Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax branded M lenses?

How's this for baseless speculation. Ricoh's bought more with Pentax than a mount, the ILC know-how, and a line of interesting cameras. They've bought quite a bit of expertise in making prime lenses.

Was part of their GXR "M" ambition the creation of a line of manual focus M lenses?

07-05-2011, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

You mean Leica mount, right? There actually already is one, the Leica thread mount version of the FA 43mm ltd:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/110265-pentax-l.html
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
You mean Leica mount, right? There actually already is one, the Leica thread mount version of the FA 43mm ltd:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/110265-pentax-l.html
Aha. I didn't know about that. So the design's already in the bag.

A second thought follows from the first. Ricoh might pursue its odd collection of mounts by making each a low-volume premium line. This would suit the 645D, the Q, the Limited lenses, and their relative small size. They're already doing it with the GXR and GRD (and arguably the Q). On the one hand we've got the great many-models, high-volume trio of Sony, Canon, and Nikon that they don't want to compete with, and on the other hand the existing premium brand seems to be struggling a bit. There's plenty of room in that space, I'd say.

I bet they've had a look at the remarkable profitability of a certain smartphone manufacturer and are getting thoughts.

(queue Internetpilot on 3, 2, 1...)
07-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
ogl
Banned

There is the user of Minolta rangefinder with 43 Limited Leica version at russian pentax-club.

Attached Images

Last edited by ogl; 07-06-2011 at 07:38 AM.
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There is the user of Minolta rangefinder with 43 Limited M version at russian pentax-club.
Now it just needs an Olympus camera strap!

Yes, I often forget about that trade with Leica for the 43mm ltd.
07-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
How's this for baseless speculation. Ricoh's bought more with Pentax than a mount, the ILC know-how, and a line of interesting cameras. They've bought quite a bit of expertise in making prime lenses.

Was part of their GXR "M" ambition the creation of a line of manual focus M lenses?
I really can't see them offering Pentax-K and Leica- M mount lenses, that would just get too confusing for the consumer. Especially a lens line-up that would work on just one module of just one of their cameras (as it stands today). Ditching the K-mount for the M-mount? Unlikely.

Strangely enough, Ricoh also offered an L-mount version of their superb GR 28mm lens.
07-06-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss and all other 3rd party lens makers make their lenses on several mounts.

I don't see wher is the problem in terms of customer awareness, outlet holding M-mount lenses are not the Best-Buy type, and people using rangefinders are most likely well aware of what they need.

However regarding the Pentax lenses, the FA43 was released in very small amounts in M39 mount not M-mount, this is like M42 vs K. IMO, there's a bit of work before Pentax would be able to release M-mount lenses like with RF coupling and moving from AF tune thread to a thread done fo manual focus.

According to Leica, there is a very high demand of M-mount lense now, so commercially it may make sense to release the FA limited in that mount (no licencing required, apart from the electronic encoding)

07-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There is the user of Minolta rangefinder with 43 Limited M version at russian pentax-club.
Wow, my favourite lens maker working with my favourite camera maker.

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
that would just get too confusing for the consumer
They already offer that zoom module with a small format sensor in it for GXR. Assuming for a moment that Ricoh knew quite some time ago that the Pentax purchase was in the works, I have to conclude that their announcement on the M front was considered to serve a different and complementary niche than either the fixed-lens modules or the K-mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
outlet holding M-mount lenses are not the Best-Buy type, and people using rangefinders are most likely well aware of what they need.
Hmm ... online distribution?

According to Leica, there is a very high demand of M-mount lense now, so commercially it may make sense
I bet there is demand, they're being parked on u43 bodies.
07-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

M mount has some electrical contacts not for use on later day leica cameras so there would be some licensing required, (people do chip there older lenses though from what I've seen on RFF - not being lucky enough to own a leica I can't comment on the intricacies.
the 43 ltd was a very limited run when the lens was launched (800 silver, 1200 black) I believe there may have been some partnership with Cosina on the mount (Can't remember where I read this)

That being said I think the m mount module on the gxr, and ricoh owning the pentax designs open up some possibilities of maybe a few unique lenses to take advantage of the module - For instance Wide Angle. Since the module is APS-C as are the M8.2 from leica and the old Epson which have quite a number of users a good apsc wide angle design for m mount could sell reasonable numbers IMO
I have to admit the Idea of a GXR with an M mount module and a K mount module is highly appealing (Not sure how easy it would be to use Nikon or canon mounts, but Sigma revers engineers the mounts as an example and don't pay license fees so I could see a module for those mounts as well (particularly if they keep sitting on there thumbs on MILC)
07-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

Zeiss and all other 3rd party lens makers make their lenses on several mounts.
However regarding the Pentax lenses, the FA43 was released in very small amounts in M39 mount not M-mount, this is like M42 vs K. IMO, there's a bit of work before Pentax would be able to release M-mount lenses like with RF coupling and moving from AF tune thread to a thread done fo manual focus.
Pentax 43/1.9 Limited
http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm

Leica Screw mount. Yes.
07-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The M mount module apparently will also have an LTM (M39) adapter available for it from what i have been reading (woohoo i can use my biogon 35 2.8 as a normal)
Not sure how they are going to manage the live view for the LCD with a Focal Plane shutter though (but this idea definitely helps with the original dustless concept as the sensor can be sealed behind the shutter)
07-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter

. . .

I bet there is demand, they're being parked on u43 bodies.
Those and their Voigtlander (Cosina) cousins. There are also a lot of DA LTD, FA Ltd and A50/1.2 there on u4/3 bodies. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Last edited by Blue; 07-06-2011 at 06:15 PM.
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

of course then the M club thread would take a whole new direction
07-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Not sure how they are going to manage the live view for the LCD with a Focal Plane shutter though
It pretty much has to be a mirror, doesn't it?

Pity about their not having products in Canada. The prices in Japan don't seem entirely unreasonable.
+ body
+ Viewfinder

Though this is north of $600...
+ A12 28mm
07-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A slight quibble on some of the above: LTM (Leica threadmount) RF lenses should numerically be referred to as L39, not M39. Russian M39 lenses (Industar, Jupiter, Helios, etc) for Zenit SLRs have the 39mm thread but a 45.46mm register, same as Pentax-Praktica. All the L39 lenses with a 39mm thread for RFs have the Leica 28.8mm register.

Then there are enlarger lenses. Many (not made in USA) have 39mm thread, but since they have no built-in focusing mechanism, the concept of 'register' doesn't really apply. So we can call those LTM or L39 or M39 or whatever, although LTM is best IMHO.

Just to keep us on our toes, Leica M bayonet-mount lenses have a 27.8mm register, shorter than LTM. So LTM lenses can be used (with adapter) on an M mount. In fact, *any* SLR or RF lenses that I know of can be adapted to M-mount. (Exceptions: NEX, m4/3, NX, K110.) So keep that old glass from Olympus (Pen-F, 4/3, OM), Konica, Canon, Fujica, Minolta, Exakta, Petri, Contax, Yashica, Nikon -- they'll all have a home.