Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
what are takumars?

Sorry for my ignorance, but being a pentax newbie, I gotta ask, what is a takumar, a super takumar and how do they differ from "normal" pentax lenses? Thanks in advance.

07-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Takumars are lenses, mostly in the M42 mount but a few in the K series mount, that are from Asahi and predate the Pentax name (mostly). They come in a variety of flavors - Takumar, Auto Takumar, Super Takumar, etc.

Check out this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/99767-comprehe...ml#post1026061

And this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html#post285576

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-10-2011 at 10:56 AM.
07-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
Also, see Google.
07-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,863



07-10-2011, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
The original Takumars were for the Asahiflex camera and were M37 mount. Production switched to M42 mount with the introduction of the Pentax in 1957. The Auto-Takumar was introduced in 1958 with the Pentax K. The Super Takumar (with a single coating) was introduced in 1964 with the Spotmatic. Super-Multi-Coated in 1971 and SMC in 1973.

The Takumar Bayonet was introduced as a bargain brand without multi-coatings.

The brand name derives from Japanese painter Takuma Kajiwara who was a relative of both the founder of Asahi (Kumao Kajiwara) and the president of the company (Saburo Matsumoto).
07-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
.....The brand name derives from Japanese painter Takuma Kajiwara who was a relative of both the founder of Asahi (Kumao Kajiwara) and the president of the company (Saburo Matsumoto).
I did not know that, thanks.
07-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deep Forest
Posts: 630
Now the question has been answered I'll take this opportunity to interject some humor:

Q: "What is TAKUMAR?"

A: "I keep buying them trying to answer that for myself!"
07-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The original Takumars were for the Asahiflex camera and were M37 mount. Production switched to M42 mount with the introduction of the Pentax in 1957. The Auto-Takumar was introduced in 1958 with the Pentax K. The Super Takumar (with a single coating) was introduced in 1964 with the Spotmatic. Super-Multi-Coated in 1971 and SMC in 1973.
The Super-Takumar series was introduced in 1962 with the Asahi Pentax SV/Honeywell Pentax H3v. not in 1964. and the Super-Takumars weren't single coated, they just weren't 'Super-Multi-Coated' which was a special type of multi-coating.

there were also lenses made for other cameras, branded 'Takumar', manufactured by Asahi Optical.


Last edited by séamuis; 07-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.
07-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,395
As Marc said...Google:

Takumar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
07-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deep Forest
Posts: 630
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
The Super-Takumar series was introduced in 1962 with the Asahi Pentax SV/Honeywell Pentax H3v. not in 1964. and the Super-Takumars weren't single coated, they just weren't 'Super-Multi-Coated' which was a special type of multi-coating.

there were also lenses made for other cameras, branded 'Takumar', manufactured by Asahi Optical.
Reference please!

According to Gerjan, the first ST lens is the 1:3.5/35, introduced in 1962. The SV/H3v was supplied in 1962-1964 with Auto-Tak 1:1.4/50, then from 1964, after slight modifications, with the ST 1:1.4/50.

I've seen 3 coatings as the number for ST, S-M-C have 7 (or more) coats.
07-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Reference please!

According to Gerjan, the first ST lens is the 1:3.5/35, introduced in 1962. The SV/H3v was supplied in 1962-1964 with Auto-Tak 1:1.4/50, then from 1964, after slight modifications, with the ST 1:1.4/50.

I've seen 3 coatings as the number for ST, S-M-C have 7 (or more) coats.
You might want to reread a few sections of the book if you own it because you are pretty far off my friend.

the first super-takumars were introduced in 1962. the first version of the 1:2 super-takumar 55mm and the 1.8 55mm were introduced in 1962. I have his book as well, though I didn't cite it. he lists the 'standard lens' for the SV/H3v to be the Super-Takumar 1.8 55mm. all the brochures and literature I have ever seen shows the SV/H3v with Super-Takumars. (including the SV brochure I own.) the Auto-Takumar series ended in 1962, with the introduction of the SV/H3v. the SV/H3v's were indeed the first models to carry Super-Takumars, and they did so two years before the spotmatic was introduced. thus my original statement is correct.

also there was never an Auto-Takumar 1.4 50. the 50mm 1.4 didn't get introduced until 1964, and the SV/H3v was never supplied with a 1.4/50. as I stated above, the standard lens was the 1.8 55mm. the 50mm 1.4 become the 'standard' with the spotmatic in 1964.

Last edited by séamuis; 07-10-2011 at 02:37 PM.
07-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deep Forest
Posts: 630
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
You might want to reread a few sections of the book if you own it because you are pretty far off my friend.

the first super-takumars were introduced in 1962. the first version of the 1:2 super-takumar 55mm and the 1.8 55mm were introduced in 1962. I have his book as well, though I didn't cite it. he lists the 'standard lens' for the SV/H3v to be the Super-Takumar 1.8 55mm. all the brochures and literature I have ever seen shows the SV/H3v with Super-Takumars. (including the SV brochure I own.) the Auto-Takumar series ended in 1962, with the introduction of the SV/H3v. the SV/H3v's were indeed the first models to carry Super-Takumars, and they did so two years before the spotmatic was introduced. thus my original statement is correct.

also there was never an Auto-Takumar 1.4 50. the 50mm 1.4 didn't get introduced until 1964, and the SV/H3v was never supplied with a 1.4/50. as I stated above, the standard lens was the 1.8 55mm. the 50mm 1.4 become the 'standard' with the spotmatic in 1964.
Thanks for being nice. A careful re-reading of what Gerjan wrote shows you are absolutely correct on every point! (Arghh! I must stop attempting technical research 'before coffee'. Poor excuse, eh?)
07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
The other answer to WHAT ARE TAKUMARS? is: Damn fine little lenses, some of Leica quality optically, usually very solidly built -- and even the less-prized ones are better than most of the competition! Being mostly M42 mount, they are easily adapted to most other (d)SLR cameras (except Nikon), so those damn Canonites and Sonyists keep snatching them up, tearing them from the RIPPED & BLEEDING HANDS OF DESERVING, IMPOVERISHED PENTAXIANS! Oh, the humanity...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, takumar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5d for my old takumars? fikkser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 02-14-2011 03:32 AM
takumars 1,4/50 7 different versions estudleon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 11-20-2010 06:52 PM
Nice set of Takumars JP_Seattle Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 01-21-2010 05:21 PM
a few Takumars séamuis Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 09-18-2009 10:40 PM
For Sale - Sold: Two Super Takumars Curbster54 Sold Items 5 07-20-2009 06:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top