Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wide angle options ?

I currently own the Sigma 17-70 & am delighted with the lens - however I'm looking for a little more at the wide end to complement the 17-70 & was hoping for a few recommendations.

I've already discovered the sigma 10-20 which seems to be well respected, any better alternatives ?

thanks

simon

11-19-2007, 04:15 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
I currently own the Sigma 17-70 & am delighted with the lens - however I'm looking for a little more at the wide end to complement the 17-70 & was hoping for a few recommendations.

I've already discovered the sigma 10-20 which seems to be well respected, any better alternatives ?

thanks

simon

There's the Pentax 12-24. I don't own either lens so can't comment, but here's the basic specs for comparison:

Sigma 10-20, 83.5 x 81, 77mm filter , f4-5.6, 470g
Pentax 12-24, 83.5 x 87.5, 77mm filter, f4, 430g
11-19-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I have the Sigma 10-20mm and I love it!
This one was taken on Saturday @ 13mm. It's 2mm wider than the Pentax, although it's a stop slower at the long end.

Ultra-Wide is fun! (@10mm)

I'm sure you could get some GREAT images in Wales with either the Pentax or the Sigma.
11-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendation.

To be honest the Sigma 10-20 looks very much the favoured option, it's significantly less expensive than the Pentax

I intend using a polariser pretty much permanently & would like to know about the level of vignetting that I'm likely to encounter ?

thanks

Simon

11-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well no doubt that the Sigma 10-20 is able to produce excelelnt results, there are however quite a few other options as well.

Primes:
DA14:
Excellent performer, excellent lens in all respects (one of my personal favourites)
and resonably fast (f2.8)
Go here for a number of samples:
Zenfolio | Duplo Photography | Pentax DA 14mm f2.8 IF
Zenitar 16mm Fisheye:
Seems to be performing quite well too and has a lot of followers here.
Full manual lens though.
Tamron 14mm:
Sean (Carpents) has one and really likes it.

Zoom (aside from the 10-20)
Sigma 12-24:
I have heard good about it, but is a big and heavy bugger of a FF lens.
DA12-24:
Seems to be producing excellents results, I have no deep personal experience with it though.
Constant f4. a tad slow at night though.
DA10-17FE:
A very fun well constructed and overall excellent lens. similar FOW to the DA14mm at 17mjm.
A load of examples can be found here:
Zenfolio | Duplo Photography | Pentax DA 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 Fisheye

Probably a lot more around, but those were the "off the top of my head" ones...

My personal favourites are the DA14 and DA10-17 in the range, but that is a very personal preference.
11-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Had both of them, Sigma 10-20 and Pentax 12-24, for a week. AF is equally fast, but Sigma is sharper when wide open, wider, cheaper of two, and less prone of chromatic aberrations.
Tested them together with my 16-45

My tip is: buy Sigma 10-20 AND Pentax 10-17 fisheye, then you have the best of both worlds.
11-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Well no doubt that the Sigma 10-20 is able to produce excelelnt results, there are however quite a few other options as well.

Zenitar 16mm Fisheye:
Seems to be performing quite well too and has a lot of followers here.
Full manual lens though.
They no longer import the Zenitar, so it might be a little hard to find.
Although from what I've seen it's a wonderful lens.

I'd keep my eyes open in the marketplace on this site for them if you want one.

11-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi simon

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
I'm looking for a little more at the wide end to complement the 17-70
I obviously haven't the faintest idea what budget you have at your disposal, but your choice really comes down to two things. If you like your wide-angle images to appear rectilinear, IMHO the Sigma 10-20mm is simply a 'no-brainer' ! You'd also be surprised what a luxury it is to be able to 'frame' your image perfectly with the invaluable wide-zoom facility. If however you like photographs with the typical edge-curvature distortion of a fish-eye, then plump for Pentax's DA10-17FE with (144/92.5 vert/horiz) degree view. I'd find it hard to believe that that you'd be disappointed with either of these wonderful lenses, but you can see from my user profile below which one I went for ! Incidentally, you may have difficulties obtaining the Sigma 10-20mm in Pentax mount, due to the two break-ins which Sigma Imaging UK suffered some months ago at their warehouse. I had to wait until last week to finally obtain mine from SRS !

Best regards
Richard
11-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
If you like your wide-angle images to appear rectilinear, IMHO the Sigma 10-20mm is simply a 'no-brainer' ! You'd also be surprised what a luxury it is to be able to 'frame' your image perfectly with the invaluable wide-zoom facility.
Is it... I would have called the DA14 the same... guess it reall depends on how you prefer to work. But yeah the 10-20 can turn out some great photos, but it really depends on how you prefer to work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
If however you like photographs with the typical edge-curvature distortion of a fish-eye, then plump for Pentax's DA10-17FE with (144/92.5 vert/horiz) degree view.
That we can completely agree on though, a fun lens capable of great results
11-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi Duplo

Re your question:

Sigma's 10-20mm rectilinear lens: Is it ?

I'm no expert in this matter, but I'd simply ask you to read the following quotes:

QuoteQuote:
Manufacturer's Description
Sigma is adding a new 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG lens group. This new rectilinear 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF lens provides focal lengths from 15mm ultra-wide angle to 30mm wide-angle and is the first of its kind in the world.
QuoteQuote:
Sigma 10-20mm Strengths:
Build quality, optical sharpness, price (a much better deal than Canon's 10-22), flare control, fast and quiet focussing, and very rectilinear image (most important IMHO).
QuoteQuote:
The 10-20mm is a rectilinear lens with a far smaller field of view.
QuoteQuote:
This is quite simply one of the great Sigma products. It is well built. Highly accurate rectilinear lens which means there is little bending of straight lines.
QuoteQuote:
We recommend this camera to Esate Agents and Travel Companies wanting to shoot wide angle pictures. This is a high quaility lens and is termed 'rectilinear', this means there is no distortion often associated with wide angle pictures. In a recent test it scored better than the more expensive Nikon and Canon lenses.
QuoteQuote:
You will get much sharper, cleaner, rectilinear images with the Sigma 10-20mm.
QuoteQuote:
You want the rectilinear lens (Sigma 10-20mm)

QuoteQuote:
The Sigma 10-20mm is a linear wide angle without the defining characteristics of a fisheye.
QuoteQuote:
The Sigma 10-20mm is not a fisheye. No curvature is achieved.
Case proven, m'Lord !!!!!

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Revisiting your reply again, it occurred to me that you might have meant that the DA14 is a 'no-brainer' ?
If so, after all that effort I will simply go down to the nearest cliff and throw myself over !!!!!

Last edited by Confused; 11-20-2007 at 03:00 PM.