Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

pop photo's SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 review

article link

not bad!

11-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I own this lens and it's fantastic when I can get the DOF under control. Lately I've been having troubles getting the lens to focus where the indicator says it will. I notice it most with high contrast scenes, the lens tends to focus on the darker areas no matter where the AF point says it is focusing. It has been a real headache to be honest, but when it gets it right, I've never seen anything better.

This lens imparts a seemingly 3D effect to my photos.

SLC
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a similar issue when I shoot at apertures greater than 2. But that's the point of this lens. I normally shoot in manual focus, so I run into problems. I find switching to auto focus, getting the focus I want then switching back out the manual helps.
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sometime I wonder why I am selling this lens. I suppose having it and never using it is a crime in some regards.

11-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
I have a similar issue when I shoot at apertures greater than 2. But that's the point of this lens. I normally shoot in manual focus, so I run into problems. I find switching to auto focus, getting the focus I want then switching back out the manual helps.
In my case I am trying to get the bokeh in the background of a portrait, I use the center focus point (just to be sure) focus it on the subjects face, and then somehow when I bring it up on the computer, the subject is out of focus and the background is in focus. I can't figure it out.

But like I said, when I can get it to cooperate, there's nothing quite as nice.

SLC
11-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SLC Flyfishing Quote
In my case I am trying to get the bokeh in the background of a portrait, I use the center focus point (just to be sure) focus it on the subjects face, and then somehow when I bring it up on the computer, the subject is out of focus and the background is in focus. I can't figure it out.

But like I said, when I can get it to cooperate, there's nothing quite as nice.

SLC
I have the exact same issues with my copy on my K10D. At first I thought it was back focussing, which it was a little. I sent it to Pentax and they fixed that. However, I still have the problem with the focussing, especially when the subject is at lest 6 feet away and the background is farther (10+feet) behind the subject. When I try to reproduce the problem at home with a stuffed animal or other "willing" model, I can't. The darn thing focusses perfectly. Then out in the field, 1 in every 3 shots is not focussed properly. I too use the center focus point. A bit of mystery and very frustrating. Though it is worth the frustration, when I get a properly focussed photograph!
11-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
I have the exact same issues with my copy on my K10D. At first I thought it was back focussing, which it was a little. I sent it to Pentax and they fixed that. However, I still have the problem with the focussing, especially when the subject is at lest 6 feet away and the background is farther (10+feet) behind the subject. When I try to reproduce the problem at home with a stuffed animal or other "willing" model, I can't. The darn thing focusses perfectly. Then out in the field, 1 in every 3 shots is not focussed properly. I too use the center focus point. A bit of mystery and very frustrating. Though it is worth the frustration, when I get a properly focussed photograph!
Perhaps you're falling victim to this: photojournalista: Focus recompose at F1.8, DON'T! ?
11-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #8

Yeah, that makes sense MattDM. But even when I don't recompose, the lens will focus on the distant background and not the subject even though the focus point is saying it will. I need to know if it's a lens issue or a camera issue, but since this is my only fast lens I can't decide definitively.

Bwoods

11-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Same problem I got for mine, but then when i put my camera on a flat surface and take the pic, the focus is all good... i am talking taking pic of my lego characters, they are all in focus... my guess is even a little movement after your camera say is in focus, it will throw u off focus.

( and my DFA 100mm Marco has no problem focusing at f2.8... I guess because it is below f1.8..)