Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA14 - discontinued?

Today I was browsing pages of SRS (my favourite and perhaps best UK Pentax stockist) and noticed one obvious omission.
The DA14 is not listed anymore. Goes anyone know whether it's still in production?

Also DA*50-135 has suspiciously low price....any rumors on that one?

thanks

Peter

07-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

In the U.S., BH, Adorama and Pentax Imaging still have it. I doubt anything official will come out until after Oct 1. The 50-135 is at $959
07-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
SPB

Too fast turnover of items if you ask me. Are all the other big name manufacturers the same?
07-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't check other manufactorers to be honest....

07-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
SPB

Me too to be frank. However it does niggle me that the "life" of a product seems to be getting less and less. I would rather more quality and control of that quality, a slightly higher price and have something that I would keep longer. Of course I see from the business side that may not be perfect, if turnover is the all-important thing. I mean photography like most hobbies ain't cheap.
07-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
Forum Member

Not sure about the 50-135, you kinda got my hopes up there! Still more expensive than my house.
07-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's still in production AFAIK. It's the only fast ultrawide offering Pentax has right now!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery
We can still order it overhere in The Netherlands. It is a great lens, I have a copy, but not many own this lens.

899 euro for 50-135mm, I do think that prices aren't going up at the moment. DA*300mm is 995 euro.
07-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
We can still order it overhere in The Netherlands. It is a great lens, I have a copy, but not many own this lens.

899 euro for 50-135mm, I do think that prices aren't going up at the moment. DA*300mm is 995 euro.
I believe for EU folks it would be cheaper to import the lens from UK now. SRS is showing it at £635!!! VERY tempting if you ask me...
07-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

I think one of the reasons more people don't own this lens is due to the "reputation" it has for mustache distortion. I have come really close to getting it a couple of times myself.
07-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think one of the reasons more people don't own this lens is due to the "reputation" it has for mustache distortion. I have come really close to getting it a couple of times myself.

That could be part of the reason Blue. I've almost pulled the trigger on this one a couple of times myself. I've been reluctant not because of distortion issues but the fact I seldom need a really wide angle lens. I had a chance to handle one in a local camera store a while back. I do like the 2.8 speed and close focusing abilities but it is a really hefty piece of glass. I suspect carrying this lens around one's neck all day would be a chore. That being said the results I've seen from the DA 14mm club look stunning. If I were seriously in the market for a lens of this focal length I think I would select this one over the DA 15/4 as I always like the extra speed.

Tom G
07-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
That could be part of the reason Blue. I've almost pulled the trigger on this one a couple of times myself. I've been reluctant not because of distortion issues but the fact I seldom need a really wide angle lens. I had a chance to handle one in a local camera store a while back. I do like the 2.8 speed and close focusing abilities but it is a really hefty piece of glass. I suspect carrying this lens around one's neck all day would be a chore. That being said the results I've seen from the DA 14mm club look stunning. If I were seriously in the market for a lens of this focal length I think I would select this one over the DA 15/4 as I always like the extra speed.

Tom G
The biggest reason I haven't got it is because I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify the expense. I would like to see them tweak the formula just a bit to deal with the distortion and release it as WR rather than discontinuing it.
07-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
.... I would like to see them tweak the formula just a bit to deal with the distortion and release it as WR rather than discontinuing it.
+1 to this. Slightly tweaked with regards to distortion and SDM WR would be nice...

But then, I wouldn't mind wider than that (11mm/2.8 DA*)

And first I'd want 24/25/26 f2 DA*
07-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I thought the problem with the DA14 was field curvature in close & lack of sharpness at infinity focus?
07-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I thought the problem with the DA14 was field curvature in close & lack of sharpness at infinity focus?
The sharpness of this lens is actually decent at any distance when in focus. The problem is field curvature at normal shooting distance. When the centre hits infinity, the focus of both sides is much closer. When both sides hit infinity, the centre goes beyond. The work around is to let the centre goes beyond infinity and stop down to f11. This way, the whole frame is reasonably sharp, but never as sharp as "in focus". At least 2 of my 3 copies (didn't test the 1st one I had) behave this way so it's probably part of the design. At closeup distance, it doesn't suffer much.

I tested my 3rd and current copy against a wall at less a metre. As you can see from the full size picture below, all 4 tips are sharp, so is the centre. However, the highlighted porton is a little blurry. This is inline with the mustache distortion and the severe field curvature that I have experienced.

http://www.pbase.com/wlachan/image/136349622/original.jpg

Last edited by wlachan; 07-11-2011 at 11:58 PM.