Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Loose FA50mm 1.4 focus ring meets amazing dealer response.

Ok, so my new, 3 week old FA 50mm F1.4 which had been mounted twice and seen about 100 shots comes out for another session and blow me if there isn't now a good bit of play at the front end. Left to right, up and down, at full extension the focus ring feels as if it might fall off.
Discover this isn't the first forum record of such a fault and establish that the front should be pretty much rock solid. Oh dear! This is a birthday present to myself (Ok, I know I shouldn't have been using it!) so I need a new one in 4 days time.

Prepared myself to maybe be let down but was then hugely, hugely impressed with the service from the store I bought it from. Called up Monday morning, I live 40 miles away so they without quibble sent a courier to pick it up at lunch ! Called up on the Tuesday, yep it's faulty and they're sending a new one. Got it on Wednesday morning !!!!

Such a shame Pentax might have not got it totally right with the lens build on this particular model (In my instance at least) but stand up and take your bow SRS Microsystems here in the UK. Simply brilliant service.

07-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about your faulty lens, but very glad to hear about the excellent service you received. My FA50/1.4 has had 0 problems, knock on wood, and is one of my favorite lenses. Enjoy your Birthday present to yourself
07-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax must have been cutting cost on threadlock as some brand new lenses keep falling apart. Hopefully Ricoh will actually look into the QC issues.
07-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Pentax must have been cutting cost on threadlock as some brand new lenses keep falling apart. Hopefully Ricoh will actually look into the QC issues.
That is reportedly one of Ricoh's strengths. Don't know how accurate that is but I hope so as that would improve things a great deal IMHO at Pentax.

07-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

SRS are a fantastic shop; they hand-delivered a rented FA31 for my honeymoon so I got it on time when the postal strikes were on. Awesome customer service.
07-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

I've said it before and will say it again. SRS is simply the best Pentax/camera dealer in UK. Full stop. There was an occasion when they sent member of staff driving across the UK with rental lens after Royal Mail muddled up the delivery, just so customer had the rented lens in time... Show me one other shop to go that far...

I don't have to say I'm fairly regular customer with them (within the limits of my budget )