Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

DA* 55 in the UK...

Well I've been getting into shooting portraits and similar things - mainly using my DA 40mm & 70mm. Now I love these two lenses, but I've increasingly found more and more of my shots are gagging for less depth of field (in my opinion I guess...) and a crazy bokeh.

I love the 70mm but I'm just not using it much as the length just seems that bit long (and the close focusing a bit short!), so I'm sort of 'making do' with the 40mm. The results are cool but... I just feel I should get the 55mm or maybe the Siggy 50mm. The problem lies in price!

I love Pentax lenses and would love to stay 'in-house', but the cheapest at a reputable place is about 600 - that's $950. I'm sure they weren't that much recently!! Whereas the Sigma seems to be going for around 380 last i checked ($600).

So in short - what would you do?! I'm willing to sell/trade the 70mm and maybe at a stretch the 40mm although it would be a wrench. Also got a Tokina 20-35 f2.8 & the DA II kit lens that are expendable and could be thrown into a deal.

Tell me if I'm a moany git and get on with the pretty good kit I've got!

07-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you know, there's always the FA50mm f/1.4
07-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are prepared to go MF, we are many Pentaxians who can recommend the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4.

The VL58 lens has an excellent IQ and superb built quality, and it can be highly recommended lens (Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Lens Reviews - Fixed Focal Lengths - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database).

The lens can be found at Adorama in K-mount (BA239K Voigtlander 58 F1.4 Sl ii F/pentax) for US$414.

Worth to consider...
07-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

I'd say buy the bullet.
I sold FA43 and FA77 for DA*55 + other lens + spare cash. I do miss the FAs but I never used them nowhere near as much as 55. That lens is worth the cash...
Shame you didn't want one month ago. There was reputable dealer from Scotland that was selling second hand one for 449....

As far as Sigma goes. Their 50/1.4 is bigger than DA*55. Lacks WR. But focuses faster.

OOF wide open is quirky on both lenses. While Sigma produces onion rings, the DA* makes circular highlights even in thin air under the "right" conditions...

07-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I thought about the FA, but I am one of those sticklers who loves build quality. The really annoying type who frowns on 90's plastic styling for no good reason...

And yeah the Nokton does sound appealing - but I'm torn with having it completely manual focus. I've really grown accustomed to the quickshift, but having AF to get it in the right ballpark. So I guess MF is a no!

I'm guessing the lens in Scotland is from ffordes?! I asked about it! they never got back though so I guess I just missed the boat - ended up getting the 70mm instead. What a get-up you have by the way axl, pretty much my dream lenses!

Thanks for your input, guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hander or debate selling my current setup! Nice one guys.
07-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This lens is hugely expensive in the UK, which is a shame. Second hand ones are very rare.
07-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This lens is hugely expensive in the UK, which is a shame. Second hand ones are very rare.
+1 to this
It's very rare to come across used DA*55 and prices of new are from 599 upwards...
07-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markos Quote

I'm guessing the lens in Scotland is from ffordes?! I asked about it! they never got back though so I guess I just missed the boat - ended up getting the 70mm instead. What a get-up you have by the way axl, pretty much my dream lenses!

Thanks for your input, guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hander or debate selling my current setup! Nice one guys.
yes, it was ffordes, SRS had one too but that was 4 months back....
sell 40 and 70 for 55? Worth every penny doing so IMO. I sold 43 and 77 for my and don't really regret...
Waiting for 2nd hand one? Good luck...

07-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
ah man! might have to look into robbing as a career.
07-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

ah man! might have to look into robbing as a career.
You could always get a new copy from the US for about 400-425 shipped, or a used copy for 350-375 shipped. I realize you'd have to avoid import taxes to make it worthwhile, but doing that is still less risky than robbing people
07-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The smc PENTAX-A 1:1.4 50mm is an excellent portrait lens especially on APS-C. It will not disappoint. Get the rectangular lens hood for it too.
07-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Make me an offer for mine .. I rarely use it and it deserves better.
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Mike P - did you mean that?! I've sent a PM anyway.

Sell it to me I don't know why but it will be the best decision ever.
07-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

Mike P - did you mean that?! I've sent a PM anyway.

Sell it to me I don't know why but it will be the best decision ever.
good luck!
07-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
Forum Member

Okay, time to put my head above the parapet..I bought the one from FFordes. They are usually slightly more from them, but the service if anything goes wrong is very good. They are very precise with their grading as well, and good to sell through.

The lens is superb, that is probably why they don't come up for sale often. Some report front/back focus, but this one is spot on. The dof can be very shallow, but the lens is sharp.

I took these in the first few days of having the lens, so excuse the cheesy smiles, I was just trying the lens out.

If it is on offer then buy it, mine was as new at the price I paid at FFordes.
Nigel