in the slot, figuring there's only one slot. With Tamron's dumb rear lens cap design, you can apparently put it into a slot that's not meant for it and it gets into this state. Really dumb IMHO and nothing mentioned about this in the docs. I emailed Tamron's customer service to see if they know of any tricks...if they don't I'm going to send it back to them for warrantee service since this can't be an intended design...maybe they can improve the CA/PF while they have it :-)
11-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #10

I had this happen too. Just keep messing with the cap. If you got it on that way, you can get it back off. Just keep twisting it and pulling it a little. It may help to do it while pullng on one side more than the other and rocking it.
11-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

have you tried using a feeler gauge(very thin metal strip) in between the cap and back of the lens. since it'll come free a little maybe you can find what's holding it..
11-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did rock it for a while, jiggled, etc. I think I'm going to give up and send it back to Tamron. If they mess it up, I'm hoping they'll fix it :-)
Here's their amusing reply to my query:
"I think you might have to send the lens in because the cap will only get stuck if it is put on wrong. We will be glad to get it off as it may require some force."

Errrr....some force is not what I'm willing to do to a lens....sigh.
11-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I did have to apply more force theen I was comfortable with; but outta frustration i guess I got to that point and got it off. But no, it wasn't force alone. I can't say for sure how I also twisted it @ the same time.
07-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #14

This happened to me - I put my Tamron lens rear cap (90mm /2.8) onto my sigma 30/1.4 and it wouldn't come off. But I was able to rotate the cap 15 degrees or so. It did come off eventually. I had to force twist it a little. Ridiculous that they cant get a 5 cent plastic piece right.
09-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
sac

I'm surprised this is the only listing of this problem I could find on the internet.

My pentax mz50 which has a Tamron Af 28-200 zoom attached to it, and decided it might be a good idea to separate the two, hadn't been used in over fifteen years, the batteries are dead, but thankfully havent leaked. There were also two rolls of unused film in the bag with expiry dates of 2005 and 1993!

Lens twisted off easily, and the original rear lens cap was still in the bag. Put it on the lens- seemed to go on easy enough, then realised I should put the lens back on the camera as I dont seem to have a protective cover for the open camera mount.

It wouldnt twist off, and yes had all the same problems as those listed above........and eventually after 15 mins of jiggling, squeezing at different points, pressing(cursing) it came off with only tiny bits of plastic filings around the lugs......hopefully no damage. (and no I cant describe what sequence eventually removed it)

Yes what a bad design! A looked closely at the inside of the cap and couldnt see any alignment marks giving an indication of how it should be refitted. All I could work out was that the Tamron brand on the back of it should be upright to the lens when fitting and that is the right way around, I have put a strong visible mark on the cap where it should line up with the red dot on the lens(like where it has on the camera body) to stop this happening again!

I wouldnt recommend putting something in the gap between the lens body and the cap to prise it off as there are many electrical contacts on the outer rim.

Hope this is going to be of help to someone.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-15-2018 at 04:54 PM.